Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: new default theme
Posted by: Faidon
Date: September 01, 2004 08:40AM

Please see these icons (packaged as a theme for firefox):
http://www.foood.net/icandy-junior-firefox.htm

You can find the theme here:
http://www.spuler.us/icandyjr/index.html

It's really beautiful!

BTW, keep up your work, some of us don't like XUL ;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Delta
Date: September 21, 2004 01:37PM

Phoenity would make a perfect default theme for the next release, I agree. It's clean, simple, universally compatible with OSes, and just plain beautiful. I've used it in Firefox since their 0.5 release (personally, I don't use the K-Meleon version, because I prefer variety in my browsers). Perhaps the developers should be contacted with this idea, so they can then contact CheeAun and get his approval.
The only other idea I would have for a default theme is possibly Silverbird if CheeAun denies his approval. A Qute variant would serve well also...

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 21, 2004 07:54PM

Just wanted to repeat what I said before, more concisely. Three themes would be ideal. I would call them Default, Classic and Modern. The default would be the regular IE clone we've grown so accustomed to. Classic would be Early Blue, the original Mozilla theme and Modern would be the greenheader's very own theme, details and design of which can be hashed out here.

Why 3 you ask? Well, Mozilla only provides 2 themes (Classic and Modern) and I think K-Meleon is more than 2 times better than Mozilla, so....

<VBG>

N

Date: September 21, 2004 11:44PM

Three themes? Dare I say ... bloat?

Date: September 22, 2004 04:21PM

Delta,

I guess you could say bloat if it were possible to load up all 3 themes at the same time! Otherwise, I would call it choice!

<g>

N

Posted by: Delbor
Date: September 23, 2004 01:03PM

A purist's humble wish:
keep the old theme, please!

Delbor

Posted by: ra
Date: September 23, 2004 04:02PM

Yeah, but finally add a new one, like Phoenity, too.

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 23, 2004 10:03PM

No worries there. We will be including Phoenity with the new official release as I just gained Chee Aun's permission to use it.

At least it'll be a change from the tired old IE5 look.

Date: September 25, 2004 06:22PM

Will Phoenity be the default/first theme seen and used in Screenshots, or just another theme included in the download?

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 25, 2004 07:14PM

what they wrote in devs list? >> it sounded more like new default : o ))

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: September 25, 2004 07:29PM

Unfortunately this is a theme which is not very nice on every background....
Just check it yourself and see what I mean ;-))

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 25, 2004 10:09PM

Unfortunately this is a theme which is not very nice on every background....

I've tried it on all the backgrounds available in the Win2k appearance options and it was designed for XP. It's one of the cleanest skins we have available. Do you mean the colors don't match all backgrounds? Well, no themes match all, including IE. But compared to the other themes available, the icons are pretty clean on all backgrounds. That's more important. It's weakness is when viewed in 256 mode.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 25, 2004 11:11PM

@jsnj - Jan has a real good monitor - so i presume he is right.
else it is a question of taste perhaps?
for small icons i like boxed classic better. but the reasons for Phoenity are good 2.
we will not find anything that is ideal. will we?

Date: September 26, 2004 01:23AM

No, there'll never be a default everyone likes. But of the modern, XP compatible, transparent themes in wiki, which ones have cleaner icons that work on all backgrounds? I didn't see any. I might have missed it, but I don't think so.

Date: October 18, 2004 06:57PM

"it was designed for XP"

Actually, Chee Aun uses a Windows 98 SE computer... winking smiley
One of the themes strong points is that it is able to blend well on many WIndows OSes...

Date: October 18, 2004 08:14PM

Will Phoenity be the default/first theme seen and used in Screenshots, or just another theme included in the download?

I strongly vote for it being the new standard theme*.

People that don't like it can still switch to the old default, but new users should see a nice-looking, modern browser when it comes out of the box, not a dated, old interface cloning IE from nearly 10 years ago.

* (The last beta had still the old one. :-( )

Date: October 18, 2004 09:55PM

It will be that way depending on feedback. If most agree with you(as I do) then it'll be default.

Posted by: Martin
Date: October 19, 2004 01:09PM

I like the standard theme from K-Meleon and would like to see it in the next version of K-Meleon. As there are today two sides of users, one side likes it a little bit simpler and the other likes themes with more colors (xp style), so I think two standard themes would be the right way.
There is a mozilla/netscape theme called Orbit Retro and Orbit 3+1. This is one of the themes in xp style, that I like.

