unMHT Extension
Posted by: Gorilla
Date: January 11, 2011 08:24PM

Hello, there is a good extension for Firefox called unMHT ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8051/ ). It saves and reads MHT files very well. I would love to be able to use this extension with K-Meleon.

I am requesting the UnMHT extension gets ported to K-Meleon.

I know there is already an MHT add-on for K-Meleon, but it requires external exe's to function and I just can't get it to work - and the UnMHT extension is much more powerful.

So is there any chance of seeing UnMHT getting ported to K-Meleon?

Thanks.

Re: unMHT Extension
Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 21, 2011 11:57PM

doesn't work in kmeleon..we tried it before, component files are not compatible; km doesn't support the service:removed at gecko level

Posted by: Gorilla
Date: January 24, 2011 12:57AM

Aww, that's a shame.

How about the Mozilla Archive File Format MAFF extension thingy, has that ever been tried with K-Meleon?

Also, I remember the unMHT author producing a Javascript only user.js type file to save MHT's in Opera and Safari with. Would there be any likely chance of K-Meleon being able to save MHT's with that Javascript file?

Posted by: disrupted[unlogged]
Date: January 24, 2011 05:32PM

nah, the maff didn't work either. maff was experimental format and never released as final. it had its own bugs on firefox.

mht is microsoft proprietary format and most extensions saving/reading mht rely on IE object calls- opera is one of the few browsers that doesn't use the ms standard(object call) in mht saving.. technically it's borderline illegal but for some unknown reason ms isn't concerned. anyways, the js relies on the same ie object calls used in the kmeleon mht extension. for some reason and on some systems mht object calls fails while it works directly from an ie session..there are several online solutions covering this issue, i think it has to do with registered ie libraries that even in some cases causes ie itself to fail in saving and reading mht files. so the problem isn't the js or the km mht extension itself..when it fails to be called externally it fails globally so it isn't going to work with any 3rd party/js regardless of what browser or application is calling it. the js uses the same ie object calls. i had such an experience when testing an ie clone browser..i don't know what it did but after mht service failed in kmeleon and ie, i just restored the registry to fix it but haven't dug deep to see what registry key causes the problem.

couple of sites covering this issue:
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/problems-opening-mht-files/172894.html
http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-internetexplorer-general/326662-cannot-open-mht-mhtml-files-ie-6-ie7-ie8-solved.html

in the early 2000's, a couple of developers created a new 'openmht' format in an effort to break from ms mhtml monoply.. they tried to make it standard but unfortunately it soon died..there was either no enough support/interest or ms got really bovvered.

so anyway, mht can become painful in non-ie browsers but it;s almost certainly a registry problem causing it to fail in kmeleon mht extension.. the extension is not linked to kmeleon or gecko in anyway..they are simply using ie object calls[saving in mht format using internet explorer commands without actually opening an ie window) others had similar complaints. i have no idea how to fix it but if the extension fails, it fails elsewhere..whether js or other application as long as it's not ie or opera(which has another method in saving) in some cases it can also fail in ie itself.

if you're after a single file format and not specifically mft; 2 extensions offer that:
kma which compresses the files and extracts the index on read(hence mafuka), it's kinda cumbersome
phf which is a true single archive format.. compresses even bettter than mht and opensource..it's my recommendation and works even better than mht in ie or opera, the file is accessible to any browser without any additional plugins and reads as regular html
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm

Posted by: JackPots
Date: March 14, 2011 12:56AM

disrupted[unlogged]

mht is microsoft proprietary format and most extensions saving/reading mht rely on IE object calls- opera is one of the few browsers that doesn't use the ms standard(object call) in mht saving.. technically it's borderline illegal but for some unknown reason ms isn't concerned.
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm

Respectfully, your opinions are false. Better said: MHT is a RFC standard, mainly used by Microsoft. Its usage, or lack of, is economic-based, not technical, or even legal. MHT is just a container text file, similar to a rich format email file. It represents an HTML and its ancillary files, such as image and CSS encoded in base64. It also includes some metadata, such as original URL, and timestamps.

Whether other developers use OE (not IE) calls, may also be false, however, it could be plausible, and recommended. It would be less economical for Campbell Soup to attach a can opener to every can. If a component is available on a user's PC, then use it. IE relies on Outlook Expess (inetcomm.dll+) to save and view MHT. Opera 11, I infer, does not use OE for MHT. For example, I cannot save or view MHT in IE8, since OE was never installed; Opera saves and views well.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.