Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Built in Support For Scroll Wheel
Posted by: George
Date: December 16, 2005 11:26PM

Netscape 4.8 has built in support for a Mouse/Trackball Scroll becuase the Scroll Wheel of My Logitech Trackball works in Netscape 4.8 without even the befault windows mouse driver without even having logitech mouseware or a wheel mouse driver installed. By default Windows, Internet Explorer, and Kmeleon do not support scroll wheels of mice and trackballs. And find this very convenient in Netscape 4.8 because the scroll wheel works instantly without having to click the web page and those two other browsers do not work at all unless you have some mouse or trackball driver that support and activate the scroll wheel for windows which allows IE and Kmeleon to use the scroll wheel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Built in Support For Scroll Wheel
Posted by: bst82551
Date: December 17, 2005 12:24AM

Well, why don't you just get the driver? I don't think it'd be too hard. My labtec optical mouse with a scroll wheel works just fine in K-Meleon and every other window with a scroll bar. Just try finding the driver.
I could even look for it if you'd like. Just give me the model name/number that is on the box and i'll look it up for you.
Is there any particular reason you haven't installed this driver? I just want to make sure I understand everything first.

Brian

Date: December 17, 2005 12:26AM

If you'd like to find it yourself, here's the place to find the driver (I think).

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/categories/US/EN,CRID=1780

Brian

Posted by: Georgee
Date: December 17, 2005 11:19AM

May becuase I don't want driver. And already know to find most drivers and do not need to tell me where to look for like I am moron who couldn't even find the sun at high noon. I just thought is was nice feature that Netscape 4.8 supporting a scroll wheel by default so the scoll wheel would work with the default mouse driver that Microsoft Windows always installs instead of searching for the mouse driver.

If an ancient browser such as Netscape Communicator 4.8 can support scroll wheels natively why can't Kmeleon support scroll wheels natively. Netscape 4.8 does this very well and this makes IE look pathetic becuase it doesn't support scroll wheels natively without special software or drivers.

Posted by: CaptnBlack
Date: December 17, 2005 02:14PM

If you have a scroll wheel mouse installed in windows, the scroll wheel should scroll any window with a scrollbar, it's built into Windows, not the browser.
Unless your talking about some form of autoscroll, the scroll wheel should work the same for all apps, except of course you can have different scroll speed for some apps.

Date: December 17, 2005 02:23PM

You might also need Tweakui to tweak the Xmouse settings.
"Activation follows mouse" should be checked, and you need to set a time delay of at least 150 ms.

Posted by: Enaitz Jar
Date: December 17, 2005 02:36PM

I prefer to find myself the drivers for everything better than annoying people with stupid request. If K-Meleon should have any drivers on world it will weight as an OS.

Because Windows is prepared to be used by averyone, no matter how lazy or stupid you are, this does not mean K-Meleon is going this way.

PS. I know you are not a moron, but you may be a bit lazy, man.

Date: December 17, 2005 06:27PM

You are wrong about the scroll function being built into Windows becuase the scroll wheel on Logitech Trackman Wheel doesn't work unless you have some driver or software that allows it to work. I have Windows 98 Second Edition. Only Netscape Communicator 4.8 without having any special drivers or software installed.

Some people use the default windows mouse driver so including native support for a scroll wheel in Kmeleon makes sense.

One of the reason that I prefer Netscape Communicator 4.8 is that it natively supports things that windows and IE do not without some special software or drivers.

Date: December 17, 2005 06:44PM

No I'm not wrong, I use default windows drivers for my generic optical mouse with scroll wheel, and it scrolls any window with a scroll bar up or down.
I see now you're talking about some special feature that's not a default function of most mice.

Special mouse = special drivers.

Why burden everyone by including specific instructions for one mouse, when all you need to do is install the drivers to make it work.
I think that's a bit unrealistic, unless you want to add this special function yourself.

Posted by: Al.
Date: December 17, 2005 10:36PM

Actually considering the state of "non-development" at the moment making requests like this is a bit silly considering. When you take into account all the different mouse/trackball etc. out there, it would be a mountainous task for any developer to consider.

Date: December 18, 2005 03:44AM

I didn't think you were an idiot.

Is there any particular reason you haven't installed this driver? I just want to make sure I understand everything first.

That is my way of telling you that if I am misunderstanding what you want, that I want you to explain it with a little more detail. I do not think you are an idiot.

