Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: K-Meleon 75 Beta 3
Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 05, 2015 08:40AM

Sourceforge connect was for an update - wasn't it?

But what for is google connect?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 05, 2015 09:42AM

@Siria

Using a sniffer isn't complicated at all. Writing a single line of macro is 100x complicated. smiling smiley
You only think so just because you never tried.

I wouldn't blame Google this time.
The connection to Google looks to be the result of a bug in KM-75b3u2.
I assume Dorian will fix this soon.

As for the connection to sourceforge.net, it was only because of the first run.
For a moment I forgot that I'm testing with a fresh install.
After the second and later starts it didn't occur anymore.

@Rodocop

Sourceforge.net connect was only because of the first run. Forget about it. Sorry, my bad.

As for Google:
Client Key Exchange, Change Cipher Spec - OCSP = Online Certificate Status Protocol
It's nothing evil. smiling smiley
However it shouldn't occur as long as I'm not connecting to Google on purpose.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 05, 2015 03:55PM

Yes, you already discovered, but the sourceforge.net is normal as it is the first start. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks to confirm smiling smiley

I didn't lose an hour of sleep for nothing tongue sticking out smiley

EDIT:
an easier way for testing, but I thought after wrote that this night, is to set the firewall, if you use one, to block any outgoing connection (because this doesn't stop Windows networking). But I don't know if all firewalls have that feature or if it is at hand. Should be, but I thought after I switched off.

@Siria, actually it isn't complicated, just a try and error until you discard everything. Maybe you need to know where to search, but in this case I didn't, I just discarded things.

That is the reason we need details when something fails. There could be a lot of tries and errors and knowing the scenario helps. If someone comes and just says, "it delays to open" doesn't help, but the question is how is happening?

EDIT2: look the toolbar dragging error, how much time took to be discovered. My fault, but I tried with tabs too in the past, but not this time.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 04:25PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: March 05, 2015 04:54PM

I don't have this problem and the fix for about:home has nothing to do with it. :s

Date: March 05, 2015 06:02PM

I hate when you do that tongue sticking out smiley

Let's show it on a video.

In this video I won't disconnect the WAN as I found 2 quicker ways, or pausing my DNS server, or what is at your hand, stopping the dnscache service, but doing this K-meleon will load faster as the DNS api is not available and doesn't try much to resolve the DNS and therefore load the Google URL.

You'll see:

1. I show that Google is in the DNS cache
2. I start K-meleon, which starts as fast as the virtual machine lets do it while I'm recording
3. I restart K-meleon again, which starts in a moment.
4. I flush the DNS cache
5. I start K-meleon. Now, even the video seems frozen, it is not, it took 40 seconds to launch.
6. I show that it hasn't been resolved www.google.com (as I stopped my DNS server and I didn't set a secondary server)
7. I start again the DNS server (it is happening in the background but I don't show) and I start K-meleon.
8. K-meleon starts instantly.
9. I display that the DNS has cached Google
10. I flush the DNS again and I start K-meleon again with, again, another looooong delay to open of about 50 seconds.

Note, that I used the quicker way disabling the DNS resolving, this is the same as if it wasn't Internet available, because it can't reach google.com and tries and re-tries.

Also, check that you didn't tweak the preference timeout for DNS resolving in K-meleon so it launch quicker.

I haven't shown the update 1 because there is no need. It launches normally.

Date: March 05, 2015 06:42PM

I believe you, but since it's not happening for me, there is probably another factor involved. I suppose you tried with a clean profile, maybe you have some external plugin?

Try to make an incremental update from u1 to u2 to pinpoint the problem. First the exe, then kplugins (not jsbridge), then browser (with jsbrige)

Really this is confusing, afaik there is no reference to google in kmeleon except for search.xml

Date: March 05, 2015 07:41PM

Forget about Google, Google is being mentioned because is what delays the start being tried to open.

That made a good hint (search).

The following preference modified, doesn't matter with what, avoid to trigger the DNS request and the try to open that page:
kmeleon.plugins.macros.search.meta0.url

For example from the default
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=
to
http://www.google.com/search?num=1000&q=

Now, your move. How is called that preference and why? tongue sticking out smiley

EDIT: sorry to throw my frustrations on my hardware issues here

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 08:53PM by JohnHell.

