Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
firefox plugin for kmeleon
Posted by: Johannes wünsche
Date: November 13, 2009 02:02AM

Dear reader, i tell u what i wish to have in k-meleon.

first u must know about my system and software.
I use k-meleon on a old notebook with 166Mhz without MMX and 64Mb ram.
I use k-meleon on win me

I know k-meleon support not really plugins of firefox and co. but i have see other browser company they have realtime antivirus scanner for websides and downloads.

this is what i wish for a secure browseing with k-meleon.

i have running only a pc scanner on this. this programm work at this time over 24 hours and more and have no real time scanner onboard.

not many up to date anti virus scanner are for win me. and when they have no realtime scaner onboard.

many antivirus software include only IE6 and or need activex.

please make a anti virus plugin or tell the hole world how to use freeware antivirus software with k-meleon

P.S. on many websides my browser say sripte stopping or no.

i think that ist flash or java but for win me are no up to date java and flash to download. how can i kill this error

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: firefox plugin for kmeleon
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 13, 2009 02:39PM

i don't use an antivirus so i don't realy know much about them but i believe it's the antivirus-programmers responsibility to support whichever browser the user decides to use and it's also their responsibility to provide such plugins.. i think most known antiviruses so support live scanners for any browser but maybe someone who knows better can elaborate on this.

nonetheless, on knext privacy page..there are 3 macro extensions to enable the user to check links on pages with free online virus scanners:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext1.htm
dr.web
mcafee site advisor
norton's safe web
and there's also an extension to check for phishing sites: anti-phisher

to control script time for non-responding scripts (usually triggered by heavy or badly coded actionscript flash) go to about:config (edit>configuration>advanced) and find this entry: dom.max_script_run_time and change the value according to your preference

p.s the flash10 installer only runs on recent windows versions but the plugin itself should work on windows me but i'm not very sure.. i 've used the flash10 plugin npswf32.dll on windows 98 with absolutely no problems. you can test to see if it works on win me: first download the standalone plugin from this page:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplug.htm
extract npswf32.dll in k-meleon\plugins folder and open help menu>about plugins to register it and ensure it's the correct flash 10 version.

test the plugin on these sites
lizasnyder.com (basic flash with sound and transitions and without actionscript)
omgpop.com (heavy actionscript flash site)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 02:47PM by disrupted.

Posted by: Matt
Date: November 13, 2009 05:35PM

Johannes, try out SpywareGuard or SpywareBlaster. Both apps work on Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and blaster supports K-Meleon, mayby guard also but I did not test it.

Posted by: mslayer
Date: November 13, 2009 11:08PM

From time to time I check this forum: msfn boards They have a useful list of software that runs on WIN9X and WinMe. There are also some threads regarding the install of the new Flash versions in old systems.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 14, 2009 01:20AM

@Johannes wünsche

Since Windows Me doesn't offer a concept of different user accounts it's unsecure by design to begin with.
I can't imagine a realtime monitor that will work for you with 166Mhz without slowing down your system to a crawl. Whatever those AV-plugins you speak about do, they for sure can't be the equivalent of a RTM. Read carefully what they do.
If security is an issue for you:
- dump IE
- strictly avoid all third party browser plug-ins (independent of which browser you use)
- disable JavaScript in your browser and enable it only on sites you can't live without and only if it's absolutely neccessary

Last but not least an interesting reading about Adobe Flash:
Flash Origin Policy Issues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2009 01:21AM by Yogi.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 14, 2009 02:06PM

Hehe Yogi, that's exactly how I saved myself for many years now :cool:
As well as being very careful with opening mails, if not sure first checking their content in the properties/source-code first. But for a real-time virus scanner my first machine (350MHz) was just too slow, and often had bluescreens. Today I'm using at least a little firewall, zone alarm 6.1.744, outdated but last one working on win98, and fast. Better than nothing.

That is, the plugins weren't really completely blocked until recently, because until then I found it too cumbersome with enabling/disabling. Now I use that macro: main2.kmm
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,87815,97969#msg-97969
It adds a toggle for "objects" (=plugins like flash, pdf, etc.) to the privacy menu, alongside the blocks for javascript, images, cookies etc.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 14, 2009 08:13PM

Johannes wünsche
first u must know about my system and software.
I use k-meleon on a old notebook with 166Mhz without MMX and 64Mb ram.
I use k-meleon on win me

I know k-meleon support not really plugins of firefox and co. but i have see other browser company they have realtime antivirus scanner for websides and downloads.

this is what i wish for a secure browseing with k-meleon.

i have running only a pc scanner on this.

