Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Extensions in K-Meleon 74
Posted by: Larkspur
Date: November 07, 2014 06:33AM

Couldn't figure out how to delete my post, so I'll just ask a couple of general questions instead.

1) I've read here in the forum that Ad-Block Plus does not work with K-Meleon 74 and that the developers do not feel obligated to update extensions that are created by third parties, but being on a dial-up connection makes something like Ad-Block a real necessity if I'm to avoid the extra time it takes to load those fancy advertisement graphics.

Any chance of a work-around?

2) Same question for CookieCuller. I feel I really need some sort of cookie manager for whatever version of K-Meleon I am using. And for some strange reason I cannot get Cookie Monster to work for me. It just keeps telling me it cannot read my Firefox cookies. Again, is there any work-around that will give me some sort of control over cookies in K-Meleon 74 (apart from laboriously deleting the ones I don't want manually)?

Truthfully, I'm disappointed that 74 does not have more support for extensions. For the time being I will just have to stick with 1.6.

Larkspur

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 08:11AM by Larkspur.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where are cookies stored?
Posted by: siria
Date: November 07, 2014 08:12AM

If you have separate folder names for the different installations, there should nothing be overwritten. But personally my main machine is still on win98, and I always prefered portable installs, with the profile folders inside.
My other notebook is on Vista and always offline, but my test installations of KM74 have no probs there either, all my various KM versions can still be used independent. Am not quite sure though what those awful "fully automatic" new windows systems might be messing, my Vista has driven me crazy with "protecting" my computer from myself and not letting me do the simplest things, so finally gave up on it. And who knows what that system restore thing does.... (but hey, am just a user not a dev, so that doesn't mean much)

Anyway, KM1.6 definitely stores its cookies in cookies.sqlite
And all the contents of one profile folder can simply be copied over into another.

What most likely happened is that you now use a different profile folder and aren't aware??
Click Edit > Configuration > Profile directory and the currently active one should open.
If you don't find your old profile in its parent folder, try to locate the old profileS folder with the file explorer inside your old KM16/Profiles folder...

You could also have a look at Edit > Manage Profiles and check "Ask at startup", that allows to switch between different profiles at each start. But only from the same parent folder.

Date: November 07, 2014 08:17AM

Ah okay, so you found it meanwhile. Great.

Actually they say that KM74 can now run many more native FF extensions, what KM1.6 couldn't do at all, and especially AdblockPlus shall run fine. Just the installation is rather complicated yet in the current KM version, will probably get better in future versions.
There are already several ABP-installation descriptions shattered across the forum somewhere... Do a forum search for "Adblock" and read the youngest?

You may alternative try "BluHell" Firewall, that's supposed to run very well too and be much lighter as ABP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 08:18AM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 07, 2014 10:22AM

I gave up to attach after 20 min. Hope You can get attachment by Your mail.

Larkspur
Couldn't figure out how to delete my post, so I'll just ask a couple of general questions instead.

1) I've read here in the forum that Ad-Block Plus does not work with K-Meleon 74 and that the developers do not feel obligated to update extensions that are created by third parties, but being on a dial-up connection makes something like Ad-Block a real necessity if I'm to avoid the extra time it takes to load those fancy advertisement graphics.

Any chance of a work-around?

2) Same question for CookieCuller. I feel I really need some sort of cookie manager for whatever version of K-Meleon I am using. And for some strange reason I cannot get Cookie Monster to work for me. It just keeps telling me it cannot read my Firefox cookies. Again, is there any work-around that will give me some sort of control over cookies in K-Meleon 74 (apart from laboriously deleting the ones I don't want manually)?

Truthfully, I'm disappointed that 74 does not have more support for extensions. For the time being I will just have to stick with 1.6.

Larkspur

1.) You just ask/post in the thread that the original post must be deleted.
If You find You delte request is not done after a day or two You repeat the request by mail. Some mods (for example I) do only read all really new posts from new posters. I was coopted to censor SPAM.

2.) AddBlock Plus. The newest FF extensions fully works. Additinally use the kmm for older addblock+ from the K-Meleon extension page. If You want the additional functionality that it offers. Or the kmm naruman posted in his 74+1s. See bottom.

3.) The addon CookieCuller is not supported by its author anymore. You can repair the one from 1.6 oder add it to browser chrome in the omni.ja there. I added to attachment.

The addon CookieKeeper which is the successor project works for me.

I did not bother to create a macro but use a bookmark to acces it main functions.

chrome://cookiekeeper/content/cookiekeeper.xul

Also in attached archive. No I cannot get it done. I will try here later again and
sent it by mail now. I had to post it in the wiki. When this here did not work after many hours.sad smiley

CookieCuller with button and Cookiekeeper. You can adapt the macro. Just excahne the URL it calls to lead to chrome://cookiekeeper/content/cookiekeeper.xul

p.s. adblockplus.kmm

Begin code:

$adblockplus_enabled="extensions.adblockplus.enabled";
$adblockplus_Firstrun="extensions.adblockplus.firstrun";
$adblockplus_Toolbars="extensions.adblockplus.Toolbars";
adblockplus_BuildToolbar{
$abfirstrun=getpref(BOOL,$adblockplus_Toolbars);
if($abfirstrun){
$abptip=_("Toggle Adblockplus|Right-click for Options");
pluginmsg(toolbars,"AddToolbar","Adblock Plus,16,16","");
pluginmsg(toolbars,"AddButton","Adblock Plus,adblockplus,macros(abDisable),Adblock Plus,".$abptip.",16,16,adblockplus.bmp[1],adblockplus.bmp[0]","");
}
} 

adblockplus_sync{
$abfirstrun=getpref(BOOL,$adblockplus_Toolbars);
if($abfirstrun){
$__c="CheckButton"; $__m=",macros(pref_Toggle";
$__toolbar="Adblock Plus";
pluginmsg(toolbars,$__c,$__toolbar.$__m."Popups),".(getpref(BOOL,$adblockplus_enabled)?1:0));
}
}

adblockplus_firstrun{
$abfirstrun=getpref(BOOL,$adblockplus_Firstrun);
	if($abfirstrun){
	setpref(BOOL,$adblockplus_Firstrun, false);
opentab("chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/firstRun.html");

}
}

$OnLoad=$OnLoad."adblockplus_sync;";
$OnStartup=$OnStartup."adblockplus_firstrun;";
$OnSetup=$OnSetup."adblockplus_BuildToolbar;";
# ---------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."adblockplus;";

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 07:38PM by guenter.