Date: March 05, 2015 08:32PM

@Dorian

I've retested with a fresh install on Win7.
- created a new folder
- unpacked K-Meleon75b3.7z in that folder
- unpacked K-Meleon75b3u2.7z in the same folder
- didn't touch any setting, leaving everything at its default value
- started the packet sniffer
- started K-Meleon75b3u2
- same connections to Google.com

All one needs to reproduce is a decent sniffer for best results and for as much details as possible.
I've used Wireshark. It's free and availably as portable app. To get reliable results with Whireshark, WinPcap should be installed on the system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 08:43PM by Yogi.

Date: March 05, 2015 08:53PM

I got it. Gecko pref system is following the link thinking it's a property file. Why you and not me, why it stops when you change it, are mysteries.

Date: March 05, 2015 08:56PM

@Yogi, try changing the preference to see if stops to happen on you too.

Date: March 05, 2015 09:06PM

what about OS versions and system setup where bug is present and where not?

Date: March 05, 2015 09:20PM

@JohnHell

Emptied the string. Issue solved. smiling smiley

Date: March 05, 2015 09:29PM

@Rodocop

I'm afraid the bug is present on all OS versions where KM-75b3u2 is running.
As for a solution, see JohnHell's post above.
However, a fix by Dorian will come soon.

Posted by: jasonliul
Date: March 06, 2015 02:47AM

Dorian
I believe you, but since it's not happening for me, there is probably another factor involved. I suppose you tried with a clean profile, maybe you have some external plugin?

Try to make an incremental update from u1 to u2 to pinpoint the problem. First the exe, then kplugins (not jsbridge), then browser (with jsbrige)

Really this is confusing, afaik there is no reference to google in kmeleon except for search.xml

i've try three times, rebuild clean profile.The problem is exe file.Just run several times, then UI vanished.
Win7 x64.

Date: March 06, 2015 07:18PM

@jasonliul

Try the crash plugin and see if it catches the error. You have to enable it manually in the pref panel.

Posted by: jasonliul
Date: March 07, 2015 06:31AM

Thanks, im testing now.

It caused by SpellCheck plugin, u2 can't import it, so sometimes just hanging up.
And KM74-KM75u1, no need to add windows firewall rule, but u2 have to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 01:32PM by jasonliul.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 07, 2015 02:56PM

Black button backgrounds:

In my VISTA I have 3 accounts (1admin, 2user, 3guest)
What's weird, only in the "2user" account the button background for KM-Icon and PageLoadError and counter button is BLACK.

But not in the other accounts.
I first assumed it may have to do with the windows theme, but 1+2 have XP-look-taskbar, 3 has Vista-look

That is with the same portable profile in KM root folder.

(note: crashreporter pref is "kmeleon.plugins.crashrpt.load")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 03:11AM by siria.

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: March 07, 2015 07:56PM

Saving an action to do when downloading a file doesn't work. It can be replicated by installing EagleGet's Firefox Addon, having K-Meleon download a file via it, clicking "Do this automatically...", clicking OK, then trying to download another file with the same extension (or the same file).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 07:57PM by Zero3K.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 08, 2015 12:40AM

rodocop
I support siria in that thought:

K-Meleon should use own macros not FF-addons where it's possible.

Also I think that supporting FF-bookmarks is needed only as export option - for compatibility.

Speaking about proxies - I think desga could find an erroneus part of xul as he offered some help with his Prefs panel.

Dorian
The current problem is the pref panel, which is a complete mess, but if someone has a fix i'll take it. And I'm not sure the macros will still work in future version of gecko.

Macro will be needed anyways and I'm not looking for a complex addon, but I understand that simplicity doesn't seem to exist with mozilla :s

Just asking anyways, I don't need this feature :p

I'm working on Preferences XUL panel, I fixed proxy preference problems with "Custom Proxy1" tab and other problems in proxy tab.

The problem was old code for compatibility with old prefs to easy and transparent preferences update.

Unpack \K-Meleon75b3\browser\omni.ja (remember it`s like a zip file)
Replace omni\chrome\kmeleon\content\kmprefs\pref-proxy.xul with attached file.
Repack omni.ja (zip without compression)

Also the preference network.proxy.type have a wrong default value of 5, the right value must be 0.

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 01:07AM by desga2.

Attachments: pref-proxy.xul (28 KB)  
Date: March 08, 2015 12:41AM

One thought about Google connections:

what if set pref
geo.enabled

to 'false' by default? I see no reason to leave it as 'true'. Dorian?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 12:42AM by rodocop.

