Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: K-Meleon 74 Beta 4
Posted by: vincent
Date: June 09, 2014 01:25PM

Actually, the netscape bookmark plugin doesn't save the bookmark file at all under Win 7 Pro with service pack 1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 09, 2014 01:49PM

adodupan
naruman

However 'Extensions' tab doesn't show any thing And i get this .

I think the 'install.rdf' need to rewrite for km somehow.

Have you given up on this?

Why give up if he sees a chance. When we used 0.7/0.8 we were told that we cannot use any Firefox extensions. Later Monkeysage/Jordan Callicoat created a customized 0.8 version that had firefox extensions and I saw it...

During 1.x time we had the prototype of a Mozilla extension installer but did not use it in official versions because of security considerations.

For the current Mozilla extension installer IMHO we need to fake the correct application version. The red code in this extract from install.rdf means AFAIK Firefox and min, max version for which it works.

http://mozilla.zeniko.ch/fission.html plainly told me that the I do not have the right Firefox version to use the appliaction. But took my 74 as Firefox.

<targetApplication><!-- Firefox -->
			<RDFgrinning smileyescription>
				<id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</id>
				<minVersion>3.0</minVersion>
				<maxVersion>3.5.*</maxVersion>
			</RDFgrinning smileyescription>
		</targetApplication>

Both application and version must be right. Nothing else is supported. The extension installer code checks the values: target application and min, max version and prevents install or later the compatibility check performed after application updates says incompatible / deactivated.

There is however an extension that has a component that overrides these checks.

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/nightly-tester-tools/

Feature: Disable addon compatibility checking (since 2.5, see Developer Comments)

Maybe use that extension or part of it.

And additionally someone needs to find what prevents the download. Because we have to use Chrome or another browser to download the install XPIs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 03:10PM by guenter.

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: June 09, 2014 03:46PM

guenter
Zero3K
Zero3K
Another issue I've been noticing is that it starts lagging after having tabs containing Flash elements open for a while.

EDIT: I got it to crash because of mozalloc.dll by inputting a space as part of a url into the Address Bar and pressing enter. The ESR version of Mozilla Firefox tells me that the URL is invalid instead of crashing.

Is anyone able to replicate these two issues?

XP SP3 CPU Typ Mobile DualCore AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 2 GB RAM. No on the first. Except that my machine may overheat if too much flash is open and draining on resources during the summer.

For two we may need that invallid URL to test.

Try entering http://www. google.com into the Address Bar and pressing Enter.

EDIT: It actually occurs when something other than a valid URL is entered into it followed by pressing Enter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 03:50PM by Zero3K.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: June 09, 2014 04:02PM

Zero3K
Zero3K
Another issue I've been noticing is that it starts lagging after having tabs containing Flash elements open for a while.

EDIT: I got it to crash because of mozalloc.dll by inputting a space as part of a url into the Address Bar and pressing enter. The ESR version of Mozilla Firefox tells me that the URL is invalid instead of crashing.

No crash for me with quickly tab closing or space in url. In fact, I didn't get any crash since my latest fixes (except one because i've updated the graphic drivers while kmeleon was running).

Edit: keyword.enabled is true or false?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:03PM by Dorian.

Date: June 09, 2014 04:08PM

Dorian
Zero3K
Zero3K

No crash for me with quickly tab closing or space in url. In fact, I didn't get any crash since my latest fixes (except one because i've updated the graphic drivers while kmeleon was running).

keyword.enabled is false in my config.

EDIT: Using a new profile results in test being changed to www.test.com then it crashing after a few seconds. Also, the crash from quickly closing tabs still occurs. Here's the crash details for both of them:

Faulting application name: k-meleon.exe, version: 74.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x536204a3
Faulting module name: mozalloc.dll, version: 24.3.0.5148, time stamp: 0x53875905
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x00001168
Faulting process id: 0x11a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf83fd52169a1f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\mozalloc.dll
Report Id: 9a4e7cbe-eff0-11e3-b33d-6e9a6338a007

Faulting application name: k-meleon.exe, version: 74.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x536204a3
Faulting module name: k-meleon.exe, version: 74.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x536204a3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00011464
Faulting process id: 0x23b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf83fdcbad42a3
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe
Report Id: 0d67855e-eff1-11e3-b33d-6e9a6338a007

Faulting module name: k-meleon.exe, version: 74.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x536204a3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00011451
Faulting process id: 0xd28
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf83fd74efb49f
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe
Report Id: b439d896-eff0-11e3-b33d-6e9a6338a007

EDIT 2: For some reason, it won't load fully in Safe Mode w/ Networking enabled. It just hangs while using around 50% of the CPU.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 04:06AM by Zero3K.

