Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Possible bug, 09RC1 - form-filling
Posted by: harveyvan
Date: January 11, 2005 08:25AM

I've noticed when signing into my bank account that at one stage, it take two mouse-clicks to move the focus from the address bar to the password boxes.

It happens like this (I'm using 09RC1, Win98SE):

1. I open the front "log-in" page, from a short-cut on the bookmarks toolbar. The cursor is focussed in the user-name box.

2. Type user name; click on "log on".

3. New layer opens with secondary sign-in page -- two boxes, for an ID and random password. The cursor does not jump to the first box -- this is designed behaviour (a security thing, I understand).

That's where the oddness starts: the URL of this secondary sign-in page is highlighted in the address bar, and this focus does *not* come away when the cursor is first clicked in the ID box: it takes a second click to remove the URL highlighting and to get focus into the ID box.

(I discovered this when I found that if I clicked in the ID box once and started typing; the ID was replacing the highlighted URL in the address bar.)

I wonder if this is related to the "arrows not available in text boxes" problem discussed elsewhere (where focus has to be removed to the task bar and back to the box to activate arrow functions)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Possible bug, 09RC1 - form-filling
Date: January 11, 2005 09:01AM

I've been able to stop the behaviour by changing the prefs.js file (altering kemelon.display.NewWindowHasUrlFocus to "false"), but that, of course, wipes out the new-window URL focus entirely; what I would have expected is that the URL focus should move to the text box with a single click, rather than a double one.

(FWIW, I couldn't alter that preference line via "about:config" -- it changed back at next re-launch. The change held if the prefs.js file was edited while the browser was closed, though.)

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 11, 2005 01:03PM

Can you test this with RC2 and let us know if you are still seeing it?

Date: January 11, 2005 02:05PM

I hadn't downloaded RC2 yet, as I'm not really a "developer", just punter noticing odd behaviour, but now that I've done so -- yes, it's still the same. (I tested it by going to the banking site without moving my old profile over to the new install, so it's doing it out of the box.) It does the same whether I launch the secondary sign-on page in a layer or a window -- it still takes two clicks in the text box to get focus off the address bar URL of the second page.

I can give you a way of reaching these pages: go to
http://www.ukpersonal.hsbc.co.uk/public/ukpersonal/internet_banking/en/logon.jhtml
and input the following "IB1234567891" -- this is an invalid customer ID number which merely replicates the banks "IB+10digits" format for customer IDs; it's not even remotely similar to my ID. If you then click "Log On", you should reach the problem page, which shows two personal security boxes.

You obviously won't be able to proceed any further, but if you're seeing the same behaviour I see, the URL for this second page -- https://www.ebank.hsbc.co.uk/logonindex.jsp -- should be highlighted. If I click in the first user-ID box, it doesn't "un-highlight"; it takes a second click for the URL to lose focus.

Harvey

Date: January 11, 2005 02:23PM

Thanks. As long as you're willing to do testing, I'm more than glad to have you download and test the RCs. I'll post your results to our devs list.

Date: January 11, 2005 02:26PM

Thanks; I'll keep downloading and testing them, then!

Posted by: ra
Date: January 11, 2005 04:25PM

I can give you a way of reaching these pages: go to
http://www.ukpersonal.hsbc.co.uk/public/ukpersonal/internet_banking/en/logon.jhtml
and input the following "IB1234567891"

the URL for this second page -- https://www.ebank.hsbc.co.uk/logonindex.jsp -- should be highlighted. If I click in the first user-ID box, it doesn't "un-highlight"; it takes a second click for the URL to lose focus.

Mmh, after entering "IB1234567891" and hitting Log On I get a pop-up window without URL bar (it's loading https://www.ebank.hsbc.co.uk/logonindex.jsp) and therefore I don't/can't notice your problem? That's RC2 with a quite default setup (layers are disabled and some prefs are changed that shouldn't have to do with this problem, e.g. different gestures).

BTW: I assume you're loading about:blank on new windows ("Blank page"), otherwise you wouldn't get an URL bar focus at all. Now how does K-M behave if you change that to a different page (e.g. "Home Page" and a homepage different than about:blank)?

Date: January 11, 2005 05:41PM

You were right that I was loading new windows as "about:blank" -- indeed, before the secondary window displays the URL, it shows "about:blank". I can't, though, get this to change for the problem site.

I've tried specifying my home page, "current page" and a different URL for new windows, and that works if I choose File>New Layer -- but the second HSBC sign-on window *still* opens with a highlighted "about:blank" before switching to https://www.ebank.hsbc.co.uk/logonindex.jsp -- that is, it's behaving differently from standard new windows.

Some additional info which may (or may not -- I dunno!) be pertinent:

The problem appears to relate *solely* to that secondary log-on window: once one leaves it for "Window 3" -- the bank account "session" screen -- the address bar does not claim focus.

On my business bank account -- with the same bank -- one logs on with a user name and password, reaching an intermediate page which lists the accounts. When one clicks on one of thoseaacounts, a behind-the-scenes validation occurs with a bank-issued digital security certificate that I've imported into K-Meleon. (In other words, the "secondary log-on screen" is handled invisibly.)

On the next screen -- the equivalent of the "Window 3" bank account "session" windodw -- I still see "about:blank" in the address bar while it logs on to the session window, but not highlighted (and so doesn't claim focus.)

HTH to narrow things down.

Date: January 11, 2005 06:09PM

Have you tried this in another browser just to make sure that the page code isn't mucking up the focus?

Date: January 11, 2005 06:26PM

I've tried it in Firefox and IE, and they seem to work.

Viewing it in IE, it behaves as ra's "use Windows" system -- it opens a re-sized window, with no address bar. In Firefox, it opens an intermediate blank tab as well as the second log-on tab, but neither of those take focus.

A further discovery, though: if I set "Tools>Advanced Preferences>ALLOW sites to alter browser settings", the secondary window opens in a separate, re-sized window with no address bar -- like in IE. That's *in spite* of the fact that I'm running on "Layers only", and blocking pop-ups.

If I change back to "BLOCK sites from altering browser settings", the problem reappears -- so it would appear that the problem arises only if I *force* the page to open in an un-resized tab rather than a separate window.

(I can live with all of this if it turns out to be intractable -- there are lots of work-rounds in there!)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.