Re: Getting Adblock Plus to work in K-Meleon 74
Posted by: Larkspur
Date: November 07, 2014 08:53PM

Hi Guenter,

Many thanks for your e-mail with attachment, which I did receive. I read yesterday whatever threads I found on the subject of Adblock Plus, but I fear they tread into waters that are very unfamiliar to me; namely how to work with macros. It's all Chinese to me.

I will study these threads and once I come up with an intelligent question or two, I will return to this post.

Meantime, I'm curious to learn how to use a Firefox extension like BluHell Firewall and CookieKeeper in K-Meleon? I'm assuming adapting these Firefox add-ons requires some sort of macro as well? I am on an older version of Firefox since my present computer cannot handle the RAM needed for current versions, so the question is a bit moot for the time being, but I plan on getting a new computer in the New Year, so then maybe I can run newer versions of Firefox and IE.

As I say, I will return to this thread with more questions about getting Adblock Plus to work in K-Meleon 74 once I've figured out what I need to ask.

Thank you,

Larkspur

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 09:11PM by Larkspur.

Date: November 07, 2014 10:05PM

Larkspur
Plus, but I fear they tread into waters that are very unfamiliar to me; namely how to work with macros. It's all Chinese to me.

I will study these threads and once I come up with an intelligent question or two, I will return to this post.

Meantime, I'm curious to learn how to use a Firefox extension like BluHell Firewall and CookieKeeper in K-Meleon? I'm assuming adapting these Firefox add-ons requires some sort of macro as well? I am on an older version of Firefox since my present computer cannot handle the RAM needed for current versions, so the question is a bit moot for the time being, but I plan on getting a new computer in the New Year, so then maybe I can run newer versions of Firefox and IE.

1.) I only change macros that exist and add a new location in menus that starts it. Or a new macro name and a new add-on URL dor the macro URL to start it. Anything above is as the English say double Dutch to me.

2.) BluHell only works partly. I only know a little. And my question about how to toggle or influence has not been ansered yet.

ADDblock plus works so does about:addons -> prefs.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: November 07, 2014 11:23PM

The Adblock Plus macro in K-Meleon 74.7+1 does not work correctly with K-Meleon 74.0 because its unable to display the Adblock p;us button icon.

which makes it impossibe to access options and preferences unless you use abour:addons and access it directly from the Adblock plus Addon.

Date: November 07, 2014 11:31PM

Does that mean it works fully in 74+1, only not in 74.0?

Date: November 08, 2014 12:02AM

Larkspur
I read yesterday whatever threads I found on the subject of Adblock Plus, but I fear they tread into waters that are very unfamiliar to me; namely how to work with macros. It's all Chinese to me.

Macros are quite simple, so even I can write them grinning smiley
Before KM74 came around which can now use some xpi-addons (FF), macros were basically the KM-addons.
I think the most confusing thing to beginners is that the word "macro" is actually used for three different things: for single commands written in macrolanguage, or for a kmm-file in the macros folder (containing a set of those macro commands), and for more complicated extensions containing several files (incl. a kmm macro file)
One could split hairs over designations, but that's the everyday use.

But in 90% of cases a "macro" simply means a kmm-file, and almost 100% when talking about FF-addons.
You see the code that guenter posted above?
That is meant with "macro" in this case. You simply copy&paste that text into a new document in a text editor (like notepad++) and save the file into the macros-folder. The only trick is that the ending must be .kmm and not .txt (save with option "all files"). That's all.

If you're told to download a macro somewhere, it's often compressed to 7z-format. That must be unzipped of course.
If talking about FF-addons the expression "just use the macro" mostly means "just extract the kmm-file, because it creates the menu, the rest of the zip-file is replaced with the stuff in the zipped xpi-addons"
Mostly, not necessarily always ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2014 12:08AM by siria.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: November 08, 2014 05:35AM

George Hall
The Adblock Plus macro in K-Meleon 74.7+1 does not work correctly with K-Meleon 74.0 because its unable to display the Adblock p;us button icon.

which makes it impossibe to access options and preferences unless you use abour:addons and access it directly from the Adblock plus Addon.

One of the reasons why the adblockplus.kmm from K-Meleon 74.7+1 doers not work fro K-Meleon 74.0 is becuase the Adblock Plus Extesnion for K-Meleon 74.7+1 is becsuase their is a macro called load,kmm inside the Adblock Plus Extension for K-Meleon 74.7+1.

Date: November 08, 2014 07:27AM

George Hall

If that is so copy the folder ./skins/default from 74.0+1 over. Else no button.
Prefs are accessible from URL about:config anyway.

Addblock plus XUL addon from 74.0+1 comes as xpi archive and can be installed.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,128038

https://app.box.com/s/so071iz25ozi66j62tjb

p.s. depends on ./skins/default/adblockplus.bmp

The older for 74+1 only needed some editing in the chrome.manifest in root...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2014 07:37AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.