Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
NoScript Removal Question
Posted by: duffy2009
Date: January 06, 2010 10:56AM

I just found out today that I should have installed Policies Manager and not NoScript. In the Policies Manager download there is a ReadMe text file that says the following.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

policy manager will not work properly if you have noscript installed. make sure to uninstall noscript first. if you have previously installed noscript and removed it..there might be remnant noscript settings that can conflict with policy manager, you must delete all noscript settings from prefs.js..

you can remove noscript prefs by opening your profile prefs.js in notepad and remove those settings..a better and safer way is by using the preferential extension available at http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/preferential.7z
install preferential and then open it from edit>configuartion>advanced config ..find noscript strings and delete them

please note: noscript is not a recommended addon because its original author maone is not a trustworthy person (suspected hacker/malware programmer)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I downloaded and installed "preferential" and when I go into Edit>Configuration> ... there is no "Advanced Config" showing. Why am I not seeing this next step? I have manually removed what was installed when I installed NoScript. One item I found in the Components Folder is "nsPROXYAUTOCONFIG" ... that wasn't in my original install ... should that also be removed ? ... does that "ns" stand for NoScript or maybe something with Netscape or "network security". Anything else I should look for before I install Policies Manager? thanks ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 11:19AM by duffy2009.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NoScript Removal Question
Posted by: mhf
Date: January 06, 2010 11:35AM

I had the same problem !
The menu entry is called : Menu>Configuration>Extra Config

Once in Preferential do a search for NoScript - there are a lot of entries. However after doing that I still had to do a manual search for bits and pieces here and there in the folders.

I can't answer for the rest, but can say that Policy Manager is much better than NoScript.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 06, 2010 01:33PM

The correct menu path in KM 1.5.x is : Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration. (or go to about:config in your URL bar)

"nsPROXYAUTOCONFIG" is a K-Meleon component file, is not a NoScript's file, not delete it.

- List of NoScript's files:

..\components\noscriptService.js
..\chrome\noscript.jar
..\chrome\noscript.manifest
..\defaults\pref\noscript.js
..\locales\xx-YY\NoScript.kml (xx-YY is your local language)
..\macros\noscript.kmm
..\skins\default\NoScript.bmp
..\skins\default\NoScript_large.bmp

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 01:41PM by desga2.

Posted by: duffy2009
Date: January 06, 2010 03:57PM

Hey thanks guys for the good info ... I found a NoScript item in every language folder in "locales" and took them all out. Wow, what a lot of "extra" work to get rid of that thing. Wish I had done more research before I had installed NoScript in the first place. I have four laptops to fix. Thanks again for the info, I would have never figured everything out ... probably would have missed something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 03:58PM by duffy2009.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 07, 2010 05:39PM

I you use KMES to install a K-Meleon Extension, when uninstalling with KMESmanager, all the files are removed automatically.

There are only prefs in prefs.js which aren't removed, because an install /uninstall is global, and prefs are per user.

I have tried to make a mechanism to delte for all profiles, but it's a pain to do and it slows K-Meleon at startup without gain compared having some prefs unremoved.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: anon
Date: February 21, 2015 09:19AM

So someone here mentioned NoScript is not a trustworthy program, something about the author of the program Maone? is this true? i often wonder about these firefox plugins but noscript has since become one of the largest used plugins(i guess) next to things like ghostery for privacy when browsing so stop trackers+scripts loading,
i was looking for some "up-to-date" feedback on how trustworthy noscript is today, anyone? same question for Ghostery...

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 21, 2015 12:35PM

anon
So someone here mentioned NoScript is not a trustworthy program, something about the author of the program Maone? is this true? i often wonder about these firefox plugins but noscript has since become one of the largest used plugins(i guess) next to things like ghostery for privacy when browsing so stop trackers+scripts loading,
i was looking for some "up-to-date" feedback on how trustworthy noscript is today, anyone? same question for Ghostery...

AFAIR There were some things in the distant past - 4 or so years ago - where some actions cast doubt and were held against Maone. AFAIK this was cleared up.

You can trim big addons a little by reducing the number off locales/translations.
Saves RAM IMHO.

ghostery. No idea. & I do not think it works for K-Meleon.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 22, 2015 11:56AM

Ghostery sells its database to someone, maybe shared owners (I don't remember now).

Noscript is OK.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.