Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
KEM not working...
Posted by: MXB
Date: May 14, 2011 06:00PM

I right clicked to install the "Style" extension and the windows flashed by seeming to show it being installed but when I looked in the Tools menu there was no Style entry to select. I tried it again and same result. On further investigation there are no new files for the extension in the K-M directory!

I know people will want to post "Well it works for me." Yes, I realize it works for most people or the problem would have been big news. :-)

--
P2 400 MHz, 128 MB, Win 98 SE

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KEM not working...
Posted by: disrrupted
Date: May 14, 2011 10:18PM

what window was flashing? the download dialogue isn't the installer. extensions do not have a special extension to invoke a service, if the browser did not restart with a clear prompt that 'extension x has been installed' then you didn't install it with the extensions manager. you have to specifically choose 'km extension' from the context menu.

see guide there
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/kem.htm

Posted by: siria
Date: May 16, 2011 10:19PM

From a quite interesting user review for K-Meleon, just stumbled about it today:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/internet-web-apps-and-networking/3373-k-meleon-web-browser.html

Anupam in Feb 2010
When I had gone through the settings, I had turned off the Macros, as I thought I would not be needing them. When I installed KEM, or K-Meleon Extensions Manager, I was not able to get it to work. It took me sometime to figure it out, that I have to turn the Macros on, to make it work. There was nothing that would have helped me figure it out. So, for extensions to work, you have to leave Macros on.

Just a thought... Definitely not a possible reason I'd ever have guessed myself! ;-)

And I don't really suspect this at the reason in this case, so just on a general note: Perhaps the plugins JSbridge and macro extension should get something like "IMPORTANT" in the description of the checkbox... Don't know how, just somehow some warning or hint that new users get aware they probably need this, even though they have no clue what it means.
I once had that jsbridge/XUL thing off myself, riddling what that might be, and then wondered quite a long time why the cookie exceptions buttons had vanished from the pref sheets. Yeah, today I'm aware that XUL is needed tongue sticking out smiley But unlike the other kplugins those two (macros and XUL) are probably the most unclear to newbies.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 10:42PM by siria.

Date: May 17, 2011 09:13PM

Thanks, checked and macros are on. Also retried and got the message extension installed successfully before the browser restarted itself. But still nothing new in the tools menu or on my hard disk.

Odd, no?

Will try a different extension, perhaps Style is defective not KEM.

--

Date: May 17, 2011 09:43PM

Well, I got it working by downloading and installing from the download. Right click and selecting from the menu is what doesn't work for me. Just as well, I prefer to have a copy of anything I install anywho. :-)

More good news is that the pre 1.6 version of NoScript (from the french site, c'est tres bon) was just an exe installer. No .7z req'd. :-) It did have one minor error while installing I noticed. The UnNoscript.exe was not created. The Batch file to run it was though. Way cool. I love batch files. I still use DOS all the time. :-) Anywho, the Noscript runs. It's different from how the FF version works, a little less user friendly. No helpful icon to tell you if the current site is in your whitelist or not :-(. But I can feel better about browsing, don't like to browse "naked". Heh.

--

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 18, 2011 02:00PM

sounds like a firewall or similar software is preventing kem from downloading. check your firewall settings and make sure the kem downloader executable(keith.exe) is allowed... you might also need to whitelist keith on antivirus/protection suites if any. depending on your os, you might also need to grant uac additional rights for keith.exe

Date: May 19, 2011 11:23PM

Ahhh yes that sounds like you may be on the track of it. Sort of. I have no AV software and my firewall is all in the router. Unless it is trying to allow a inbound connection to a blocked port. Hmmm, I do know keith.exe is running as I happened to see the Win98 app log file for it and the 7z dll as well. So it's a blocked download I guess. Well I think I can leave it as is since I don't want to open any extra holes in the firewall.

--

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 20, 2011 09:13AM

it just uses port 80 to download so it can't be it, i just tested on 9x to make sure.. the only problem i had was when i forgot to rename kmeleonw9x.exe to kmeleon but i don't think that's the problem and since you can use the local installer then it's not a problem with extracting the files

what's the full path where kmeleon is installed and what's the path for your temp folder normally c:\\windows\temp, do you have a different temp foldwer set in the registry?

Date: May 21, 2011 08:35PM

disrupted
it just uses port 80 to download so it can't be it, i just tested on 9x to make sure.. the only problem i had was when i forgot to rename kmeleonw9x.exe to kmeleon but i don't think that's the problem and since you can use the local installer then it's not a problem with extracting the files

what's the full path where kmeleon is installed and what's the path for your temp folder normally c:\\windows\temp, do you have a different temp foldwer set in the registry?

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP in DOS environment (didn't know there was a setting in registry hmmm interesting)
Did a regsearch for temp and found nothing unusual.

My Win98 config is pretty standard I figure. It's my DOS config that's wild. :-)

--

Posted by: dugbugoffice2
Date: July 05, 2011 08:22PM

You should be using http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex
And in programs, set the K-meleon.exe getting into the properties of the file,
to run as WIN XP with kernelex, on your WIN 98.
All runs good! I run K-meleon 1.6 & 1.7, Firefox 5 is a bug, won't run now.
But all is good!

Ps. I have a KMFILES kit.
http://home.dbdbdugbug.operaunite.com/Projects/content/KMFILES

Posted by: siria
Date: July 05, 2011 08:57PM

One thing I keep wondering, is why in most macros the tools path is spelled "Tools", yet the folder is actually "tools". Perhaps that's why on some systems/configurations sometimes a macro won't work?
I do remember that such spelling differences kept one of my own macros from working, until I figured it out. On the other hand, one of those "Tools" macros recently did find the path and worked. That really confuses me most - how can it work with another spelling??? Yet it did...

Date: July 11, 2011 12:07AM

siria
One thing I keep wondering, is why in most macros the tools path is spelled "Tools", yet the folder is actually "tools". Perhaps that's why on some systems/configurations sometimes a macro won't work?
I do remember that such spelling differences kept one of my own macros from working, until I figured it out. On the other hand, one of those "Tools" macros recently did find the path and worked. That really confuses me most - how can it work with another spelling??? Yet it did...

Perhaps it is using the short filename?

--

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.