K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: K-Meleon 74 Release Candidate & Update German Locale
Posted by: Zero3K
Date: August 19, 2014 09:40PM

adXok
Well...

Posting comments in Yotube seems not working. Opens some kind of a pop-up window which disappears after a second... and that's it.

Also the provided Youtube download extension for K-meleon 74 is not working (.manifest file is tweaked as required).

I'm not experiencing the issue with posting Youtube comments. You should try updating to the Update 1 of the RC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 19, 2014 10:19PM

I've found that the Profile Manager window delays a little (a second, a couple of seconds) for no apparent reason in a random way.

Sometimes opens instantly and others delay.

Confirm if you can.

Date: August 19, 2014 11:29PM

JohnHell
I've found that the Profile Manager window delays a little (a second, a couple of seconds) for no apparent reason in a random way.

Sometimes opens instantly and others delay.

Confirm if you can.

I cannot confirm that bug. Please check what kind of disk activity is occurring when you have it happening via Resource Monitor's Disk Tab.

Posted by: THX1138
Date: August 20, 2014 06:00AM

I've tried to avoid reporting annoyances about KM here, sticking to actual bugs, things that obviously don't work right, to keep from distracting our precious resources, our programmers, from going off on tangents that are not important towards making KM a viable and "go to" browser.

There are really only a few things that are preventing KM from becoming a perfectly acceptable and viable browser, and an alternative to the other browsers.

Here, I would like to say that if the SeaMonkey programmers didn't have such an arrogant attitude about implementing tab behaviors that users have requested, I wouldn't even be involved with KM. But they do have a terrible attitude about that, and no one has developed an add-on about tab behavior that fixes the stupid deficiency in SeaMonkey.

KM comes with really good tab behavior, built-in, with no add-on needed.

Now, if we can just get some of these simple errors corrected, we will have a wonderful browser, with old-school user interface features, which we all love, as a default.

KM74 allows rendering of the new HTML5 crap that all the big sites are now requiring. This is a major improvement over the last versions. Now we just need to clean up the UI a little so that basic things are taken care of.

Beyond that, the add-on compatibility issue should come last, and other minor points too.

Re: K-Meleon 74 Release Candidate
Date: August 20, 2014 06:12AM

Four more bugs and a minor issue I've noticed are the following:

1. Some site's favicon aren't being shown in the Bookmarks Menu. Some examples of sites that have this issue occur are:

http://www.horriblesubs.info/
http://www.unrestrict.li
http://community.tsg.tv

2. The title of some bookmarks when viewed in the Bookmarks Dialog Box is messed up. An example is the title "Snapfiles - freeware and shareware software downloads and reviews" being changed to "cnapfiles - freeware and shareware software downloads and reviews".

3. The first folder shown in the Bookmarks Dialog Box has the same icon as the root where they're all stored.

4. Adding a page to my Bookmarks results in the URL of the site being bookmarked not being assigned to it. An example of a site which makes the issue occur is http://www.fkdigital.net.

5. When loading multiple sites as tabs, the favicons of the other sites being loaded are showing in the URL Bar when the first created tab is being viewed. The favicon shown is the last loaded site's instead of the one belonging to the site that is currently being viewed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 03:46PM by Zero3K.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 20, 2014 08:38AM

adXok

Also the provided Youtube download extension for K-meleon 74 is not working (.manifest file is tweaked as required).

Sorry adXok, I was not aware that such exists, but:

Only extensions that come preinstalled with the browser are part of the K-Meleon project. Plus maybe the toolkit installer process adapted by naruman.

Third party extensions - even the ones on the K-Meleon extension page are created, maintained or made compatible to K-Meleon by the respective authors or users.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: August 20, 2014 10:12AM

Zero3K

1. Some site's favicon aren't being shown in the Bookmarks Menu. Some examples of sites that have this issue occur are:

http://www.horriblesubs.info/
http://www.unrestrict.li
http://community.tsg.tv

2. The title of some bookmarks when viewed in the Bookmarks Dialog Box is messed up. An example is the title "Snapfiles - freeware and shareware software downloads and reviews" being changed to "cnapfiles - freeware and shareware software downloads and reviews".

3. The first folder shown in the Bookmarks Dialog Box has the same icon as the root where they're all stored.

4. Adding a page to my Bookmarks results in the URL of the site being bookmarked not being assigned to it. An example of a site which makes the issue occur is http://www.fkdigital.net.

5. When loading multiple sites as tabs, the favicons of the other sites being loaded are showing in the URL Bar when the first created tab is being viewed until all of the other sites are loaded. Then the favicon used by the site being viewed is shown.

If the web site does not habe an Icoon No Icons will show up.

