Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
TTS Reader
Posted by: D_S
Date: October 10, 2009 05:37PM

God, I wish this extension came with SHUT UP button too!

I just tried this extension, and - stupidly - I used CTRL-A to select all on the page (which was my igoogle page) and because there is so much text, my computer is still reading it for already 5+ minutes grinning smiley
Yes, I closed K-Meleon and she is still reading it! (from the cache I think? even though my KM is set to clear cache when close - but I guess since files are in use KM didnt delete them?)
I'll waith until my video rendering finishes and then I'm going to log off to kill it, IT DRIVES ME NUTS grinning smiley

Add some warning, guys winking smiley

/edit:
Really, please add some option/button/whatever to close TTS to it, and option to shutdown TTS when K-M is closed automatically (this is a must IMHO!)
It's been half an hour and this b*tch is still reading out loud the news from the page I closed long time ago... I had to mute sound because I see no other way to shut it but to log out or restart computer (which I can't at this moment)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 06:07PM by D_S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TTS Reader
Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: October 10, 2009 06:34PM

grinning smiley i'm very sorry about this inconvenience

km reader was originally written as an accessibility helper and i didn't think it would be used to read whole pages and this annoying bug was overlooked because the early versions had limitations on the amount of text
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,85780,90529

it would only read small paragraphs so closing it wasn't really a required feature.. now that it can read everything, you are right it needs to be killed. the text is read from the clipboard first and now reading it from your memory..so you got no way out but to close kmreader from the taskmanager

for a quickfix..i made a couple of small updates to the extension, download it from here:
http://kmext.sf.net/files/kmreader.7z

now on closing kmeleon or closing the tab, km reader will immediately quit reading

i'm currently working on a media bar extension which will mainly be for streaming radios and playing music but will also have many options for reading pages..like auto reading entire pages without the user having to select anything..and ofcourse it will have a button to stop reading grinning smiley

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: October 10, 2009 11:17PM

disrupted,

Greetings again and thanks for the updated macro, but now I get this error at kmeleon startup:

"The variable 'OnCloseTab' does not exist. Did you declare it? Is it in scope?"

Remember, I'm on kmeleon 1.1.3 smiling smiley

soccerfan

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 11, 2009 08:52AM

onclosetab event is supported by 1.5.x only.. it won't work in 1.1.x

this is different version for 1.1.x
http://kmext.sf.net/files/kmreader1.1.x.7z

there's also been an update to avoid multiple instances for both versions, so download kmreader again from kmext for 1.5

and a bug fix for foolproof terminator

Date: October 11, 2009 01:00PM

disrupted
onclosetab event is supported by 1.5.x only.. it won't work in 1.1.x

this is different version for 1.1.x ...
there's also been an update to avoid multiple instances for both versions, so download kmreader again from kmext for 1.5

and a bug fix for foolproof terminator

Thanks. Works well. Your quick response is much appreciated.

soccerfan

Date: October 11, 2009 02:12PM

Spoke too soon...
Upon closing browser, I get this error message with an OK button to click:

Invalid macro reference. The macro 'OnQuitKillreader' does not exist.

EDIT:
I may have found the culprit. In kmreader.kmm replacing this line
$OnQuit=OnQuit."killreader;";
by the one below
$OnQuit=$OnQuit."killreader;";
seems to fix the problem (needed the extra $ sign).

soccerfan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 02:39PM by soccerfan.

Date: October 11, 2009 05:33PM

sorry, i was quite tired when i made 1.1.x macro.. thanks for spotting it, i've uploaded the fixed one and added both versions
http://kmext.sf.net/ext7.htm

Date: October 11, 2009 09:08PM

disrupted
sorry, i was quite tired when i made 1.1.x macro.. thanks for spotting it, i've uploaded the fixed one and added both versions
http://kmext.sf.net/ext7.htm

No problem. Just keep doing what you are doing to help the km community smiling smiley

soccerfan

Posted by: 888
Date: October 11, 2009 09:36PM

I'm sorry to report it, but I just tested on KM 1.5.3/W2K and it does not close when tab or browser is closed. To terminate it I had to kill kmreader.exe in task manager.

Date: October 12, 2009 12:20AM

this is very serious..that means you have an internal macro problem because onclosetab event is either not recognised or not functional.. i don't even think testing with a secondary profile will make it work..you need to reinstall..even a dirty install from 7z.

first test with the version for 1.1.x, if it works that means your events work except for onclosetab.. could be but not likely a profile error, if the 1.1.x version does not work, then you must reinstall kmeleon because that would mean all your macro event commands aren't working

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 12:41AM by disrupted.

Date: October 12, 2009 12:38AM

download this macro:
http://kmext.sf.net/tests/tabeventclose-test.kmm

save in macros folder and restart kmeleon

open several tabs and close them..everytime you close one, a notepad instance should pop.

test2: close kmeleon, another notepad instance should pop

if the tests are successful..then bug is possibly with kmreader
if the tests fail, reinstall kmeleon; preferably a clean install

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 12:42AM by disrupted.

Date: October 12, 2009 12:45AM

sorry, it was my mistake..thank you for finding that bug (i kinda added a line from foolproof terminator to the last version-unwittingly ) and you downladed that version.

it's fixed now, please redownload

Date: October 12, 2009 12:46AM

You scared me grinning smiley
I did as you said.
Notepad pops-up with every tab closed, so i guess it is working.
Going ro reinstall KM... /cut/

edit - You replied as I typed, I see - I'm going to install new reader then, will reply in few min.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 12:48AM by 888.

Date: October 12, 2009 12:49AM

no no..it was a bug in kmreader a wrong line added from foolproof terminator..i was woking with both at the same time..no need to reinstall anything.

i will now check foolproof terminator..it might start reading out text when kmeleon closes

Date: October 12, 2009 01:05AM

All good now.

I uninstalled previous and installed the new reader extension (both using KEM - I love it winking smiley ), tested with tab closing = works OK, tested with closing KM = works OK too.

Just for the sake of testing in the spirit of the first post, I selected everything to read on a longest blog I could find, let it read for awhile and I closed KM. Did the same with reading from one of the tabs and from single opened page. All OK.

Then I tried selecting text to read in different tabs. In this test only 1st tab is still being read, others get AutoIt error "Line -1:" (as it should).

The only time this extension was going on reading is when K-M crashes (I simulated it by abruptly killing k-meleon.exe in Task Manager).

SO, it is all good now, I think. grinning smiley
BTW - this is great extension, disrupted.
If only I could have some better than Mike, Mary, Sam and L&H Michael/Michelle voices for TTS engine, I would use TTS more often... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 01:08AM by 888.

Date: October 12, 2009 01:42AM

how about ann? default tts voice in vista.. very crisp, but ms doesn't make it available for download so people move to vista.

ann comes for free with microsoft route2007 and someone has uploaded her there:
http://deboraguarda.com/debora/ROUTE2007/Streets/MSMap/Redist/MSTTSEng_21/

save both files in the same folder and run msttsengine.msi and it will install ann.
after that open your speech control from the control panel and select ann

ann requires sapi5

test ann
http://kmext.sf.net/media/ann.mp3

Date: October 13, 2009 02:18AM

MS Ann voice is much better than MS Mary or LH Michelle. Very pleasant voice, actually.
Big thanks, disrupted!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.