General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon. Questions about how to setup it, macro coding, all related to its usage and the project itself, including this website. 
unofficial kmeleon
Posted by: chris
Date: October 06, 2004 12:40AM

hey guys i been here a while and i seen the link to the recent unofficial version of kmeleon but i cant seem to find it anymore , does anyone have the link to it ? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: unofficial kmeleon
Posted by: Al.
Date: October 06, 2004 12:51AM

Well there's a couple floating around which can make things confusing to say the least. Sebastian has only just released his own unofficial release, and it does look interesting. Wechselbalg build with a few new enhancements:
http://www.labanet.de/downloads.php?page=1

Sebastian's Wechselbalg
Posted by: Carson
Date: October 06, 2004 06:53AM

I posted a comment on the query entitled "Is This Only on My End?" regarding this build (which see).

I installed it tonight, Oct 5-04, and it is really, really, really NICE! I'm just new at K-Meleon, but this build appears to me to be MUCH smoother than either 0.8.2 or 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg. What an excellent job! Congratulations, Sebastion, and thanks from Canada!

Sebastian's Wechselbalg - 2
Date: October 06, 2004 02:10PM

I'm continuing with this build this morning. It is a very good build indeed. However, I see nothing in >Help >About that acknowledges it is "Sebastian's" Wechselbalg. I'm not sure where it indicates that it is not the original Wechselbalg.

Sebastian is perhaps too modest. This version of Wechselbalg works MUCH better for me, as I don't have much K-M experience yet. I think this build should be marked as "Sebastian's Wechselbalg" or Wechselbalg (Sebastian).

It is important to distinguish it, because for some of us, it will be this version that gives us the ability to properly run K-Meleon. smiling smiley

And thanks again to Sebastian!

Posted by: Nicholas
Date: October 06, 2004 02:21PM

I tried this link:
http://www.labanet.de/downloads.php?page=1

After I download the exe. and running it, it does some unzipping and creates a k-m directory.

I could not get it to run.

Back to 0.8.2

Sebastian's K-M
Date: October 06, 2004 02:41PM

Nicholas, did you go into that new directory it made, select the EXE file there, and copy it (make a shortcut) to your desktop?

-- Then, did it not run from there? Or did it run but grab the old profile?

Date: October 07, 2004 06:21AM

I went to the new Directory and ran the EXE. I dunno about the profile stuff, but it gave me a message about cannot load/find menus.cfg I even tried to copy the whole new direcotory to [C:\Program Files] and ran from there. Same error about menus.cfg.

There was also no setup file like with km 0.8.2.

Date: October 07, 2004 06:48AM

Yep! It's getting stuff from my profile.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 07, 2004 10:11AM

Sebastiaans out of the box install; (by the way: i like it too)

Your error sounds like a k-m that has been copied to an other location after install
or is in an environment without having writing rights.

1.) make sure k-m was permitted to create an "....k-m/Profiles/" folder!
plus can write in it!

else:
(if Yes - the current profiles folder contains files pointing to a wrong path)
2.) delete ...k-meleon/Profiles/....to force k-m to create a new Profiles folder
that contain files that know where he is.

regards

p. s. fault 1 is a win nt and xp thing - fault two is a brocken install; my advice assumes that the exe that You downloaded did not get damaged during download.

(once certain files in Profiles point the wrong way he //=k-m// can not help or repair himself because he does not know where he is - where the files to repair are - as soon as he knows - he can repair) >> making new profile is generaly the easiest way to repair him no matter what is wrong.

Posted by: realgeorge
Date: October 08, 2004 04:25PM

I haven`t used K-M for several months, and just tried the unofficial "Sebastian's Wechselbalg" version. I am finding it to be much slower in page downloads than my customized Firefox on my Win98 - 300MHz - PII Compaq on dialup. For example, when I measure the times for downloading the start page at six of my usual sites, the "Sebastian's Wechselbalg" takes a total time of 21.59 seconds and Firefox takes 15.87 seconds as measured at Numion Stopwatch http://www.numion.com/Stopwatch/index.html?. Without pipelining times and With Pipelining (Slow Computer/Slow Connection Additions) were about the same. I have always liked K-M and have tried it periodically for years. If I remember correctly, the "Sebastian's Wechselbalg" seems slower than the 0.8.2 version on my machine. Does anyone have ane suggestions that I can try for speed improvement?