1.) K-Meleon can not use most FireFox XUL based extensions and has no xpi installer service. But all current browsers (including Firefox) but except IE share a common "Netscape/Mozilla" plugin model. When You installed You were asked whether K-Meleon is a Mozilla product or so? If You have chosen it, Your Registry let's Your K-Meleon use Netscape/Mozilla plugins. When You are installing any plugin or software (e.g. a music player or anti virus software) chose Mozilla/Netscape plugin support - not activeX. If an xpi instaler of plugin is offered - extract it (xpi = zip format!) look inside. It may contain usable plugins. grinning smiley

2.) The Problem is that Windows ME does not do multi tasking well. I used it on a Pentium 500 with 192 MB RAM. You can run Windows ME just with a firewall and scan downloads & mails before You open them. IMHO try to replace PC power with brain.

Maybe get autoruns and process explorer from sysinternals. Have a look on their other tools too. You can make Your system quite secure & faster if You deactivate some processes. Make sure that no programs except the firewall are in autostart (a virus will have to start without Your help ) and make sure that only known programs run (check it every once in a while, and run a virus scan when the PC is unused). You will get away with that for ages (so did siria and I). smiling smiley Windows 98 and ME is rare.

Virus programmers will make programs for XP and newer. An unprotected XP without firewall will be infected within a few minutes - that was the first lesson I had to learn when I moved from ME to my first XP machine. The machine was infected before I had updated to SP1 grinning smiley

Close possible inroads by deactiavting the dcom services.

Deinstall IE - later reinstall it again. That way it is not auto-starting & eating no CPU time and is less integrated into Your system. Maybe use the free preview of 98lite for (if I remember right it offered that). I guesss, You only rarely use IE anyway - so why let it start on every system start

Maybe use Outlook exorzist to deinstall Outlook Express and get a new safer mail program that is less integrated into You system.

Mit freundlichem Gruß aus Hannover / wenn irgend etwas unklar geblieben ist, frag muttersprachlich nach. Dies ist ein mehrsprachiges Forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2009 08:23PM by guenter.

Date: November 14, 2009 09:53PM

guenter
An unprotected XP without firewall will be infected within a few minutes

Indeed, but only with some NT-services enabled unfortunately by default.
Once disabled the system becomes locked.

Date: November 15, 2009 11:26AM

Thx for info. I did not know that this was the reason & will have a closer look.

Well - I did never know why it went wrong. Who can expect that in a home version? Finally did the updates with firewall. I never again used any XP system online without a firewall. smiling smiley

Currently I use nlite pre-configured install CDs - shutting down gadgets i do not use merely for efficiency not for safety. grinning smiley

Date: November 15, 2009 08:04PM

guenter
Who can expect that in a home version?

Das war glaube ich schon mit Win98 auch nicht anders. Waren da Datei- und Druckerfreigabe nicht auch ursprünglich automatisch aktiviert?

guenter
Finally did the updates with firewall. I never again used any XP system online without a firewall. smiling smiley

Mit geschlossene Dienste sind auch die entsprechende angesprochene Ports zu.
Das System ist von außen dicht. Mehr kann auch eine Firewall nicht machen.
Der einzige Nutzen einer Firewall auf einen sicher konfigurierten System auf dem keine Dienste laufen ist unerwünschte Verbindungen nach außen zu blocken.
Allerdings machen sie das mit unterschiedlichem Erfolg.
Raffinierter Schadcode der auf Kernel-Ebene operiert dürfte eine Firewall die auf denselben System lauft mit Leichtigkeit umgehen. Genauso Tools wie Process Explorer zum Beispiel.
Der einzige unbestreitbare Nutzen einer hochkonfigurierbaren Firewall auf einen Desktop ist der Lernprozess den er beim User auslöst. Voraussetzung natürlich, der User versucht die Arbeitsweise seiner Firewall(s) zu verstehen. Zumindest war es bei mir so smiling smiley

Date: November 16, 2009 05:59AM

98 kann sein?

