Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Corrupted menu bar in 0.9beta2
Posted by: Dave
Date: November 17, 2004 01:45PM

Hi, I've just tried K-Meleon 0.9beta2 on a clean Windows 95 OSR2 system with all the system updates etc. Version 0.8.2 worked fine on that system but the 0.9beta2 menu bar has weird graphic characters where the menu labels (File, Edit etc) should be. In addition, clicking on a corrupted menu bar will not invoke a pull-down menu like it should do - there is simply no response. The unofficial Wechselbalg had the same problem on this machine.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corrupted menu bar in 0.9beta2
Posted by: rmn
Date: November 17, 2004 05:51PM

Sounds like a Windows-specific problem.... Is the Rebar Menu plugin enabled? What about if you toggle it?

Date: November 17, 2004 08:35PM

Rebar Menu plugin? Sorry, I don't know what that is or how to toggle it. Could you elaborate on that for me?

Version 0.8.2 installer allows you to configure certain install options (What shortcuts are created, whether Loader is installed etc). One of those is 'Enable bitmap menus' which I think it says allows the program to put icons in the menus. I left this checked in the 0.8.2 installer and 0.8.2 worked and looked fine.

The 0.9beta2 installer didn't have those options. Is that option off by default perhaps? I suspect though I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

Date: November 17, 2004 09:03PM

Update:

I think I know what you're talking about regarding Rebar plugin. I renamed the rebarmenu.dll file I found inside the kplugins folder to rebarmenu.off and launched 0.9beta2 again. This time the menu labels appeared correctly, however as soon as I click on one I get a critical error:

"K-MELEON caused an invalid page fault in
module MSVCRT.DLL at 0157:780117ba."

The version of MSVCRT.DLL in my Windows System folder is 6.10.8924.0 if this is relevant.

Interestingly, right-clicking on an open layer brings down a menu without problems. Right-clicking on another icon in the toolbar such as the Back button gives a corrupted menu before generating the critical error described above.

Is there somewhere I can post screenshots of the problems I am experiencing?

Date: November 17, 2004 09:17PM

Further update:

If I disable the bmpmenu.dll file in addition to the rebarmenu.dll file then everything works OK although obviously I don't get the icons in the menus.
0.8.2 worked perfectly with the icons in the menus so I'm guessing there's some issue with the way the new menus are done.

Completely unrelated: When I go to the Google site, the Google logo has a pale grey background rectangle???

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 18, 2004 11:17AM

Perhaps you should install a certain dll upgrade package for your Windows. Try the ones mentioned in K-Meleon's FAQ or the Release Notes. Otherwise, I have no idea what's wrong.

The Google problem: you might have accidentally selected the image. Can it still be reproduced?

Posted by: MD3
Date: November 22, 2004 12:51AM

I had the same problems in W95 with K-Meleon 0.9 betas 2 and 3.

I tracked it down to the bmpmenu.dll and rebarmenu.dll plug-ins.

I tried using the the bmpmenu.dll and rebarmenu.dll versions that came with K-Meleon 0.8.1 and it worked.

Using K-Meleon 0.9 beta 3 right now, in W95 OSR2.

I did some minor tweaking in menu.cfg to get the menus just the way I wanted them.
Nothing I didn't expect that I might have to do, given I was dealing with a beta.

Date: November 22, 2004 06:48PM

Thanks MD3 that's really useful. Out of interest, what did you do to the menu.cfg?

Do you think there will be any issues using the old versions of bmpmenu.dll and rebarmenu.dll with the new K-Meleon version? I mean, they must have been changed for a reason? Do you think whatever the Win95 incompatibility is it will be resolved before the official 0.9 release?

Date: November 24, 2004 05:59AM

Dave, I'm not really asking a lot from 0.9 . All I wanted is the ability to function just like 0.8.2 with the known Mozilla security holes since then plugged. To that end, I tweaked menu.cfg to make the menu location of some items more like I've been habitually clicking in 0.8.2 . I don't really require any frilly whiz bang menuing system. My needs there are rather spartan.

