General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Mozi-Meleon 1.3b...
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: February 27, 2003 08:49AM

The other day I built the latest K-M binary and loader from CVS on top of Mozilla 1.3b, so now it is possible to upgrade your backend to 1.3b if anyone is interested.

I have packaged the loader and main executable along with the latest embed.jar and included a step-by-step guide to installing / upgrading (see INSTALL.txt).

Changes in my build from the SP1 release:
---------------------------------------------------------------
* No "URL:" label on the URL bar (Cf. Bug 306--fixed).
* Implemented uniform SaveAs / SaveLinkAs method (as per asmpgmr's suggestion, Cf Bug 297--fixed).
* Added command ID, ID_NAV_FORCE_RELOAD, which proforms a non-cached refresh like Mozilla's CTRL-SHIFT-R (as per asmpgmr's suggestion, Cf. Bug 381--fixed). -- You still have to add the accel yourself if you want to use this don't forget!
* Implemented asmpgmr's workaround for broken images (Cf. Bug 347--workaround).

Get the package:
--------------------------
http://monkeesage.d2g.com/KM1.3b.zip

Have fun! smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mozi-Meleon 1.3b...
Date: February 27, 2003 08:55AM

The .zip is aprox. 1 meg.

Date: February 27, 2003 05:21PM

Updated binary in the package:
---------------------------------------------
* Added command ID, ID_FILE_SAVE_FRAME_AS (as per asmpgmr's suggestion, Cf. Bug 387--fixed). -- Add "Save Frame As... = ID_SAVE_FRAME_AS" under FrameDocumentPopup{} and FrameImagePopup{} in menus.cfg to use.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 27, 2003 05:23PM

Oops! Correction in bold:

* Added command ID, ID_FILE_SAVE_FRAME_AS (as per asmpgmr's suggestion, Cf. Bug 387--fixed). -- Add "Save Frame As... = ID_FILE_SAVE_FRAME_AS" under FrameDocumentPopup{} and FrameImagePopup{} in menus.cfg to use.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: February 27, 2003 06:13PM

In lines 5-7 of your install instructions it says Copy the files listed in apx. Where the hell is apx? :-)

Posted by: al leveck
Date: February 27, 2003 06:32PM

Thanks....I folllowed the instructions and it works fine....and I am almost a computer-illetarate :>

Date: February 27, 2003 06:34PM

lol! Its a secret processor easter egg that shows hidden space on your drive ;P

Actually, I meant appendix, I should have just wrote it out, sorry!

Just pretend I'm a mentally challanged child and then everything I say will make sense. winking smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Nick
Date: February 27, 2003 06:40PM

Monkeesage,

Did you see my report here:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=3559&t=3559

The 1.3a chrome/*.jar files foobar something. I ended up not replacing them.

Nick

Date: February 27, 2003 06:50PM

Nick:

I had not seen that, I'm investigating right now (I too got the same error, I think its in the pippki.jar, as you said, not the embed.jar, if it is it should be easy to fix and I'll update this .zip package with the fixed jars. I'll post if and when I can fix it (which may be just to use the original pippki.jar as you did).

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 27, 2003 06:52PM

Nick:

Replacing the pippki.jar with the original works, so it is in there, not the newer embed.jar. smiling smiley

It should just be a matter then of changing the line you highlighted back to the one in the original.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 27, 2003 06:56PM

Hmmm...they are exactly the same that that line...oh well, I'm just replacing the one in the .zip package with the original. smiling smiley

Thanks for pointing that out!

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Nick
Date: February 27, 2003 07:40PM

Yes, the line is exactly the same winking smiley

That had me beat... but replacing with the original doesn't seem to affect anything re the 1.3 'upgrade'.

Nick

Date: February 27, 2003 08:53PM

Latest build:
------------------
* Updated uniform SaveAs / SaveLinkAs method (as per asmpgmr's suggestion, Cf Bug 297--fixed).
* Updated command ID, ID_FILE_SAVE_FRAME_AS (as per asmpgmr's suggestion, Cf. Bug 387--fixed). -- Add "Save Frame As... = ID_FILE_SAVE_FRAME_AS" under FrameDocumentPopup{} and FrameImagePopup{} in menus.cfg to use.