Date: March 08, 2015 10:23AM

desga2
I'm working on Preferences XUL panel, I fixed proxy preference problems with "Custom Proxy1" tab and other problems in proxy tab.

Thank

desga2
Also the preference network.proxy.type have a wrong default value of 5, the right value must be 0.

This is firefox default. Why it's wrong?

Zero3K
Saving an action to do when downloading a file doesn't work. It can be replicated by installing EagleGet's Firefox Addon, having K-Meleon download a file via it, clicking "Do this automatically...", clicking OK, then trying to download another file with the same extension (or the same file).

Open about : preferences -> Application
Check if your file type is in the list.

siria
What's weird, only in the "2user" account the button background for KM-Icon and PageLoadError and counter button is BLACK.

Interesting. Do you have hardware acceleration disabled (layers.acceleration.disabled)? Your accounts have the same display settings?

rodocop
One thought about Google connections:

what if set pref
geo.enabled

Websites need permission to access it. No need to turn the feature off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 10:25AM by Dorian.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 08, 2015 11:39AM

Dorian
siria

Interesting. Do you have hardware acceleration disabled (layers.acceleration.disabled)? Your accounts have the same display settings?

That pref is false. All "layers" prefs are default (thin font)

Funny: The 'black' account had 16bits, and when turning on 32bit, only the counter button gets transparent, but not the other icons.

But that's about the only difference I could figure out, sorry. Compared all sorts of graphics and monitor settings with the 'good' admin account, ex/imported it's Windows Theme settings, but makes no difference. The about:home and errorpage favicons still have black background.

Dorian
rodocop
geo.enabled

Websites need permission to access it. No need to turn the feature off.

Of course there's a need. It's IMO a very important privacy setting and should be shown somewhere for users to toggle. Privacy Pref sheet or Privacy menu perhaps?

Date: March 08, 2015 12:14PM

Dorian

And this is the first reason of connection slowdowns for FF.
The first advice for new FF-users from gurus is to set proxy type in Preferences to 'Direct connection' (where it's really 'no-proxy') - which corresponds to '0' value.

'5' is for 'Use system settings' that leads for connection 'freezes' on many systems.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 12:16PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: March 08, 2015 03:48PM

Dorian
Zero3K

Its not in the list.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 08, 2015 04:05PM

Dorian
desga2

K-Meleon is not Firefox tongue sticking out smiley

This is the documentation about it:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.proxy.type

I think K-Meleon can't read the user network setting and this have problems with some configurations. And this can be the cause of delays starting K-Meleon 75b3.

Also all settings, preferences and macros expected for 0 as default value if this change we have modify macros and preferences.

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: March 08, 2015 04:57PM

@desga2

It would be nice to have an enhanced Proxy.kmm shipped by default. tongue sticking out smiley
One like Proxy2.kmm for instance.
It could be also a simple one (only toggle with "right-click for more options") that doesn't create its own toolbar but (with some line of code added to main.kmm) only uses the already existing one (e.g. PrivBar).
By default the item could be disabled/commented out on the PrivBar so it doesn't get in the way of most users who never use a proxy.
Those few using a proxy won't have to edit anything anymore after each update.

Date: March 08, 2015 05:17PM

If you had tested, geolocation does not work with kmeleon, so ...

network.proxy.type won't slow your startup unless you have problem with your system settings. The real problem is that the options is missing in the preferences.

I can add an upgraded proxy macro if it doesn't need new translations, or if it's already translated. Else this will be for next version.
Just send me what you think would be good.

Another update

K-Meleon 75 b3 update 3

Added spellcheck command to change dictionnary
Fixed slow startup and other minor things

Fix for click in menu will be in the RC with an updated GRE build

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 05:17PM by Dorian.

Date: March 08, 2015 05:24PM

Zero3K
Dorian
Zero3K

Its not in the list.

What do you have in your list, and what are you trying to add? They're usually added after the first download.

Anyone else has this problem?

Date: March 08, 2015 05:59PM

will be a list in about:Ñ€references syncronized with old KM MIME-types window?

Dorian
Anyone else has this problem?

I was adding sop-protocol association with Sopcast and it is present in the list and works. XPSP3 32bit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 06:11PM by rodocop.

Posted by: fred from nl
Date: March 08, 2015 06:05PM

> K-Meleon 75 b3 update 3
Can't open file K-Meleon75b3u3.7z with 7-zip 7.38 beta, filesize 110 kB.

Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.