Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: K-Meleon 1.5
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 26, 2008 11:18AM

@ peter

Can you give an estimate of the number of favorites that you have in your system? Also, what is your operating system and processor speed?

I think first time start up after a re-boot is always a little longer. Since I use IE Favorites rather than bookmarks, I don't know about startup speed without. I have 400 files and 38 folders in my favorites. I run on XP SP3 and a 1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron processor with 960 Megabytes Installed Memory.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: peter
Date: August 26, 2008 04:27PM

I have about 5000 files in my favorites folder. My system is XP SP2, 1 GHz duron and 512MB rom.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 26, 2008 05:16PM

@ peter

Wow, that is a lot of files. I am suprised you don't see an error on loading.
ie_favorites.cpp
#define MAX_FAVORITES 4096

#define ERROR_TOO_MANY_FAVORITES "Error! You have too many favorites!\n\n" \
"Right now, only 4096 favorites are supported"

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 26, 2008 08:29PM

:O I need add all page visited to my bookmarks in my life to have all this bookmarks/favorites pages.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 27, 2008 10:52AM

That was I feared when I've added the favicons to the favorites plugin. I suppose I'll remove this feature.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: August 27, 2008 02:00PM

Instead of removing it, it could be more easy to inactivate it.

Myself, and probably 99% of the people, only have about 30 to 80 items at favorites.

Posted by: Terry
Date: August 27, 2008 06:15PM

@Dorian - I am in agreement with enaitzjga. Rather than do away with favicons, allow an option for those who want an obese number of bookmarks not to use the favicons. Favicons have become one of the marks of a mature browser for some. I cannot understand 5000 bookmarks - it would take three and a half days to click through and look at them at the rate of one a minute!

Posted by: miya
Date: August 29, 2008 12:49AM

Dorian,
and everyone else who have contributed,

This is a great work. Clean, fast, and Stable. Yes Stable! Previous versions sometimes crash when I open a link with a new tub. I nontheless used K-Melon as my main browser for its great performance and features. But now with the problem being fixed, K-Meleon 1.5 is perfect for me.

Thanks,

miya

Posted by: Heraud
Date: August 29, 2008 02:00PM

Thanks to DORIAN and all the devlopment team ! Congratulations... This 1.5 version is one of the best i ever tested : so fast, stability, much less using memory than other browsers. I keep it as default browser and let firefox on the side...
Keep the good job on.
Have a nice day
Regios

Regios

Posted by: catB
Date: September 01, 2008 12:59PM

merci - thank you.

K-Meleon 1.5 is really perfect!

Catherine.

Posted by: stinch
Date: September 06, 2008 07:42AM

I am a fan of K-Meleon! Thnx x10 for the new version!
I just have two problems. 1. When I click clear all data in tools tab no action is taken and i have to do the cleaninng one by one which works. This was not a problem of my installed previous version of the browser. 2. May be its my fault of installing the program but this time I lost my preserved sessions (groups) from the previous version.

Posted by: pr0fessor
Date: September 07, 2008 12:30PM

i want "Pass web address directly to application" in download menu, like opera, so y can directly play mp3 and avi files from some sites without download. mplayerHQ can play them

Posted by: micro
Date: September 07, 2008 01:34PM

Hi,

Same here. Have upgraded and lost all previous groups saved. I've followed the advice above and enabled compat, and restarted. I still cannot find the original groups save.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Date: September 07, 2008 06:44PM

@ stinch and micro:

- About 1:
Are you sure, anything is cleared? What windows version are you using?
Where exactlly you are Clear All, from privacy bar or from menu Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data -> Clear all.

- About 2:
You must read Release Notes and follow instructions:
Release Notes
3 If you wish to go on using your existing profile that was created by a version prior to K-Meleon 1.5, open Edit - Preferences - Macro Extension, enable macro module compat and restart K-Meleon 1.5. This way you can also let your existing Groups be converted into Sessions.

Search your olds Groups in Sessions menu.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2008 06:45PM by desga2.

Date: September 08, 2008 05:36AM

desga2
@ stinch and micro:

- About 2:
You must read Release Notes and follow instructions:
Release Notes
3 If you wish to go on using your existing profile that was created by a version prior to K-Meleon 1.5, open Edit - Preferences - Macro Extension, enable macro module compat and restart K-Meleon 1.5. This way you can also let your existing Groups be converted into Sessions.

Search your olds Groups in Sessions menu.

Thanks desga2. I keep forgetting about the loader. <Alt><F><K> removes the window, but K-Meleon is still running as a process and must be killed from the task manager.

Once this was done, upon restart, a message popped up stating that the profile was created with a version prior to 1.5, and that all groups would be saved as sessions.

Final questions - what is the preferred method of cleanly restarting K-Meleon? Also, once the groups have been converted to sessions, can compat mode be turned off?

Thanks for a GREAT browser - keep up the good work!!

Cheers,

Date: September 08, 2008 05:52AM

micro
desga2
@ stinch and micro:

Final questions - what is the preferred method of cleanly restarting K-Meleon? Also, once the groups have been converted to sessions, can compat mode be turned off?

Thanks for a GREAT browser - keep up the good work!!

