General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon 0.8 Beta Build 833
Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 24, 2003 02:03AM

The latest K-meleon 0.8 beta is available for testing. This build is built on the Mozilla 1.5 release code with the patch for GDI leaks included (it wasn't included in the final release of Mozilla 1.5).

This is version 0.8 Build 833. You can check the version number by selecting Help - About K-Meleon. The version number is listed at the bottom of the window.

The following are known issues with this beta build:

* Possible crashes in Windows 95
* Autoscroll problem causing crashes
* View Certificates causes browser to lock up
* Accept or View cookies causes problems with browser

Please download and test this build and report all bugs to the developers
list.

kmeleon-dev@lists.sourceforge.net

If you post reports to the K-Meleon Forums, please include the build number with your report.

You can download the beta here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/files/kmeleon08rc.zip

Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon 0.8 Beta Build 833
Date: October 24, 2003 12:25PM

I should note that the current beta is in ZIP format. Simply extract the files to your preferred location and run the k-meleon executable to get started!

Posted by: boogomatic
Date: October 24, 2003 04:45PM

The following are known issues with this beta build:

* Possible crashes in Windows 95

Those rumours have ended in build 833

Beautiful
-boogomatic-

Posted by: Nick
Date: October 24, 2003 05:16PM

Very, very good smiling smiley

Thank you all who worked on this!

Nick

Date: October 24, 2003 06:06PM

So it's working in Windows 95 without crashes?

Posted by: boogomatic
Date: October 24, 2003 06:17PM

So it's working in Windows 95 without crashes?

Yes

-boogomatic-
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031016 K-Meleon/0.8

Posted by: maxqnz
Date: October 24, 2003 09:07PM

>Please download and test this build and report all bugs to the developers
list.
kmeleon-dev@lists.sourceforge.net

But what if one's posts are not aaccepted by that mailing list? I have now tried several times, and every time, I get a reply saying that my post is awaiting moderation, because it came from a non-member, and will either be posted to the list, or a moderator will inform me otherwise. Neith event has happened, my posts just vanish. This is despite the fact that I successfully completed the sign-up process.

Date: October 24, 2003 09:48PM

maxqnz,

Report the bugs here. I'm not sure why your posts to the list are getting stuck.

Andrew

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: October 25, 2003 03:30AM

I am not shure if this is a Bug but I just installed K-Meleon Build 833 and when I type a URL in the URLBar ,instead of displaying the appropriate Web Page it takes me to Google search. I definately don't like that,can I change it to display the Web page instead?.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 25, 2003 05:09AM

That only happens if it can't find the site. Double-check that you typed the address correctly. If you'd rather it display an error message instead, go into prefs and change the following:

user_pref("keyword.enabled", true);

to

user_pref("keyword.enabled", false);

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: October 25, 2003 10:47AM

Not clear what to do as I have installed 0.7.1 and it's in the system registry for remove only also.

Can I unzip and overwrite the existing files?

If not how to install and preserve preference and other config info?

Bernard

Posted by: Nick
Date: October 25, 2003 11:58AM

Just rename your existing /k-meleon/ folder to something like /k-meleon_old/.

Then unzip the new 8rc zip into /program files/ - all reg entries will be preserved.

You can then start to set-up prefs etc. as you see fit.

I personally just copied a lot of stuff from the old km to the new unziped one, and tweaked to suit - somuchso that it carried on from where the old one left off...

One tip is to just copy all files in plugins folder to the new one... they will work straight away like this. Do _not_ overwrite the new npnul32.dll, though.

Nick

Date: October 25, 2003 12:48PM

no,that's not the problem,when I use Mozilla,Firebird,Opera or Netscape,all I have to do is type in the name in the address Bar eg. "netscape" and the www and .com is automatically entered,with IE I simply type "netscape" and press enter while holding down the Ctrl key,however, with the new K-Meleon I must type the whole address including the www and .com. I am pretty shure that the older version of KM which I tried about a year ago,I only had to type the name and hit Enter as with Mozilla etc.

I am also disappointed that after all this time you still can't build a Browser that will play plugins such as Real Player,Winamp etc. as all of the above mentioned browsers do, without the user having to edit preference files etc.which I find unacceptable and for that reason I will stick with Mozilla/Firebird which handles all of these things right out of the Box.

Posted by: BVV
Date: October 25, 2003 01:29PM

I must have done something wrong somewhere. The installed plugins don't work anymore (although the Help menu\installed plugins shows them all) and clicking a "streaming audio link" doesn't start Winamp. Instead KM wants to save the link.

Posted by: encoderX
Date: October 25, 2003 02:57PM

Hi
Works great on my machine smiling smiley - AMD Athlon XP 2700+ 2.16Ghz 480 RAM WinXP Home Edition v2002 SP1

Changed the toolbar background, throbber and the r.click menu to suit. No problems smiling smiley Works a dream smiling smiley

This browser gets better and better, so cool smiling smiley

The only thing I see missing is in r.click menu on a link there's no Open in New Window - just layer! I can fix that for myself but for others (maybe)...

Cheers.

encoderX

Date: October 25, 2003 03:21PM

Hi
I think it's better where you can have layers plugin (toolbar layers) enabled but on r.click links (image,text,frames...etc) you take out %else for the r.click links - It gives more user options.

Cheers.

encoderX

Date: October 25, 2003 03:57PM

BVV, you have not done anything wrong,they simply don't work,you have to fix it yourself,that is exactly what I was pointing out in my post above.Someone on this forum will probably tell you how to go about it and maybe it will work.I wish you luck.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 25, 2003 04:31PM

all I have to do is type in the name in the address Bar eg. "netscape" and the www and .com is automatically entered,with IE I simply type "netscape" and press enter while holding down the Ctrl key,however, with the new K-Meleon I must type the whole address including the www and .com.

If you change keyword enabled to "false" like I posted before, it'll do what you want.

Posted by: skallas
Date: October 26, 2003 07:39AM

Perhaps the link to the beta version should be on the front page? Loving it so far.

Posted by: R
Date: October 26, 2003 09:44AM

Working great here on Win2K SP4. It has come a long way and I'm going to be using it as my default browser indefinitely.

I suggest making the following a default setting as well as including it into the preferences dialog:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.catch", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.catchClose", false);

I'd also like to see these accel.cfg settings in the preferences dialog:
"MButton = layers(OpenLink)" to "MButton = layers(OpenLinkBg)"
"MButton = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_NEW_WINDOW" to "MButton = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_BACKGROUND"

Thanks, It's great to finally see gecko put to good use =)

Posted by: DU
Date: October 26, 2003 01:05PM

>The following are known issues with this beta build:

>* Possible crashes in Windows 95
>* Autoscroll problem causing crashes
>* View Certificates causes browser to lock up
>* Accept or View cookies causes problems with browser

I tested autoscroll and I had no problem. XP Pro SP1 with all the patches

Other points I noticed:
- If you right-click in a page, there will be the menu item "View Page Info" in the menu but choosing it just opens a blank page
- Right-clicking on a layer button is sometimes difficult: the drop down menu does not stick
- Rigth-clicking on an empty spot in the Layers toolbar does nothing. I would have expected to at least offer a small context-menu like in Mozilla
- No way to have a Site Navigation bar; this would have been a very much appreciated addition.

DU

Date: October 26, 2003 04:06PM

R wrote:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.catchClose", false);

I think something about this is mentioned here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3352816&forum_id=2617

Cheers.

encoderX