Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
revolving homepage
Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 01, 2012 04:58AM

Anybody know of how to make a macro that allows you to rotate homepages?

Tks

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: revolving homepage
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 01, 2012 12:28PM

Do you want the rotation to be automatic or on-demand?

Edit: also check out Speed Dial on this page. http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 01:19PM by JamesD.

Date: January 01, 2012 08:14PM

JamesD
Do you want the rotation to be automatic or on-demand?

Edit: also check out Speed Dial on this page. http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm

JamesD,

Choices....choices, the world is full of... <VBG>

I did try out speed dial, but not quite what I had in mind. Automatic sounds great, just like handles in the old days for {Commo}, my offline email reader at the time.

N

Date: January 01, 2012 09:21PM

ndebord
Automatic sounds great
OK, if automatic, what should trigger a change to the next homepage in the list?

Edit: Browser startup may be the only reasonable choice here. I am thinking about what is possible. You have a startup homepage and a default home page. In preferences browsing general, you have a choice to use the startup or a blank page. I will play around with this and let you know what I think I can do.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 02:05AM by JamesD.

Date: January 02, 2012 02:18AM

JamesD
ndebord
Automatic sounds great
OK, if automatic, what should trigger a change to the next homepage in the list?

Edit: Browser startup may be the only reasonable choice here. I am thinking about what is possible. You have a startup homepage and a default home page. In preferences browsing general, you have a choice to use the startup or a blank page. I will play around with this and let you know what I think I can do.

JamesD,

I have no preferences about a trigger. I would think whatever is possible would be great. <shrug>

N

Date: January 02, 2012 02:44AM

This is what I have so far.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/RotateHP.7z

Try it and tell me if I am on the right track. No trigger yet and you must put URLs into the list before you can do "Rotate Now".

Edit: Forgot to say the menu is in the right click of the home page icon.

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 02:49AM by JamesD.

Date: January 02, 2012 04:20AM

JamesD
This is what I have so far.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/RotateHP.7z

Try it and tell me if I am on the right track. No trigger yet and you must put URLs into the list before you can do "Rotate Now".

Edit: Forgot to say the menu is in the right click of the home page icon.

JamesD,

Ahh... got it... had to load it up manually, KEIH didn't work, but the right click thing works nicely. This is a variation on Quick Store I believe??? as the number system seems similar. I put up reuters, el.com, yahoo and google news and Fred's oh so nice startpage (resource:///startpage.html) for starters. Nice.

Now the other way to go that you suggested would be to make this a random or sequential load that automatically changed each time you boot K-Meleon?

Very nice!

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 04:29AM by ndebord.

Date: January 02, 2012 01:04PM

ndebord
Now the other way to go that you suggested would be to make this a random or sequential load that automatically changed each time you boot K-Meleon?

There is not a random number generator in the macro language. I can do the sequential change using the OnStartUp event. I will work on that later today.

JamesD

Date: January 02, 2012 07:27PM

JamesD
ndebord

There is not a random number generator in the macro language. I can do the sequential change using the OnStartUp event. I will work on that later today.

JamesD,

OK, am not very familiar with the details of the macro language. Last time I was fluent with it was before KKO's major rewrite. As I've said, many times, I am no coder. <sigh> Whenever or whatever, I am happy. This works well. <g>

Tks.

N

Date: January 03, 2012 01:00AM

Have made progress, but still have a bug or two find and fix. Automatic sequential advance is working.

JamesD

Date: January 03, 2012 04:51AM

JamesD
Have made progress, but still have a bug or two find and fix. Automatic sequential advance is working.

JamesD,

Sweeet. <VBG>

N

Date: January 03, 2012 07:18PM

I think that I have finally gotten all the bugs out. Newest version can be found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/RotateHP.7z

@ ndebord
Now you get to field test it.

JamesD

Date: January 04, 2012 02:35PM

JamesD
I think that I have finally gotten all the bugs out. Newest version can be found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/RotateHP.7z

@ ndebord
Now you get to field test it.

JamesD,

You're the man!

Works perfectly. Have 3 home pages setup... I boot with blank, but each and every time I restart K-Meleon and click on the home page button, it goes to one of the 3 on a revolving basis.

el.com
news.yahoo.com
resource:///startpage.html **

Nice!

P.S. After just a little use, I particularly like the check mark that allows you to turn on or off automatic sequential change and stick with whatever site is/was currently chosen.

** Fred's homepage file

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 06:30PM by ndebord.

Date: February 03, 2012 05:58PM

JamesD,

I've been using your rotate home page KMM for some time now and I just have to say, this is truly excellent. Sometimes I let it rotate automatically, sometimes I use the rotate now option and pick a site that I'll stick with for a few days. Don't know how I got along without it before.

Nice!

N

Date: February 04, 2012 08:29AM

Happy to have been of service.

JamesD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.