In November 2002, a timeline was developed leading up to K-Meleon 1.0. One of the major questions is how we handle updates and major releases. In the past, updating the core and components files required so many changes that doing a mid-version upgrade was difficult, if not impossible, to do cleanly. However, if we can upgrade an existing release to use new Mozilla code, we might be able to do updates with every Mozilla release.
Updated: December 24, 2003
- Target major releases to every other major Mozilla milestone. Right now, Mozilla is releasing final builds approximately every 3 months. I think we can offer betas more frequently but do we think our regular users want to run through an upgrade every 3 months?
The Mozilla site only lists releases since Mozilla 1.6. Ill update this schedule when this roadmap is extended.
- We should offer updated plugins every 1.5 months. This would allow enough time for development and testing before making them available to regular users. It's important to keep this regular for user-support and testing. We don't want 10 versions of a plugin floating around out there.
- We should make new plugins available as they are ready after appropriate testing and development.
- Between major releases, we should offer an update package that includes the new and improved plugins. It would help regular users stay current with K-Meleon.
- Because of critical bug fixes needed in K-Meleon 0.8, we wont really get onto the normal timeline until the release of K-Meleon 0.9.
- November 11, 2003: K-Meleon 0.8 released based on Mozilla 1.5.
- December 13, 2003: K-Meleon 0.8.1 released based on Mozilla 1.5.
- December 23, 2003: K-Meleon 0.8.2 released based on Mozilla 1.5. Service Pack for 0.8.1 installations also released.
- February 2004: K-Meleon 0.9 release based on Mozilla 1.7.
This is not following the schedule outlined above because K-Meleon 0.8 was released after Mozilla 1.5 which itself was released late by the Mozilla roadmap.
- Mid-March 2004: New and updated plugins posted for public
- May 2004: Upgrade package
- Mid-June 2004: New and updated plugins posted for public
- August 2004: K-Meleon 1.0 release based on Mozilla 1.9
If we reach our 1.0 goals before August 2004, we would need to revise that schedule.