My only concern about the new plugins not working in 95 is for other platform users as it might possibly be due to a logical flaw not caught in the coding, i.e. a bug, that might, however extremely unlikely, be exploited at some future time.

Your issues questions puzzle me as K-Meleon is an open source project.

I'm happy to report to you that in W95 with the old menu plugins, 0.9 beta 3 is everything 0.8.2 was and more. It is FAST(er). Loads from the disk faster than any browser I've used in 95. Renders fastest too. And there's gobs of new menus and options.

I'm so pleased with it, I've ditched 0.8.2 .

Date: November 24, 2004 07:58PM

Dave,

I recently had a chance to load 0.9 beta 3 on a W98SE. There are even more menu items listed with the new plugins in W98, but nothing that I found absolutely necessary for me to use 0.9 the way I personally desire in W95.

So there has been some enhancement to the menu definition syntax as you speculated.

menu.cfg seems so bloated in 0.9 beta 3 compared to 0.8.2 that I've been tempted to see if I can get by with just the menu.cfg from 0.8.2

I've tinkered with downconverting some of the "missing" menu definitions to the 0.8.2 menu plugins' menu.cfg and it is possible to do.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 24, 2004 09:25PM

There are even more menu items listed with the new plugins in W98

That's interesting. What appears in the menus in 98 that doesn't appear in 95?

Date: December 07, 2004 08:00AM

>That's interesting. What appears in the menus in 98 that doesn't appear in 95?

Just want to be clear, this is 0.9 beta 3 in 95 using 0.8.1 bmpmenu and rebarmenu plugins:

In the main menus, the only things missing are the 3 "Print" options when you click on "File". There's just 3 lines where they should be. If you right click on a blank space on a rendered web page the same lines are where the "Print" options should be for that menu.

However, if you left click on the printer icon, i.e. the "Print" button, you get the menu options listed in all their glory.

Initially, I thought it might have something to do with the exclamation point syntax parsing, e.g. !Print, in menu.cfg but I see several instances where the menu items are displayed properly when that is used for other menu listings. Right now, my only guess is that it has something to do with it being unhappy with the "Print" menu being called having been defined inside a bmpmenu definition. But I'm just guessing. I also see some hints that it might be something about nesting menus.

If you left click on various items on a rendered web page various other different menus and submenus are similarly "lined" out. I haven't had time to figure out what all is missing there. One that stands out, is the "Open link in new layer/window fore/background" menu. I kludged in the menu definition for it from 0.8.1 to restore that.

Date: December 09, 2004 05:53PM

> However, if you left click on the printer icon

Dyslexic moment, that should be "right click", i.e. when using a "standard" right-handed mouse button configuration.

Date: December 11, 2004 01:18AM

"In the main menus, the only things missing are the 3 "Print" options when you click on "File". There's just 3 lines where they should be."

I can confirm that behaviour. I also seem to remember a load of lines off the Zoom submenu but I don't have the computer with K-Meleon installed available to double-check at the moment.

Date: December 19, 2004 07:32PM

Dave there's a real simple fix for our main menu blanks.

In menu.cfg you have to put an octothorpe in front of a few instances of bmpmenu.

change this:

Print{
&Print...\tCtrl+P = ID_FILE_PRINT
Print Pre&view = ID_FILE_PRINTPREVIEW
Page &Setup = ID_FILE_PRINTSETUP
bmpmenu()
}

to:

Print{
&Print...\tCtrl+P = ID_FILE_PRINT
Print Pre&view = ID_FILE_PRINTPREVIEW
Page &Setup = ID_FILE_PRINTSETUP
#bmpmenu()
}

this:

Zoom In{
%ifplugin macros
macros(ZoomInPage, Zoom In Page\tCtrl+Alt++)
Zoom In Text\tCtrl++ = ID_FONT_INCREASE
macros(ZoomInImages, Zoom In Images\tAlt++)
-
macros(ZoomImageLinks, Zoom Linked Images)
%else
%endif
bmpmenu()
}

to:

Zoom In{
%ifplugin macros
macros(ZoomInPage, Zoom In Page\tCtrl+Alt++)
macros(ZoomInImages, Zoom In Images\tAlt++)
-
macros(ZoomImageLinks, Zoom Linked Images)
%else
%endif
#bmpmenu()
}

and this:

Zoom Out{
%ifplugin macros
macros(ZoomOutPage, Zoom Out Page\tCtrl+Alt+ -)
Zoom Out Text\tCtrl+ - = ID_FONT_DECREASE
macros(ZoomOutImages, Zoom Out Images\tAlt+ -)
%else
Zoom Out Text\tCtrl+- = ID_FONT_DECREASE
%endif
bmpmenu()
}

to:

Zoom Out{
%ifplugin macros
macros(ZoomOutPage, Zoom Out Page\tCtrl+Alt+ -)
Zoom Out Text\tCtrl+ - = ID_FONT_DECREASE
macros(ZoomOutImages, Zoom Out Images\tAlt+ -)
%else
Zoom Out Text\tCtrl+- = ID_FONT_DECREASE
%endif
#bmpmenu()
}

Date: December 20, 2004 09:40AM

>Just want to be clear, this is 0.9 beta 3 in 95 using 0.8.1 bmpmenu and
> rebarmenu plugins:

BTW these adaptations are being made to the 0.9 beta menu.cfg file.

OK my testing to date, seems to indicate that there's some nesting beyond which certain syntax just can't be parsed under the 0.8.1 menu plug-ins.

The simplest fix is to convert the ! calls to submenu ones by changing the ! to the colon, :.

For instance,

change:

Selected Text{
macros(URL, Go to URL)
macros(EmailText, Send by Mail)
-
!Web Search
}

to:

Selected Text{
macros(URL, Go to URL)
macros(EmailText, Send by Mail)
-
:Web Search
}

and change:

DocumentPopup {
!Navigation
-
!Save
!Selected
-
!View Page
!Fullscreen
#bmpmenu()
}

to:

DocumentPopup {
!Navigation
-
confused smileyave
!Selected
-
!View Page
!Fullscreen
#bmpmenu()
}

and change:

LinkPopup {
!Link
-
!Selected
bmpmenu()
}

to:

LinkPopup {
:Link
-
!Selected
bmpmenu()
}

and change:

ImageLinkPopup {
!Link
-
!Image
#bmpmenu()
}

to:

ImageLinkPopup {
:Link
-
!Image
#bmpmenu()
}

Date: December 20, 2004 10:07PM

MD3 - Great minds think alike!

I was just checking in here now to offer similar advice to you after some experimentation of my own. I was looking at the menu.cfg file, wondering what caused a load of separators to be displayed instead of the the Print options in the File menu (amongst other things).

My first instinct, like yours, was to put a # in front of the bmpmenu() line of the Print{ section of the file. And it worked!
Then I got carried away. I went through the whole config file, putting # marks in front of bmpmenu() lines. Bad move - too hasty! While it seemed to cure all of the 'separator lines instead of menu items' instances, all the icons which appear next to certain menu entries were no longer being displayed.

Anyway, my improved solution (kludge) was to replace the !Print call in the File menu definition with the actual contents of the Print{ definiton (minus the bmpmenu line). Copy and paste job. This works for all the other instances of separators appearing instead of menu items. I noticed that the '#' method tried earlier meant that while a printer icon was displayed next to the Print line in the File menu, right-clicking on the printer icon in the toolbar (also a Print{ call) didn't show the printer icon next to the Print line.

"OK my testing to date, seems to indicate that there's some nesting beyond which certain syntax just can't be parsed under the 0.8.1 menu plug-ins."

That was the conclusion I came to and seems to be a likely explanation.

"The simplest fix is to convert the ! calls to submenu ones by changing the ! to the colon, :."

