KMeleonWiki > Documentation > Tutorials > KMPortable
Tutorial by desga2
How to make K-Meleon Portable.
You can find this old K-Meleon portable versions:
I don't think that a K-Meleon 1.5.x Portable version is needed.
You can convert standard K-Meleon 1.5.x in portable easilly.
- Go to K-Meleon Download page and download English (full package) 7zip package without installer, and 7z localization package (locales only) if you like it.
- Unzip 7z files in your USB memory device. (first full package, second locales only if you downloaded it)
- Download dll files or copy from your computer the needed libraries (msvcp71.dll, msvcr71.dll) to your K-Meleon folder in your USB memory device. (This files are included in K-Meleon with installer versions, you can extract files from installers exe with 7zip)
- Create a "profile.ini" file in your USB memory device K-Meleon folder.
- Copy the plugins you use in your USB memory device K-Meleon's plugins subfolder. For example copy Flash plugin NPSWF32.dll and all others that you want or need. Remember you can use Help -> About Plugins in your disk installed K-Meleon to know the dll files for each plugin.
- Now start K-Meleon from your USB memory device and set Preferences; Cache, History, Cookies.
In cache preferences, uncheck "Cache files on disk" option, and set "Cache files in memory" to 20 or 30 MB, optional: you can uncheck also "cache website icons on disk" option.
In history, set "Keep a list of all pages visited..." option to 0 (zero) days.
Set others privacy options as cookies and remember login data as you like it.
You can deleted setdefault.exe and loader.exe in your USB memory device K-Meleon folder because I don't think they would be needed on portable version.
How to avoid xpcom_core.dll create an empty directory in %appdata% folder.
I founded this old Netscape documentation to hack xpcom.dll and with this documentation and with a bit of reverse engineering that I remembered having used at any other time I can modified K-Meleon's xpcom_core.dll to avoid this empty folder in %appdata% directory.
- You need a Hexadecimal editor tool. I used ICY Hexplorer because is GNU, light size and hin NSIS installer only uncompress files (not registry/system entrys).
- If you downloaded ICY Hexplorer, I recomended change this options to see better:
Go to View -> Options... menu and change font to "Fixed Roman Large" and colors to "Matrix 3".
- Open K-Meleon's xpcom_core.dll file in the HexEditor.
- Click in Find button in toolbar or Edit -> Find... (Ctrl+F)
- Type "K-Meleon" (without double quotes) in Text box and click in Find button.
- Now you have selected "K-Meleon" text (4B2D4D656C656F6E in hex code) in xpcom_core.dll file. Press "0" (zero) button in toolbar to Reset Selection or go to menu Edit -> Operation -> Reset Selection.
- Now where was the text "K-Meleon" there isn't nothing and left hex codes are also all to zero. Save changes in file, File -> Save.
You can download from here the modified file resulted: xpcom_core.dll
Note: This xpcom_core.dll file could not be upgraded to the latest version of K-Meleon.