Now both of them correctly preserve the option to save the complete webpages as well as single pages!

Ps. Just in case anyone is not clear, I'm not a K-M dev., I'm just an end user, and any problems with my builds are your own responsibility, and they are only supported in so far as I'm awake and look at the forums and can actually fix the problem (which is doubtful). Beware. Danger Will Robinson.End disclaimer type note. ;P

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 27, 2003 09:08PM

Ps. there is no need to do the whole Mozilla update part once you have done it once, you can just grab the newer binary of k-meleon.exe out of the .zip package and replace the one in the K-Meleon install directory with it.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: tawfiq
Date: February 27, 2003 10:12PM

thanks man!

Date: February 27, 2003 11:36PM

Maybe I did something wrong during the installation 'cause although I thought all was well...I'd be browsing normally and then after a few minutes KM would stop responding, and I couldn't detect anything I'd do consistently to reproduce it...it just would stop responding for some reason, so I had to go back to 1.2a

Posted by: ra
Date: February 28, 2003 02:50AM

Good work, MonkeeSage, very much appreciated. :-)

I know you are not an dev, but it would be very nice if you could
have a look at the code and check if it might be possible to have
[Ctrl.] or [Shift] & *Click* do anything (like opening a link in the
background...)? I'm still looking forward to the day when my fav.
browser finally allows me to use this (basic) function. ;(

Two comments to your build:

- Saving *local* pages with "web page, complete" doesn't work. An
empty directory "something_files" gets created and that's it. KM
crashed soon afterwards while opening the next link (*first* and
only time so far, but I can repro the crash like described at any
time). Other than that, saving pages works fine (and I really like
that the filename and not the title of the page is used).

- The new XUL error page looks nice, but the reload-button doesn't
work. sad smiley And I suppose I should see the URL in this empty line /
box?

And last question: Why is it important to copy only the files you
listed? Can't I just take the whole dir.s (and replace the stuff
with the files in your package)? BTW: "nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt"
is missing here.

Thx for your help!

Posted by: ra
Date: February 28, 2003 06:59PM

Another thing/bug: There seems to be a problem with saving cookies. Every time I open KM I see the same threads as unread (with *no* new messages) in the KM forums, although I marked them as read the last time.

Date: February 28, 2003 07:37PM

ra:

About the ctrl+click...I'm not good enough to add that functionality I don't think, but I can have a look...just don't expect anything, because I'm not even good at C programming, and when it comes to C++ I'm pretty much totally in the dark.

About saving local pages complete, try downloading the latest k-meleon.exe binary out of the zip package again (I just re-uped it), because I just tried it on a local file and it did as expected (made a dir with the same name of the file being saved, and filled it with the bg picture and .css files used in the main file), and I haven't experienced any crashes yet. I slightly changed the way one of the sections was bracketed in the save code, so mabye that is the difference that makes it work.

About the XUL error page, the problems are related to the pippki.jar issue that Nick mentioned, I believe; because once I switched back to the original pippki.jar, it worked as it used to (with the reload icon being active and the error URL prefilled in the entry box). The working pippki.jar / pipnss.jar are now in the .zip package, in the chrome dir. Just overwrite the ones in your K-Meleon/chrome with those and delete the chrome.rdf file, then restart K-M. After that it should work as before.

About the cookies, I noticed that also. I'm checking it out right now. I'm not sure if its a bug in my binary, Moz. 1.3b, or some combination of the two. I'll post more on the issue if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the help!

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: February 28, 2003 09:13PM

MonkeeSage,

I just checked the braces and don't see any problems, if there was then I would expect lots of problems to occur.

As for the forum cookies, at least in 1.2 they are saved but the forum seems to ignore them when K-Meleon is reloaded. They only seem to work for the current session.