I'll try that, thanks. Does that mean the referred items will appear off a submenu then. Not sure that would be ideal for all instances.

Date: December 24, 2004 10:03AM

>I'll try that, thanks. Does that mean the referred items will appear off a submenu
>then. Not sure that would be ideal for all instances.

Dave,

I've been all over wrestling with that. I even thought of completely rewriting menu.cfg when I saw how inconsistent the definition structure was in the 0.9 beta 3 version. But then I remembered this was indeed a beta and that I wanted to be able to comment intelligently on its development, so I opted for the fewest number of changes to get things working

Surprisingly, only one thing in the submenuing even approached being an issue for me (I was used to right-clicking on a link and banging on "Open in New Layer") but I've adapted well and that dissipated..

However, I should point out that there are other sources of menu.cfg files out there for us to investigate:

home.tiscali.nl/hayabusaclubholland/k-meleon/wechselbalg/updates/en/menus.cfg

for instance, (Even though I haven't had the time to do so, yet.) and they are liable to be more polished than anything currently in beta - not to mention the 0.9 beta 4.

Here's where we can look at previous "official" versions (1.99 - 1.01):

cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/kmeleon/k-meleon/default/Attic/menus.cfg?rev=1.99

And here's a resource on hacking the K-Meleon UI:

gratisdei.com/KM-UI.htm

Me? I'm happy. K-Meleon 0.9 beta 3 is now more stable, with more features and zippier than 0.8.2 in W95 for me.

One possibly related piece of info: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\user32.dll is different in W98 from W95 and may be a possible candidate for why the menu plugins don't work in W95.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 06, 2005 03:41AM

Did either of you guys install the updates to Windows recommended in the FAQ? Just wondering if these issues would be resolved by that or if there is something else we need to look at in the code.

Date: January 06, 2005 07:06AM

I even thought of completely rewriting menu.cfg when I saw how inconsistent the definition structure was in the 0.9 beta 3 version.

Some of the unnecessary conditionals have been removed from menus.cfg in RC1 and the toolbar button menu bitmap references have been hashed because of the aforementioned Win9x compatibility problems. The intricacies amount while trying to maintain a proper display when some plugins are disabled while others are enabled particularly with separators. But I'd welcome any rewrites that are more efficient while maintaining the exact UI result.

Date: January 06, 2005 08:33AM

Andrew queried:

>Did either of you guys install the updates to Windows...?

If you are referring to VC6RedistSetup.exe, yep.

Since this is Windows 95 there's not a whole lot that can be acomplished by visiting Windows Update. However it is patched up to date as far as MS went.

And the FAQ says this should not be relevant, but just for the record: IE is totally not installed.

Date: January 06, 2005 09:36PM

"Did either of you guys install the updates to Windows recommended in the FAQ? Just wondering if these issues would be resolved by that or if there is something else we need to look at in the code."

I tried the update referenced in the FAQ but that did not resolve the problem (it turned out my system already had the updated dlls anyway)

My Windows 95B installation was clean, and I had patched it with all the recommended updates from Microsoft. I also had IE 5.5SP2 (latest IE version supported by Win95) installed with all the updated dlls that brings. Didn''t have the Active Desktop installed as that only comes with IE4 / Win98, if that is relevant.

Version 0.8.2 worked flawlessly on my system, so I can only conclude the fault was introduced by the changes made to the bmpmenu.dll and rebarmenu.dll files between version 0.8.2 and the 0.9beta1.

I have installed 0.9RC1 and can confirm this still has the same problem on Windows 95. The workaround of replacing the rebarmenu.dll and bmpmenu.dll files with the 0.8.2 versions still works, but then some tinkering with the menu.cfg is required because it seems to have problems parsing submenus so many levels deep which include icons (you get separator lines where there should be menu items).

Date: January 06, 2005 11:18PM

Thanks guys. I've passed along your comments to our developers. I'm not sure if we can fix this but we'll see.