Posted by: ra
Date: October 08, 2004 04:33PM

FYI: Page loading times do *significantly decrease* if you already have a good part of the site in your browser's cache.

Posted by: realgeorge
Date: October 08, 2004 04:37PM

Thanks ra. I did "cache" all pages first before loading and measuring the times.

Date: October 08, 2004 04:39PM

You are right it downloads e. g. pictures slower (about 5km/s or so limit) !
- no way to alter except to recompile with other params - see in this thread

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=3241&t=3241

customized FF? (in which way)
about:buildconfig will let You have a look into some things
(AFAIK Dorians build has very similar options as the fastest FF build) &regards

Date: October 08, 2004 07:42PM

Oops, it's still using that exe? realgeorge get k-meleon.exe from inside the rar file from http://boisso.free.fr/kmeleon.html and overwrite the one from Wechselbalg with that one. Could still be faster but then ... I didn't notice differences worth mentioning compared to the beta of .9 that's around (others speak of 20-30 percent), just try it yourself.

Date: October 08, 2004 08:05PM

They were speaking of slow download times, which is typical of certain builds.
& Yes You are right, since Dorian published params for a new build - he is likely to
have rebuilt it when/if he has had time - there is probably a new one where You say.

Date: October 09, 2004 09:26AM

ra
the 512 kb limit is only in some of Dorians builds
the fastest builds can be recogized if You look into components folder (very few files there three or so means fastest ones).

the one at that page is an older one but can be used as You say (fast? // limit? ).

And we can not notice speed differnces of about 20% because most people usually only get aware of differnces that are bigger than 25% : o )
the speed differnce between 0.9 and 0.8.2+ can be only messured not noticed.
You would have to go to test pages to find small speed diffrences like that.

Date: October 09, 2004 01:30PM

since Dorian published params for a new build - he is likely to
have rebuilt it when/if he has had time - there is probably a new one where You say.

No, that one's from 2004-07-27. :-)

the 512 kb limit is only in some of Dorians builds
the fastest builds can be recogized if You look into components folder (very few files there three or so means fastest ones).

Well, sadly all Wechselbalgs do seem to have this bug, just like I described it in the other thread.

And we can not notice speed differnces of about 20% because most people usually only get aware of differnces that are bigger than 25% : o )
the speed differnce between 0.9 and 0.8.2+ can be only messured not noticed.
You would have to go to test pages to find small speed diffrences like that.

What has been your testcase?

Date: October 09, 2004 05:10PM

http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/benchjs/benchjs.html

switch out either: toolbar or layer plugin (the page openes popups too fast - no k-m or wechselbalg that i know can have both plugins activated on that page) and permitt popup during test.

also a nice test at:
http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/test-rendering-time.php

the differences vary as per hardware, OS version...
I feel that everyone has to find the one (k-m version or other browser)
best suited to the own hardware, OS version & browsing style ...

or use more than one browser - as for the different things to he want done?

i do not download often but spend much time on animation pages - for that
i consider 0.8.2+ the optimum browser (the few pages that are no good with a k-m can be best viewed with old Netscape 4.x //or MSIE 5.5 which i do not use if i can avoid it)

Dorian seems to know what option must be changed in his bildconfig
but seems to have no time ( we all spent to much time when 0.8.2+ was made)
if the old build is still where and as You say.

Maybe someone that knows how and has some time will make a
"Wechselbalg" from the 0.9 sources - which would be nice!
Some people wanted to try but i have heard of no new W-B so far.
best weekend tto You all

Date: October 11, 2004 07:21AM

0.8.2 still gives me the best results as far as speed is concerned. The test pages: hmmm. Gives diffrerent results. Everytime. Compared with FF 1.0RC. Then FF is faster. Then km. Then FF. Then km. It is all a waste of time these test pages.

0.8.2 users of the world; UNITE!

Date: October 11, 2004 11:44AM

than 0.8.2 fits best to you! FF i ony comparable withnew hardware.
regards

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.