Cheers,

I believe I've found the answers to both my questions:

1) compat macro extension is automatically disabled upon startup of the new session.

2) if the loader is being used, after exiting K-Meleon, the loader should also be exited.

I had forgotten about the loader as there was no icon in the task bar. Will investigate further.

Cheers

Posted by: George
Date: September 08, 2008 11:14AM

Updating K-Meleon 1.5 with Seamonkey Nightly is more complicated than K-Meleon 1.1.5.

Because embed_lite.dll does not allow you the nightly build xpcom_core.dll without crashing. Deleting embed_lite.dll

The xpcom_core.dll from K-Meleon 1.5 does not allow you to update gklayout.dll and gkparser.dll using the xpcom_core.dll from K-Meleon 1.1.5 allows you to update klayout.dll and gkparser.dll. The embed_lite.dll also has to removed when using the xpcom_core.dll from K-Meleon 1.1.5.

The last method of updating K-Meleon 1.5.0 with nightly builds is to copy xpcom_core.dll, gklayout.dll, gkparser.dll from K-Meleon 1.5 to K-Meleon 1.5 after updating. Making sure that embed_lite.dll is present. If it is not present copy it to K-Meleon 1.5

PS K-Meleon 1.1.6 can be updated with the same methods above. Except that you have to use K-Meleon 1.1.6 dlls instead of K-Meleon 1.5 dlls.

Posted by: daanhoog
Date: September 10, 2008 05:32AM

I would like to switch off session recovery. What is the procedure to do that?

Thanks very much for your help

Date: September 10, 2008 09:32AM

@ daanhoog:
I made a macro to 1.1.X versions to do this in MacroLibary.

But I'm updating it to 1.5 now. Please wait ...

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2008 09:33AM by desga2.

Posted by: jmillar
Date: September 10, 2008 01:53PM

I definitely favor an option to switch favicons on and off if that increases the number of possible bookmarks.

I have a HUGE number of folders and links which I actually NEED and USE on a regular basis. Several thousand, in fact. I need to keep Firefox for serious work in order to be able to hold the full list :-)

Another solution which I haven't tried is to use Opera to manage links, handling the Opera hotlist with K-meleon. Does the hotlist.dll have the same limitations as the bookmarks.dll ?

I've tried to split lists and link them as bookmarks to overcome k-meleon's limit but editing or modifying those ancillary lists is a hassle.

Sure wish I were a good enough coder to raise the bookmark'ceiling' by myself!

Posted by: stinch
Date: September 10, 2008 07:24PM

I am sure about history and url bar nothing is claered from menu Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data -> Clear all. Version Windows XP x32 professional. Thanks for youe attention!

Posted by: nico
Date: September 10, 2008 07:41PM

stinch
I am sure about history and url bar nothing is claered from menu Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data -> Clear all. Version Windows XP x32 professional. Thanks for youe attention!

+1

Windows XP x32 professional SP2, no work clear all

Date: September 11, 2008 03:33PM

@ daanhoog & the rest of people interested:
I updated ClearLastSession macro code in MacrLibrary.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Meehowski
Date: September 15, 2008 10:38PM

I'm lovin' it........

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 22, 2008 01:43PM

jmillar,

Have you thought about using a 3rd party bookmark manager for your permanent bookmarks?

I use GUL which I found here. First I backed up (zipped) my everuday bookmarks from K-Meleon, then I edited it down to my permanent ones. I installed GUL inside K-Meleon's folder (C:\Program Files\K-meleon\GUL) and then set it up to use K-Meleon and imported the new bookmark file. Then I unzipped my everyday bookmarks back into the profile folder (I use the ini file to keep everythying inside the program's folder and sub-folder structure). There are other more robust bookmark managers, but this one works for me.

N

Date: September 26, 2008 02:46PM

@ndebord

Formidable! Mais l'auteur de GUL a apparement quitté son site web chez Orange. D'ou peut-on telecharger GUL 1.3 aujourd'hui? Toutes mes efforts ont eté vaines.

Merci bien!
jmillar

Date: September 27, 2008 12:37PM

in about:config
general.useragent.locale
general.useragent.contentlocale
not work - is set to english (and i try witrh other - didn't work again). an when i go to skype.com kmeleon warn me that i must go to regional settings and install fonts to see correctly:
japanese text display
korean text display
tradiitional chinese text display
simplified chinese text display

this is in warning window only with ok, this message i show separately for every language...
is there other options to set user locale? i try with
intl.locale.matchOS
(i think this is option for kmeleon to use system locale from my o.s. - this dont work too - i use win2000)
sorry if my english is poor

Date: September 27, 2008 12:51PM
Date: September 27, 2008 08:39PM

@desga2 thx very much fot this:
How do to K-Meleon not warning me about fonts not installed?

You must created a new pref entry in about:config.
Go to Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration (or type about:config in URL bar)
Right click in preference list, and select New -> Boolean.
Named it: font.askWhenNeeded
And set value to: false

Date: September 27, 2008 09:52PM

@ndebord and others:

Where can I find the freeware GUL 1.3 bookmark manager? (to overcome kmeleon bookmark file size limitations). It seems to be 'abandonware' right now.

Thanks!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.