Date: January 06, 2005 11:23PM

Is anyone willing to put together a KM package available for download that is fully functional for Win95 users? None of the main contributors/developers right now have Win95 systems to test new KMs on. If someone could take on that duty, I'm sure that would be even more useful since from all indications KM far outperforms other Mozilla products on the Win95 platform.

Date: January 06, 2005 11:41PM

Dave,

In an earlier post, you noted that you were using Msvcrt.dll version 6.10.8924.0. This is the version for Windows 2000. I wonder if rolling back to a Windows 9x specific version would make any difference? In browsing through Google, other apps. were reporting problems when users had the wrong version of msvcrt installed. See this from another Forum about getting back to the correct version:

http://www.panoramafactory.com/discus/messages/10/685.html?1083027949

Date: January 07, 2005 01:06AM

OK, I'll try switching my version of msvcrt.dll tomorrow and I'll report back if it helps.
I can only assume that the version I have was installed by Office 2000 (or the new Microsoft Installer) which I put on that machine.

If there is some place I can post screenshots of what happens, I would be more than willing. It's quite easy to describe though:

Instead of seeing "File Edit View" etc, you see "w|.€~|_| w|.€~|_| w|.€~|_|" etc, and clicking one of these garbled menu headers doesn't make the menu drop down - there is no response.

By replacing rebarmenu.dll with the 0.8.2 version "File Edit View" appear correctly, but clicking on one of them invokes a narrow empty menu immediately followed by the invalid page fault.

If you then additionally replace the bmpmenu.dll with the 0.8.2 version then everything works, except the occasional menu entry is replaced by a separator line. This seems to happen when the menu.cfg is subreferencing a menu definition a certain number of layers deep which uses bmpmenu call.

Posted by: Michael
Date: January 07, 2005 04:26PM

Hello,

I experience the same bug on my Win95 PC. A screenshot can be seen at http://test.michaelsattler.de/km09b4.jpg
This is right after installation. When I click on these strange characters, nothing happens.

Another symptom:
When I right click on the current page and slowly go down the context menu, at the moment, I reach the first item with a submenu ('Reload options'), K-Meleon crashes. Error report (in german):

K-MELEON verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ungültige Seite
in Modul MSVCRT.DLL bei 0137:78012879.
Register:
EAX=00000909 CS=0137 EIP=78012879 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=09090909 SS=013f ESP=0066de44 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000010 DS=013f ESI=00000000 FS=352f
EDX=00000c1c ES=013f EDI=0000002b GS=0000
Bytes bei CS:EIP:
8b 0a bf ff fe fe 7e 8b c1 8b f7 33 cb 03 f0 03
Stapelwerte:
00000000 0000002b 00000bd8 00f73b54 00000c1c 00000009 0000002b 0066ec1e 0000002b 00000c1c 0066ebc8 bff727c8 00000030 00000020 00000000 000023e8

I have MSVCRT.DLL here in version 6.10.8558.0

After renaming (=deleting) rebarmenu.dll and bmpmenu.dll, I get two messages:
"A new plugin was found: Rebar Menu Plugin (resp. Bitmapped Menus). Would you like to load this plugin now?".
(IIRC these questions appear, when you run KM the first time after installation, which was not the case here.)
If I choose 'no' twice, the menu displays correctly and seems to work.

But when I now restore DLLs, the bug is there again. And that, although both plugins were deactivated under options/plugins before.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Posted by: Michael
Date: January 07, 2005 04:28PM

I forgot to mention, that this was with KM 0.9 beta 4

Date: January 08, 2005 04:47AM

Michael,

Thanks for the report. It looks like both of you have versions of the DLL that are post Windows 98 SE (Me or Windows 2000). If you can try rolling back to a WIn9X versions, that might give us some more information.

[Part of Windows Libraries Update for Windows 95 and 98]

Windows 98 SE

Date: January 08, 2005 07:01PM

Update: I tried rolling back to version 6.00.8797 but this had no effect - the problem remained.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.