Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
History Import Export Extension
Posted by: George Hall
Date: October 23, 2014 02:04PM

With Firefox you can use FEBE Extension to Import and Export History Entiries.

That is not possible to use that Extension for K-Meleon 74

So far the only way to import or export history items is to copy places.sqlite from other Browser Profiles such as Firefox, Seamonkey, and older K-Meleon Profiles.

However, that method may lose some History items you want to keep.

Also the ability to backup History (AKA Export) items can keep a copy of History entires just in case they are accidently deleted,

Password Exporter can export and import saved passwords. So creating History Export and Import should be possible because they are both stored in sqlite files.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: History Import Export Extension
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 25, 2014 08:42AM

George Hall

Password Exporter can export and import saved passwords. So creating History Export and Import should be possible because they are both stored in sqlite files.

Yes. But it does not export or import a squlite base but goes via password managing routines.

You want an automatic history export import editor/sorter not a way to backup.

The later exists with the Bookmarks Backup extension. Which also backups sqlite data.

If FEBE can do what You want. Which You seem to say. Why don't You use FEBE on a K-Meleon profile while the profile is hosted in a Firefox Profiles folder?

Maybe put it into the subfolder of the used FF profile and add that this folder must be worked on. Then update the files in an unused K-Meleon profile.

BTW. FEBE currently supports FF 29 - 32. Says its install.rdf. So why do You expect it to work with K-Meleon 74, currently a GRE 24 based application?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2014 09:15AM by guenter.

Re: History Import Export Extension
Posted by: George Hall
Date: October 25, 2014 01:12PM

I said FEBE probably would not work with K-Meleon 74.

Also I never used the word automatic when I said backup/export histories entries.

If I did would have never mentioned Password Exporter Extension.

I thought it would be nice if be could able to manually export history entries like the Password Exporter does for passwords.

Firefox Add-ons in K-Meleon, Past to Version 74
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 26, 2014 07:43PM

George Hall
I said FEBE probably would not work with K-Meleon 74.

Also I never used the word automatic when I said backup/export histories entries.

If I did would have never mentioned Password Exporter Extension.

I thought it would be nice if be could able to manually export history entries like the Password Exporter does for passwords.

1.)You did not really say that. You said that it is not possible to use it for 74.
So I assumed You had already tried Yourself. And now You wanted someone to make it usable.

Automatic like Password exporter does not mean scheduled... like FEBE.
Password Exporter automatically sorts PWDs and weeds out duplicates.
You used Password Exporter as paradigm - that includes automatic.

Anyway. I had already checked it out. FEBE install.rdf had min. GRE 29 and max. 32 and is only for Firefox. That can mean a problem because of version. And add-ons for only FF are shaky candidates often. I tried anyway. No go for 74.24. No go for 74.31 yet. 31 cannot yet use add-on. Builds GUI for 74.0+1 but throws errors.

2.) But You can always drop the files You want to export over into a FF profile and do the works in there.

You do not sincronize sqlite files often so IMHO FEBE is no must have.

3.) I also think it is nice to have some add-ons for this and that. So I invite You to a journey to some how 2.

A user nicked George Hall and a user nicked guenter came here 11 years ago.
I assume You are he - and have been away long. So I give U a short update.
I have no devs training skills like JS or C+ or anything and do some user support. I have been trying to use FF addons for long. I was inspired to try by MonkeeSage (Jordan Callicoat). The first time I showcased a success was with 0.82+. Many here tried this also. So alain, disrupted, kko, Sebastian Deutscher... (to mention some of the earliest and most successful) made more usable and created some tools that made things a little easier.

Now for 74, Dorian gave us the mechanism that make things a lot easier and brings tools into reach of almost all users that are willing to undertake the adventure of trying to hack an add-on that they find would be nice to have.

And I find even if You do not succeed it is worth trying Yourself.

Currently we must still do many things manually. So lets set up a tool-chain. We need a Firefox, 7z to unpack/pack, an editor that can do UTF8, a few add-ons and a recent K-Meleon with an Error Console2 that works. And we use a macro to make K-Meleon XPI ready: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/file.php?9,file=822,filename=xpinstallext.kmm

FirefoxESR24 should be installed anyway to test whether a bug is K-Meleon or GRE specific. Now not all add-ons are made for this version so we suppress the compatibility checking:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/

and also look ino URL about:config for keyword "compatibility" and set all add-on checking that is still true to false. Else You need to add K-Meleon as target application into every install.rdf

<em:targetApplication>
		<Description>
		<!--K-Meleon-->
		<em:id>kmeleon@</em:id>
		<em:minVersion>74.0</em:minVersion>
		<em:maxVersion>74.0</em:maxVersion>
		</Description>
		</em:targetApplication>

Also nice additional add-on to have is

http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/#toolkit aka local install. We want these two in K-Meleon 74s' also.

We use the Release 74 and do all additional things in 74.0+1 by naruman. It has better chrome support and a working console2.

After we have our first add-ons installed and inspected with Firefox we want to export the ones that we think are nice. For this we use:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-exporter/?src=api

And we export them into ./K-Meleon//browser/extensions Maybe into a spare install?

In the ./used-profile/extensions/ they are deleted when the name is wrong.
But even at ./browser/extensions they need the right name to work.

After export we may need to rename the add-on. Because this add-on-exporter sometimes changes the name of the export. The correct name is in install.rdf under ID. Use 7z to look inside if it is an archive/xpi.

Example <em:id>{4BBDD651-70CF-4821-84F8-2B918CF89CA3}</em:id>
the XPI would be named {4BBDD651-70CF-4821-84F8-2B918CF89CA3}.xpi
The unpacked archive would be named {4BBDD651-70CF-4821-84F8-2B918CF89CA3}.

Now we are ready to start our new add-on. We look into URL about:addons (bookmark this URL, we may need it again, I used hotlinks plugin for this).

If we are lucky the add-on works and needs no configuring.

If we are more lucky the add-on not only works but also has a preferences panel that gives us acces to its internal functions.

Example: chrome://rvjmimeedit/content/pref/pref.xul

Maybe also bookmark the URL for easier access. We can make an kmm later or leave it.

If prefs do not give acces we look for another URL in chrome folder

Example chrome://cookiekeeper/content/ for an altrenative.

After some tries we find:

chrome://cookiekeeper/content/cookiekeeper.xul

is the URL that we want and bookmark it for further use.

(where is content? usually add-on folder chrome/content/ or inside an archive jar/.../content... & look it up in the chrome.manifest of the add-on if You have a problem to find it)

Add-On Not Working More often than working. Why?

All are Firefox add-ons after all. Firefox' GUI is XUL based K-Meleon's is not.
All add-ons that manipulate the GUI will not work. This includes functions in an add-on that otherwise will work. No button in a bar/GUI, nor the connection from add-on to browser if it is relying on an element that belongs to the GUI.

NO go. You will probably not even get a message from the console2.

Most add-ons have functionality implemented in JavaScript. One single errors stops the code. So when an add-on does not work
You need to look into the Error Console.

But You cannot do much unless You know JavaScript which makes that You are a dev.
If it was an essential add-on that a dev wants he would have done already - so no help.
A Foxi add-on dev will not help You either - You are using a FF clone that he does not support.

No help from outside You are on Your own. But it is not always a lost case.

You need a little HTML, other coding or daring to do anything. With that You can try to comment out and change little things. Trial and error, For password exporter I merely had to comment out ( // before the lines) functions that threw an error and were not really needed. You save Js as UTF8 - same with install.rdf.

So it is worth trying all this for Yourself even when U are a layman like me IMHO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 07:09AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.