Brian

Posted by: Drahken
Date: December 19, 2005 12:09PM

There is no point adding something like this to a browser because it is a system function not a browser one. If your OS doesn't have a built-in mousewheel driver and you didn't install the driver that came with the mouse, why should the browser coddle you? Additionally, non-antique OSes already have built-in mousewheel drivers, so why should a browser duplicate a feature that already exists on most current computers? If you made the choice to keep using 98 instead of updating, then either install the dirvers or deal with the lack of features.

Date: December 19, 2005 08:07PM

I don't update becuase for my purposes, XP in nothing but crap becuase it can not boot directly into DOS like 98 can. The browser would not coddle me becuase adding that feature would be improvement even if do not think it is. For example if you can not find a driver for you mouse/trackball or if the driver is buggy for a particular mouse/trackball with a scroll wheel. Adding this feature would allow the scroll wheel to work even if the mouse drivers work with the mouse/trackball correctly with the scroll wheel.

And it would not be difficult implement this feature in Kmeleon becuase the ancient browser Netscape Communicator 4.8 supports it easily and programmers that created 4.8 may have less skills than programmers today. Becuase thier have improvements in programming techniques and languages.

Also thier is even dos mouse driver cute mouse 2.0 alpha4 supports so it should be easy to implement it in Kmeleon or other gecko base browsers. If Kmeleon can support mouse gestures it should easily be able support a scroll wheel with a bit of programming.

Posted by: rmn
Date: December 20, 2005 02:13AM

> And it would not be difficult implement this feature in Kmeleon becuase the ancient browser Netscape Communicator 4.8 supports it easily and programmers that created 4.8 may have less skills than programmers today. Becuase thier have improvements in programming techniques and languages.

But then, you can't call Microsoft programmers dumb either (if you ignore all the jokes out there). So what's the reason for IE not having that feature? Perhaps because that kind of thing should be handled by the OS, not individual applications. And the OS already has a way to get it working: the driver.

I still don't understand why you don't want to install the driver. If you install it, you get your scroll wheel working in every program, not just Netscape Communicator.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: December 20, 2005 08:49AM

XP in nothing but crap because it can not boot directly into DOS like 98 can
The big laugh of the end of the year. I have to thank you for that. Long time I didn't hear a comment so stupid. DOS is an old piece of @!#$, and there is only masochist to still use W9x.

Funny, you're also talking about Netscape 4.x because netscape 4 is the crappiest browser ever.

But you're right about the fact it's easy to implement.
Why not doing it yourself ?

Posted by: mark307
Date: December 20, 2005 02:10PM

@George
I'm ready to help you. But I don't know about your mouse. Can you take information about yours to me? I think you have to use Spy++ (with Visual C++), wspy (with Open Watcom), Winspector Spy, etc. If you can't do it, may I borrow the mouse?
Thanks.

Date: December 20, 2005 05:47PM

If dos is such as peice of @!#$ how can people creating FREEDOS and using it. Becuase DOS is not a peice of @!#$. Becuase Windows is more peice of @!#$ than DOS ever will be becuase more can go wrong Windows than DOS. And most DOS problems are user problems and with Windows it is exact opposite becuase it caused by buggy Windows drivers, programs, and OS bugs. I did not say XP is a peice of @!#$ for everyone and anyone who thinks everyone should use XP is the real idot becuase somethings work better with other OSES than it does with XP. The rather have a computer virus than Wait for Microsoft to add a feature becuase they virtually never get it right and never come up with their own ideas and the programmmers have to be the dumbest programmers in the market they never have original ideas. Becuase Windows is a swipe of earlier Apple/Machitosh Graphical OS. And Microsoft Windows should come with Welcome Mat that says that are All Computer Viruses are Welcome Here becuase Microsoft Allways adds features such as ActiveX without adding security features to them to prevent hackers and computer viruses from corrupting windowss. It is possible with Windows to be infected viruses by several times a day. With DOS people have used it for years before having a virus infection which makes DOS in some ways better than. And also, if Windows is good it would not have either a DOS-box or command-line utilities becuase it does show that somethings work a better in DOS or on the command line.