Date: February 28, 2003 09:58PM

asmpgmr:

Yeah, you're correct on the braces, I didn't change anything. I had been messing with using the progressbar on saving individual html pages too, so I had to add some extra logic. I ended up reverting it to your original code and not using progressbar for single html pages, but I thought I left the different brackets; but on looking, I didn't, I have exactly the same code as you originally listed.

On cookies, it comes down to cookies.dll and nsprefm.dll from what I can tell. I'm messing around with trying to fix it now while 1.2.1 is compiling.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 28, 2003 10:05PM

** This post is only for testing cookies to see if it remembers my name on the forum...

Date: February 28, 2003 10:20PM

OK, cookies problem is fixed for now, by using the cookie.dll from 1.3a.

I have added this to the .zip package, under a sudirectory called \components, just overwrite the existing cookie.dll in K-Meleon\Components and delete the two .dat files, then restart K-M. (I also updated the instructions file to refeclt this change).

Updated Package:
---------------------------
http://monkeesage.d2g.com/KM1.3b.zip

asmpgmr:

I just found out that K-M doesn't write out the forum cookies that are stored in its cookie cache (I had no idea it even had a cookie cache lol!) to the cookies.txt file untill app_exit is called--backup your cookies.txt and try it, it is only when you exit the entire app that cookies.txt are written. I'm going to put in a RFE to have cookies written on a one-by-one basis as they are received, to preserve them in the case of browser crashes and such. That may also have some effect on the problem you were noticing, but I'm not sure.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 28, 2003 10:35PM

Even better the cookie.dll from a nightly build of 1.3b works fine, too. So now that is the one included in the .zip package.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 28, 2003 11:31PM

OHHHH....I just thought of something...

ra...

are you talking about saving a local html file that you have loaded locally, or are you talking about saving the actual page you are looking at when you type "C:" into the URL bar??

If you mean the latter of the two, I imagine it wouldn't work right, because it is a generated HTML page by mozilla, so it probably has all types of wrong asutff associated with it, and it probably kills some necko component that causes the crash next time it is called when you browse to a non-local URL.

If you meant the first, that you were trying to save an html file that you had loaded locally, then it should have no problem (I have tried it 3 times now and it has done as expected each time, and no crashes have occured).

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: February 28, 2003 11:46PM

MonkeeSage,

I knew about the caching of cookies. Several other things aren't written out until the browser is closed as well. To my knowledge this is the way all Netscape/Mozilla browsers work. Anyway that would be a Mozilla issue not a K-Meleon issue.

Date: March 01, 2003 01:32AM

asmpgmr:

I see. I guess I won't be filing and RFE in that case, heh. smiling smiley

Thanks for the info.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: March 01, 2003 02:56AM

Mozi-Meleon 1.2.1

All the same changes as listed above for 1.3b, except compiled against 1.2.1.

Follow the instructions for how and in what order to install.

Get the package:
-------------------------
http://monkeesage.d2g.com/KM1.2.1.zip

Note to asmpgmr:
-------------------------

bookmarks.dll
layers.dll

Did not build. Same build errors as encountered in 1.3b. Must be a problem on the K-M side of things.

macros.dll

Built, but no more prompts appear (what the heck??). I examined both places in the source, first where the dialog is created and second where it is called, and I saw absolutely nothing wrong with it. (In fact, earlier when I tried switching the dialog that is bound to CTRL-G by default, I used the prompt dialog code from that same source file, and it worked exactly right).

I included the rest of the plugins that built correctly / had no noticavle problems in the .zip package.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: March 01, 2003 07:35AM

Thx Monkee...that Yahoo slideshow site works now since the 1.2.1 upgrade. So far no problems like I was having with the 1.3b. I couldn't use your macros.dll though. For some reason it affected my OnStartup fullscreen multiple home pages macro. Other than that, all's well.

Date: March 01, 2003 07:59AM

jsnj:

Sweet! grinning smiley

Its great that a site you have been wishing would work now does! That's like the best thing! I'm glad it did, though I didn't do anything special--any fixes are in the Mozilla and K-M code, I just compiled it...so that's one more reason to love the real K-M devs like your brothers, lol!

smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.