Ti see if the web site has its own icon you should do the following:

1. Load the Firefox Browser.
2 Click the spot on the address to the keft of website address you want to check for a website icon. Such as http://www.horriblesubs.info/
3. Select More imformation from the box that pops up.
4. The Select Media.
5. Select Icon from the website address and click save as image.
6. Save the icon to the Desktop or the other location whuch creates the icon file favicon.ico
6. Ricgt Click on a any desktop icon and under shortcuts has option to "change icon" in windows.
7. The the pssib;e icons show up for the desktop icon select Btowsee.
8 Change the file extenstion to type to icons files.
5. Select favicon.ico from the saved location. If the icon file has no icons you get the message that this file has no icons.

If it does have an icon the icon of your desktop icon is changed. You can also change an icon by select bact to orginal by browsing to the location of the EXE file in the shortcut and select that EXE file whuch displays the list of icons fro that EXE file.

Date: August 20, 2014 10:49AM

Zero3K
adXok
Well...

Posting comments in Yotube seems not working. Opens some kind of a pop-up window which disappears after a second... and that's it.

I'm not experiencing the issue with posting Youtube comments. You should try updating to the Update 1 of the RC.

Confirmed for an updated 74 RC.

I reactivated my old account. My post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNYEEY17VxA

The post of 12345sterndaler
vor 42 Sekunden

Schöne Gegend aber kein Monster.

Was posted with RCC. Can it be that we have made a step to the worse?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 12:11PM by guenter.

Posted by: adXok
Date: August 20, 2014 02:44PM

Hi, guenter
What do you mean by: Was posted with RCC
I have installed K-Meleon 74 RC with u1 form the post of Dorian

Dorian
Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 18, 2014 02:29AM

Update to RC (this was the link to the .zip archive)

About K-Meleon says:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0

Going to Youtube... (attached is a .gif file to visualize the problem)
youtube-comment.gif

I am using Windows 7 x64. Do I have to give compatibility option to K-meleon to run in XP mode or something?!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 03:12PM by adXok.

Date: August 20, 2014 06:19PM

Zero3K
Here's a screenshot of the "Icons in the Open/Save As dialog box being randomly changed to blank ones" issue:

Looks like a windows issue. If there was a leak you would get more important problems than that. Though you can still check how many gdi object kmeleon is using with the task manager.

adXok

Crash report:
Assume I have forgotten to change may keyboard layout to Latin and so I write the web address in Cyrillic ? K-meleon crashes silently!!!
In fact it crashes if any Cyrillic letters are included the web-adrress!

I don't have problem with cyrillic or any other languages. What url did you try to open?

Zero3K
"You are using a version of Firefox which is unsupported. Some features may not work correctly. Please update your browser or try Google Chrome."

Not really an issue, since there is a new esr version, I suppose google stopped to support FF 24 "officially"

adXok

Already discussed. You need to allow third party cookies in preferences.

THX1138
There are really only a few things that are preventing KM from becoming a perfectly acceptable and viable browser, and an alternative to the other browsers.

Which are ? smiling smiley

Zero3K

Favicon was never fully implemented with the bookmarks. It relies on the icon cache. So if you deleted it and didn't revisit the site, bookmarks will not show the icon anymore.
There are various issues with the plugin. It's old and difficult to maintain. Probably, the best move from here would be to switch to places and use the firefox bookmark manager.

Zero3K

Isn't that the "new bookmark folder" ? It has indeed the same icon.

Zero3K
5. When loading multiple sites as tabs, the favicons of the other sites being loaded are showing in the URL Bar when the first created tab is being viewed until all of the other sites are loaded. Then the favicon used by the site being viewed is shown.

Will be fixed.

Posted by: adXok
Date: August 20, 2014 08:18PM

Hi, Dorian

Oh, the cookies... You are absolutely right!
Thanks! smiling smiley
Now Youtube comments are working fine! (I'm dumb).

Well... seems like the problem with Cyrillic strings in the domain name have been solved, strangely enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 08:29PM by adXok.

Date: August 20, 2014 08:59PM

Dorian
Zero3K
Here's a screenshot of the "Icons in the Open/Save As dialog box being randomly changed to blank ones" issue:

Looks like a windows issue. If there was a leak you would get more important problems than that. Though you can still check how many gdi object kmeleon is using with the task manager.

Well, I'm also experiencing images of certain tabs not showing up every so often and going to the URL of one that is missing tells me that it can't be displayed because it contains errors. Along with random tabs getting stuck and needing to be refreshed in order to have them show the contents again. Regarding the switching over to the Firefox Bookmarks Manager, I agree with that being done.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 09:03PM by Zero3K.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 20, 2014 09:58PM

just a little new feature wish :cool: In a few special cases it would be nice to have a CSS Blocker in the privacy menu if possible, similar like those for cookies or scripts, and perhaps objects and DOM.
Currently I only have a css-file-toggle after loading, on a privbar button, using it happily and often. For example it works wonders to reveal hidden stuff without needing to load tons of scripts first (possibly dangerous ones, or just overloaded slow ones). Got it from an old macro -was it styles.kmm?- which for toggling just needs a tiny bit of JS. Killing css also greatly speeds up scrolling down overloaded pages without coffee breaks.
But for slow connections or expensive ones in holidays it would probably be handy to block long css-files from downloading in the first place, which I guess can't be done by a macro, or definitely not by myself.