Date: December 20, 2005 07:45PM

I think we all (even MAC users) have to thank Xerox for the GUI idea, since it was "swiped" from them... lol

Date: December 20, 2005 09:52PM

Apple/Machitosh Swiped it from XEROX then Microsoft from Apple/Machitosh by copying the Mach OS becuase the president of Apple gave Microsoft some computers to work with. The president of Apple thought IBM was the enemy. LOL

Date: December 22, 2005 01:19AM

George, were you just so mad that you skipped over mark307's comment?
He said he wants to help you. You're not helping him help you, so it seems as if you don't want to be help and only want to continue to argue over these pointless things that have almost nothing to do with what you came here for in the first place.
I don't like the tone of this thread. I'd like it if you'd let mark307 help you out... if you want to be helped, that is.

Brian

Date: December 22, 2005 06:38PM

My Trackball is a PS/2 / USB Logitech Trackman Wheel. Which does not matter much when considered that Netscape 4.8 worked every Mouse/Trackball that I ever owned which contained scroll wheel or button. Making a scroll wheell plugin should be easy becuase kmeleon already has a mouse gestures plugin which is more complicated than recognizing mouse gestures. Adding this scrooll wheel feature would be seem to be child's play compared to creating the mouse gestures plugin. So Kmeleon already has a mouse plugin called the Mouse Gestures Plugin which scroll wheel/button support could be added. Asking to Borrow my logitech trackball mouse is silly because anyone could buy one for under $30. You would not have use such a complicated computer language when you consider that Netscape 4.8 was written in Microsoft C/C++, becuase it requires Runtime Libraries, MSVCRT.DLL and MSVCIRT.DLL, which is older than visual c/c++ and visual studio so should be easy to do becuase Microsoft C/C++ programmers were able to do it. Microsoft C/C++ is ancient compared to Microsoft Studio.

Posted by: kko
Date: December 22, 2005 07:28PM

ROFL. That is the most entertaining thread since Carson left us! Carry on...

Date: December 23, 2005 09:21AM

The funny side of my last post isn't that the mouse is inexpensive, is that I said `May I borrow the mouse?' over the sea. And I won't buy the mouse, because I don't like a trackball.
Thanks.

Posted by: kko
Date: December 23, 2005 10:13AM

Yes, mark307. Some people don't recognize irony...

Date: December 23, 2005 10:09PM

Maybe did not recognize it as irony because it wasn't very ironic. Not that I can't recognize. And some people who say that something ironic eventhough they do not understand what irony is the first place. To me it did not sound ironic it sounded silly and stupid instead.

Date: December 24, 2005 09:47AM

That isn't irony, is just joke. I don't like the tone of this thread too. Then I tried to change.

I think too that adding this scrooll wheel feature is child's play. So I have almost done by plugin. But it's still incomplete. Because I don't know which message is sended to kmeleon. If you want the plugin, you have to tell me about it. If you do not, I will forget the plugin.

Don't flame. Be constructive with fun. please.
Thanks.

Date: December 24, 2005 06:21PM

I like to see your scroll wheel plugin. Do have a download location where I could download the plugin in the work maybe even some source code which people could download, test, and complete your scroll wheel plugin.

You could use the source code of the mouse gestures plugin as base to figure how to get kmeleon to recognize and use the scroll wheel. The source code could help you complete your plugin.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: December 24, 2005 07:38PM

@mark307
Unfortunately you can't. K-meleon doesn't provide a way to scroll the window and doesn't handle it (except for panning). Simulating mouse click on the scrollbar seems hazardous too.

@George
You should really not speak about stuffs you absolutely don't know. You're only ridiculing yourself.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 24, 2005 08:16PM

best Xms greetings to You all

p. s. if mouse support seem in_sufficiant ppl can try to use dedicated mouse
extension by k-m ex dev at http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/

& even if it would be easy - there are browser specific thingst we may need more:

e. g.

a k-m exe that can run on different Mozilla GRE like Sylera
( fine but older Japanese browser similar to k-m 0.8 )

or a k-m exe that can be switched to use MSIE redering engine like Netscape 8
or maybe better opera engine ; - ) ?

Date: December 24, 2005 10:38PM

Doesn't the K-Meleon already have the ability to use the Trident (MSIE) rendering engine by using the IEview chrome? Or did you mean more integrated than that?
I would have to say that the ability to use the Opera rendering engine would be great, but it sounds almost impossible considering that it is neither integrated into the OS or open source. Of course, I could be wrong.

Brian

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.