Ich hatte 95 & OS/2 danach ME. Bei ME war ich schon so drauf, dass ich mit 98lite und den bereits genannten Tools alles abgeschaltet habe, was unter Verdacht war, unnötig zu laufen. Genau wie jetzt. Auf den Sicherheitaspekt bei ME bin ich durch die Beschreibung der Tools gekommen.

Und in den Jahren hier im Forum konnte ich nicht vermeiden - etwas zu lernen. grinning smiley

Dass es bei XP auch sicherer ist, hatte ich bisher nicht wirklich begriffen.
Abschalten ist eine Gewohnheit aus der Zeit, wo meine PCs suboptimal waren. smiling smiley

p.s. Ich glaube, es gibt für Johannes und sein ME keine Updates der Java VM mehr zum runterladen sad smiley Da kann man für ME nur noch die JVMs finden, die z.B. als Dreingabe mit Netscape 7 oder 7.2 waren. Sehr ärgerlich.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 02:22PM by guenter.

Date: November 16, 2009 09:53PM

guenter
98 kann sein?

98 war der Nachfolger von 95 und meine erste Bekanntschaft mit Microsoft smiling smiley
ME habe ich übersprungen (konnte mich nicht überzeugen) und landete schließlich bei W2K.
XP ist eigentlich ein aufgebohrter (und aufgeblähter) W2K. Vermutlich wird W2K meine letzte Bekanntschat mit M$ bleiben.

guenter
Dass es bei XP auch sicherer ist, hatte ich bisher nicht wirklich begriffen.

Grundsätzlich und unabhängig vom Betriebssystem ist es immer sicherer einen Dienst (Port an dem der Dienst lauscht) den man nicht braucht zu schließen als mit einer Firewall zu schützen. Abgesehen davon spart man auch an Ressourcen.

guenter
Ich glaube, es gibt für Johannes und sein ME keine Updates der Java VM mehr zum runterladen sad smiley Da kann man für ME nur noch die JVMs finden, die z.B. als Dreingabe mit Netscape 7 oder 7.2 waren. Sehr ärgerlich.

Ärgerlich, mag sein aber auf alle Fälle sicherheitstechnisch bedenklich.
Persönlich habe ich weder Programme die eine Java-Umgebung benötigen noch bin ich ein Freund von Java-Applets im Browser. Aus Sicht eines Entwicklers sicherlich eine tolle Sache. Aus meiner Sicht als Anwender, etwas auf das ich leicht verzichten kann und auch tue smiling smiley

Date: November 16, 2009 10:09PM

siria
It adds a toggle for "objects" (=plugins like flash, pdf, etc.) to the privacy menu, alongside the blocks for javascript, images, cookies etc.

I'm sure it will be very handy for many people.
Nevertheless Flash is a risk and IMHO there is nothing Adobe can do about. It's the way Flash gets handled by the browser. Basically everybody is at risk.
Flash Origin Policy Issues
I don't want to make panic just to inform.
I don't even know if there are already (malicious) manipulated/disguised flash files in the wild or if there will be in the future. There are many millions of users viewing flash sites/vids and no complains so far.
All I know is that it's possible to make such files and you can get hit by such files with flash installed and unblocked even if you won't even notice any flash object on the site you visit. New Flash Attack Has No Real 'Fix'
Basically there is almost no warranted secure site not to mention Youtube where anybody can upload vids, you can toggle flash on/off without any theoretic risk at least.

However you can also watch or save your flash vids without making use of flash at all in a much convenient format:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 10:11PM by Yogi.

Date: November 17, 2009 05:29AM

Johannes hat übrigens den selben Provider wie du

Ich mag aber Java Applets.

Also finde ich es = sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 05:33AM by guenter.

Date: November 17, 2009 05:21PM

Deine Seite smiling smiley ?

guenter

Außer uns beiden dürften noch etliche Millionen den rosa Riesen als Provider haben.
BTW, schöne Grüße aus Bayern smiling smiley

Date: November 19, 2009 06:15AM

Yogi

Deine Seite smiling smiley ?

guenter

Außer uns beiden dürften noch etliche Millionen den rosa Riesen als Provider haben.
BTW, schöne Grüße aus Bayern smiling smiley

Ja. Kann ich bald wieder posten.

Gut geraten grinning smiley

T ist in Deutschland sehr verbreitet. Sonst waren noch IPs aus Argentinien & Ägypten.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.