BTW the old kill/restore toggle also works nicely as bookmarklet:
javascript: (function(){var i, dss=document.styleSheets; if (dss[0].disabled) {for(i=0;dss[i];++i)dss[i].disabled=false;} else {for(i=0;dss[i];++i) dss[i].disabled=true};})();

Or as macro on a privbar button (the "colors" button could be abused for it)
KillCSS_toggle{
macroinfo="Kill/Restore CSS StyleSheets";
$JS_doit = "(function(){var i, dss=document.styleSheets; if (dss[0].disabled) {for(i=0;dss[i];++i)dss[i].disabled=false;} else {for(i=0;dss[i];++i) dss[i].disabled=true};})();";
&JS_hndlDoc;&_pref_SyncButtons;
}

Date: August 20, 2014 10:12PM

As it's been said that Add-ons are working (I haven't tested them because I know I will screw K-meleon installation) there is a complete extension for Firefox that you (or any capable) can try to adapt, Siria.

The extension is QuickJava, even its name, has all the capabilities of privacy in K-meleon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/quickjava/

What I didn't check so far is if it actually blocks the download of external src CSS.

Mmmm, HTTPFox says it doesn't sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 10:15PM by JohnHell.

Date: August 21, 2014 12:32AM

Zero3K
Dorian
Zero3K

Well, I'm also experiencing images of certain tabs not showing up every so often and going to the URL of one that is missing tells me that it can't be displayed because it contains errors. Along with random tabs getting stuck and needing to be refreshed in order to have them show the contents again. Regarding the switching over to the Firefox Bookmarks Manager, I agree with that being done.

I'm using GDIView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/gdi_handles.html) to view all of the GDI Objects associated to K-Meleon. I've been noticing a bunch of Font Objects that are named with random characters instead of being a font that is actually installed on the system. I'm not sure if that is a bug or not.

Date: August 21, 2014 02:07AM

JohnHell
As it's been said that Add-ons are working (I haven't tested them because I know I will screw K-meleon installation) there is a complete extension for Firefox that you (or any capable) can try to adapt, Siria.

The extension is QuickJava, even its name, has all the capabilities of privacy in K-meleon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/quickjava/

What I didn't check so far is if it actually blocks the download of external src CSS.

Mmmm, HTTPFox says it doesn't sad smiley

addons do work in K_meleon now. However you need to create a mscro for some of the addons to eork,

The addons some adoosn worki without a macor if goto about:addons and click options on the extrnsion their.

Date: August 21, 2014 08:23AM

Ha, but that thing looks exactly like our KM privbar, just with other icons, but also with the handy right-click options! grinning smiley
Will try it in the future when my machine breaks down and forced to use a modern puter which can run 74 :cool: (just not expecting dorian to still be around so actively as now, so no chance then for new system features).
But in general I'm already very happy with our own privbar, also with its readable buttons, also the easy macro system behind, just occasionally a function or two are missing... Just a pity it was always hidden by default in new installs, so new users kept overlooking it.

Date: August 21, 2014 09:00AM

siria
Ha, but that thing looks exactly like our KM privbar, just with other icons, but also with the handy right-click options! grinning smiley

Will try it in the future when my machine breaks down and forced to use a modern puter which can run 74 :cool:

It is a Priv Bar with some additional (Silverlight, Stylesheets and Proxy )

minus some items.

Maybe add its JS code to a macro and change and add old toggle macros.

p.s. Maybe 74 for legacy OS comes before the breakdown of Your PC.
Maybe You find time to test. Who knows but God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 09:01AM by guenter.

Date: August 21, 2014 06:01PM

If legacy support comes, it will be for win2000, can't really imagine it for 98. The number of surviving systems is dropping more and more towards zero, so hardly worth all the work.

Unfortunately copying some js-code into a macro can only manipulate a page *after* it has finished loading fully. From my (limited) understanding the pre-load blocks for JS etc. have always been built into the engine itself. Perhaps there are ways, but am not aware of any, only developers can tell.

Date: August 22, 2014 03:57PM

Update 2 to RC

Some minor changes, fixed external links when opening in background, favicon resizing, mouse button in accel and onclick event, adjusted maximize when no title bar, de locale updated.