Date: October 19, 2004 06:37PM

It will be that way depending on feedback. If most agree with you(as I do) then it'll be default.

So I hope a few more people liking a modern-looking browser will raise their voices. :-)

Posted by: rmn
Date: October 19, 2004 07:00PM

Well, I'm always using my own ugly skin so I dont really care winking smiley , but I guess it should be anything other than MS-based skins (since we don't really have a permission from MS to use their images). Phoenity has long been considered a good skin by many people (not just KM users), so I guess it'll do fine. So, my vote: PHOENITY. smiling smiley

Posted by: LeVito
Date: October 19, 2004 08:12PM

So I do! Phoenity is a modern looking, self explaining and clean theme that fits well with WinXP. Not only the design but also the philosophy behind fits very well (just visit www.phoenity.com).

But to be consequent I would suggest changing the program icon to the one included in the theme since it has alpha blending.

K-Meleon is an innovative browser, so it needs a modern look!

Date: October 22, 2004 06:48PM

My Vote is definitely for Phoenity, and yes, a New Icon should be made to fit in with the theme...

Date: October 22, 2004 09:35PM

About Phoenity as the default theme. It's not bad, but I find the original IE clone more legible. For example, Zoom In, Zoom out. Who can tell the difference? Or why does a five-pointed star represent Edit Bookmarks? And the Home Page is so ill-defined as to be practically unrecognizable. Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Stop and Reload are ok, as are Print, Mail and to a lesser degree Search buttons. But nothing special that pops out at you like say Nautipolis or even my own bias, Early Blue.

N

Posted by: Al.
Date: October 22, 2004 10:23PM

About Phoenity as the default theme. It's not bad, but I find the original IE clone more legible. For example, Zoom In, Zoom out. Who can tell the difference? Or why does a five-pointed star represent Edit Bookmarks? And the Home Page is so ill-defined as to be practically unrecognizable. Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Stop and Reload are ok, as are Print, Mail and to a lesser degree Search buttons. But nothing special that pops out at you like say Nautipolis or even my own bias, Early Blue.

I think only Chee Aun could answer those questions effectively. As for Phoenity, well it's original, OS independant (doesn't mimic another OS or browser's look), has both small and large size toolbars for those with sight problems, plus it's colourful and easy on the eyes and also contains enough icons for various functions. Without adjustment, not many of the other themes meet the criteria unfortunately, plus with a couple as they are ports then permission would need to be sought from the original authors to include (distribute) them with K-Meleon. Nautipolis springs to mind in that instance. You'd have to ask Alfred Kayser for his go ahead.

Date: October 23, 2004 06:30AM

Al,

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of having an independent, original theme for K-Meleon, it's just that I don't see Phoenity as being any better and in some ways less legible than the original IE clone. Just my opinion, mind you.

I'm perfectly happy having Phoenity and the IE Clone distributed with KM 9, but I would hope that those who have worked on themes in the past will take the opportunity of the release of the new KM to rework their very nice themes to work properly or rather completely with all the new capabilities of KM 9.

As for Phoenity, perhaps it could be made more legible with different colors on some of the icons or perhaps incorporate the ugly, but very effective large and small A for changing font sizes. The home button is graphically pleasing, but indistinct and that makes a difference, particularly in the small icon version. Just my 2 cents.

N

Date: October 23, 2004 07:37AM

For example, Zoom In, Zoom out. Who can tell the difference?

You may have a point with the zoom buttons in the small icon version. Might be a little hard to tell them apart if you don't have 20/20 vision.

Or why does a five-pointed star represent Edit Bookmarks?

It represents both Edit(left-click) & the list(right-click). It's just like the Favorites star in IE 6.0 XP. So I can't imagine users having a problem identifying that.

And the Home Page is so ill-defined as to be practically unrecognizable.

Huh? That button seems very self-explanatory to me. It's shaped just like all the other common Home buttons in themes and has the front door too. I'm suprised at that comment. Oh well, to each his own :-)

Date: October 23, 2004 04:23PM

jsjn,

I've seen better home butons, but you're right this one is similar to others out there.

N

Date: October 23, 2004 04:28PM

jsnj,

Perhaps a colors change on the Font icons would do the trick.I don't have XP, so if it represents the Favorites star from IE6, then it definitely will be recognizable. As for the Home Button, you're right that there are others that resemble it out there. Don't much care for them either.
<g>

N

Date: October 26, 2004 05:58AM

Are these zoom buttons better?

http://home.comcast.net/~jsnj/zoom.png

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: October 26, 2004 12:08PM