Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Two problems
Posted by: Larkspur
Date: November 23, 2013 08:19PM

I've been using JamesD's version of K-Meleon since my last post when I learned that it solves the "about:blank" problem I was having. (Turns out the solution was not due to my changing something in Preferences but was in fact the result of something else in JamesD's version).

However there are two new problems I'm having with it.

The MHT extension does not work with it at all, and the KMA extension works rarely (same as with 1.6.0 Beta 2). My work-around for this has been to save the web page [complete] and then open the resultant file(s) into Firefox and save that as an MHT. Problem is, when I click on "Save As" in JamesD's version, nothing happens. So if I want to save a web page I'm forever having to switch back to K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2 to do so. And I save web pages all the time to read later.

2nd Problem: Cookie Culler is not working in 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 as it should. Even though I see a DOS window appear briefly each time I close K-Meleon, it is not deleting the unprotected cookies at startup. Also, Cookie Culler in 1.6.0 Beta 2 registers only persistent cookies. In 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 it registers all cookies, including session cookies. This creates twice as many cookies for each site to go through and unprotect, but as I said, Cookie Culler does not delete these superfluous entries on startup so it makes more work for me to get rid of them.

Is there a way to make K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 save its cookies in the same directory as 1.6.0 Beta 2? That way the version of Cookie Culler that is working correctly would do the job for both. I figured out how to save my bookmarks in the same location for both versions, which is why I thought this fix might work for stored cookies as well.

Thanks,

Larkspur

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two problems
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 24, 2013 06:47PM

I have not used the extensions about which you asked. I don't remember where cookies were in beta 2 but they are in your profile in a file named 'cookies.sqlite' in my beta 2.6 version.

If I can find some time, I will try the mht extension. Is that the system which saves everything to one file?

I use Cookie Monster for my cookies work.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: November 24, 2013 09:56PM

Hi James,

I was talking about the "Save Page As" function under the File menu. It works in the 1.6.0 Beta 2 version but not in yours. I know getting the MHT extension to work is probably going to be a headache. But if you can get the "Save Page As" to work, I can, as a said, save a page as "Web Page, Complete" and later save it in Firefox as MHT.

Yes, MHT is the extension that saves everything to a single "snap-shot" file.

For some reason, Cookie Monster stopped working for me. Probably because I have been forced to stay with an older version of Firefox (the newer versions tax my RAM too much). But I was under the impression that Cookie Monster only works for IE and Firefox. Does it work for K-Meleon as well?

Cookie Culler is working fine in 1.6.0 Beta 2 but for some obscure reason it functions quite differently in 1.6.0 Beta 2.6. For the time being I'm going to take the "cookies.sqlite" that is in the K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2 directory and copy it over the one in 1.6.0 Beta 2.6. If I occasionally run 1.6.0 Bet 2 that will keep my cookies up-to-date.

Thanks,

Larkspur

Postscript: Did some digging and it appears that Cookie Monster may work for K-Meleon. On this page http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/ExternalApplications#cookies there is a macro described that will delete unwanted cookies on exit. But when I clicked on the link where the download is supposed to be located all I found was skins, backgrounds and throbbers. The only macros I've ever used were for WordPerfect, so macros are a bit of terra incognita for me.

Date: November 25, 2013 12:30AM

Hello Larkspur,

I don't seem to have a problem with 'Save Page As' in my beta 2.6 version. While I usually need only to save the html code of the page, I did just run a test and saved a page complete. KM makes a folder with all the other bits and pieces of the page. Have you not been able to do a save page complete at all?

I use Cookie Monster, but I run it completely outside of KM. Do you wish it to run always at shutdown of KM? I might be able to do something for that. I do not have and have never seen the macros that Jujuland might have had for this. Cookie Monster cannot run while KM is active.

Edit:
It looks like that in 2007 with KM 1.02 I did have a macro for Cookie Monster. That used OnQuit to start CM but KM has too much to do when ending and CM starts too soon now. I will have do some work on it before it can be successful.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 01:05AM by JamesD.

Date: November 25, 2013 08:39PM

Okay, I'm guessing one of two things is causing the "Save Page As" to not work. Either it's a bug that only affects people running Windows XP 32 bit, or some of the original files have become corrupted. So let's start with the second assumption -- corrupted files.

Not sure how to proceed. If K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 came with an installer I would simply uninstall and reinstall it, saving the 6df757bb.default file. How do you suggest I proceed with a "reinstall" if I don't want to start from scratch and redo all my extensions, reset my preferences and so on?

As for Cookie Monster, it would really be nice if someone using your version would look into why Cookie Culler (which works perfectly in 1.6.0 Beta 2) is not deleting unprotected cookies on startup as it is supposed to and why it registers so many duplicate cookies. Cookie Culler in 1.6.0 Beta 2 lists 22 protected cookies. In 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 it lists 66, two-thirds of them being duplicates. I did reinstall CookieMonster and set it to read Geko-based cookies but as long as cookies are not being read correctly in 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 it does not solve my problem.

Date: November 26, 2013 01:31PM

I have XP on a laptop here. I am going to get it out and double check that the save page as works there. I will report results.

One question - does the save page as HTML only work?

JamesD

Date: November 26, 2013 04:36PM

I tried "Save Page As" on my laptop with XP. It worked just fine. Just to make sure we are taking the same steps, I am going to describe each step that I do for the process.

FILE - SAVE PAGE AS
I get a "Save as" panel. The location defaults to the last one use, I think. Mine is the desktop. The suggested file name is "K-Meleon Extensions.htm". The file type is Web page, HTML ONLY. I think that one defaults to the last type used also.
CLICK ON DOWN ARROW by "save as type."
I now select "Web page, COMPLETE".
CLICK ON SAVE.
Two new item appear on my desktop. One is the "K-Meleon Extensions.htm" file and the other is a folder named "K-Meleon Extensions_files". That contains 25 files. Most are gif but there is a png, a js, and a css file also.

Are these the same steps that you are taking?

JamesD

Date: November 26, 2013 08:13PM

Hi James,

In answer to your questions, yes, the steps you described are exactly what I do to save a web page.

When I click on FILE --> SAVE PAGE AS... nothing happens. The "Save as" panel does not open. In 1.6.0 Beta 2 it works fine.

So I'm going to assume that some file has become corrupted. Will report back after I "re-install" 1.6.0 Beta 2.6.

Thanks

Date: November 26, 2013 10:18PM

I may have a solution to your cookies problem. I have been able to get Cookie Monster to run after KM automatically. Well, nearly so. It still asks to delete the cookies, but you can set that to happen on the next exit, or every exit, or not at all.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/CookieM_auto.7z

This 7z file contains two files which should be put in your macro or user macro folder.

This is only temporary as Cookie Monster 3.47 does not read the cookies in the new KM 74 version.

JamesD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.