Sometimes it crashs when closing the preference windows, this will be fixed with a new xul.dll

Zero3K
I'm using GDIView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/gdi_handles.html) to view all of the GDI Objects associated to K-Meleon. I've been noticing a bunch of Font Objects that are named with random characters instead of being a font that is actually installed on the system. I'm not sure if that is a bug or not.

Try this instead

Date: August 22, 2014 04:01PM

Dorian
Update 2 to RC

Some minor changes, fixed external links when opening in background, favicon resizing, mouse button in accel and onclick event, adjusted maximize when no title bar, de locale updated.

Sometimes it crashs when closing the preference windows, this will be fixed with a new xul.dll

Zero3K

Try this instead

1. Thanks for the new update.
2. I tried that before using GDIView. It was using near 50% of my CPU which resulted in my PC becoming laggy.

Date: August 22, 2014 06:49PM

Dorian
Update 2 to RC

Zero3K

Try this instead

I yhkink thier should be an option in vuew toolbars for people who do not want to sees the "Tools button" who not want to see it on ther main bar.

Date: August 22, 2014 08:24PM

Update 2 is not respecting the pref:
kmeleon.general.startHome to false

Set by this option in preference window:

So ever loads Google at startup with both options :/

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 22, 2014 08:27PM

George Hall
I yhkink thier should be an option in vuew toolbars for people who do not want to sees the "Tools button" who not want to see it on ther main bar.

All they have to do is comment out the tools section in toolbars.cfg file. It would require a complete rewrite of the code to make individual buttons subject to the View menu.

Date: August 22, 2014 08:39PM

JohnHell

It seems to work fine for me. I can change between blank page and home page and about:home and update 2 shows correct page upon restart.

Date: August 22, 2014 09:07PM

JamesD
JohnHell

It seems to work fine for me. I can change between blank page and home page and about:home and update 2 shows correct page upon restart.

Are you sure. Before post I even tested with a new profile and ever goes to the url set in home page... at startup... At 2k and XP SP2.

No blank page at all if you select the marked option.

By the way, it delays. I mean that the URL bar and the window itself doesn't change until the page is loaded. Maybe that is confusing you.

Also I found now that reset the home page creates this malformed url as homepage:
esource:///locales/chrome://global/locale/intl.properties/readme.html

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 09:15PM by JohnHell.

Date: August 22, 2014 11:03PM

JohnHell
Are you sure. Before post I even tested with a new profile and ever goes to the url set in home page... at startup... At 2k and XP SP2.

By the way, it delays. I mean that the URL bar and the window itself doesn't change until the page is loaded. Maybe that is confusing you.

Also I found now that reset the home page creates this malformed url as homepage:

I switched between blank page and about:home. That worked so I made http://www.myway.com/ my home page and switched between blank page and myway.com. That worked. When I had the check mark for blank page I started with about:blank. When I had home page checked, I either got about:home or myway.com. I am on Win 7 (32 bit). Yes, you are correct the "default" home page is incorrect. There is a mis-match between where the system looks and where the file is located.

I have not noticed any delay. Maybe that means my computer is faster than I am.

Date: August 22, 2014 11:20PM

George Hall

All they have to do is comment out the tools section in toolbars.cfg file. It would require a complete rewrite of the code to make individual buttons subject to the View menu.

George, which skin has to tools button that you wished fixed? I have an idea.

Date: August 23, 2014 01:10AM

JamesD
JohnHell

I switched between blank page and about:home. That worked so I made http://www.myway.com/ my home page and switched between blank page and myway.com. That worked. When I had the check mark for blank page I started with about:blank. When I had home page checked, I either got about:home or myway.com. I am on Win 7 (32 bit).

¬_¬

I tried now on my Win7 virtual machine.

First I reused my installation: same behavior.

Second I made a clean install both ways:
a) extract RC exe install and apply update 1 and then update 2: same behavior.
b) use the installer and apply update 1 and then update 2: same behavior.

It happens in a clean install even in Windows 7.

After several tests, only way to work correctly is using the exe of update 1. So, now, if I want to use the update 2 exe, I have to set about:blank as my hompepage confused smiley

As a side note I also noticed (that's why posted above and as it is the method I use) that if you make a "custom install" as it is explained in "a)" letter K-meleon doesn't load the skin correctly. It does as corrupted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 01:12AM by JohnHell.

Date: August 23, 2014 01:33AM

A picture is worth a thousand words, they say.

I'm using in this Windows 7 video the b) option explained above. A "correct" install:
https://www.mediafire.com/?a8fa4ha38ddi2f5

First I deleted any Profile by deleting the profiles folder,

second I start K-meleon,

I change the preferences,

I reopen K-meleon to show the result.

Sorry if the video looks long. Try to record while running a virtual machine on a Pentium 4 2.8 and you'll understand...

Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.