Date: June 10, 2014 10:35AM

Zero3K

EDIT: It actually occurs when something other than a valid URL is entered into it followed by pressing Enter.

redirects me to https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=ud6WU9zgL6iF8Qeuq4CYDQ&gws_rd=ssl without crash. I am a useless tester.sad smiley

Date: June 10, 2014 04:03PM

guenter
Zero3K

redirects me to https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=ud6WU9zgL6iF8Qeuq4CYDQ&gws_rd=ssl without crash. I am a useless tester.sad smiley

Try typing a word into it and pressing Enter.

Posted by: naruman
Date: June 10, 2014 06:25PM

adodupan
Have you given up on this?

Not really , i just freeze it for now , till i have more time.

And instead i did add new feature to km to read all manifest files in extensions folder & add it to "extensions.manifest" at startup.

So edit "extensions.manifest" will not be needed & will not affect anything (it overwrite itself every time).
mozilla use a very Big shell of codes with a lot of conditions in some components & modules for security .

Then pass it to large module that dealing with the reading of xpi & extract its files and reading its manifest &.rdf & bootstrap line by line then register it to the system .

guenter

There is however an extension that has a component that overrides these checks.
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/nightly-tester-tools/
Feature: Disable addon compatibility checking (since 2.5, see Developer Comments)
Maybe use that extension or part of it.
And additionally someone needs to find what prevents the download. Because we have to use Chrome or another browser to download the install XPIs.

It's look good , i will see if we can use some of it's methods.

--

While i was testing km a few weeks ago , i found that km "id" is something like "@kmeleon" not the format of UUID '{ec8030f7.....}'.

And i also keep get some error related the "nsIXULRuntime" and running in Safe Mode.

Date: June 10, 2014 07:05PM

Zero3K

"type another word and press" was used by me.

Result: Invalid Address

The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded.

The provided address is not in a recognized format. Please check the location bar for mistakes and try again.

I did tell You I was a useless tester. Didn't I?tongue sticking out smiley

p.s. You have a setting in pref.js that helps it crash. Else I need a example URL.

Date: June 10, 2014 07:17PM

naruman

And instead i did add new feature to km to read all manifest files in extensions folder & add it to "extensions.manifest" at startup.

So edit "extensions.manifest" will not be needed & will not affect anything (it overwrite itself every time).
mozilla use a very Big shell of codes with a lot of conditions in some components & modules for security .

That is cool enough.

p.s. Remember when You implement all. Some people will expect that all Firefox addons will work for them. All GUI related stuf cannot run. Some crash the browser. They will install what cannot work and bug us about it. Or worse install something that crashes or does damages and blame K-Meleon and not their own lack of care.

Maybe do it as an addon that can be installed. Name XUL/Addon tester.

Else issue a warning like the one before You enter about:config.
When people want to use it the they will be warned the first time they do.

Date: June 10, 2014 08:30PM

guenter
Zero3K

"type another word and press" was used by me.

Result: Invalid Address

The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded.

The provided address is not in a recognized format. Please check the location bar for mistakes and try again.

I did tell You I was a useless tester. Didn't I?tongue sticking out smiley

p.s. You have a setting in pref.js that helps it crash. Else I need a example URL.

Hmm, it seems to be crashing because of something being weird in the omni.ja that's stored in "C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\browser". I renamed it and it didn't crash when I typed in test and pressed Enter. Instead, I got an error page. You can get it to see if you can replicate the crash by going to http://d-h.st/Gol.

Posted by: jonaspm
Date: June 11, 2014 03:17AM

Guys, sorry if this is off-topic but i also speak spanish so if you need some translations i am pleased to do it smiling smiley

Date: June 11, 2014 04:52PM

jonaspm
Guys, sorry if this is off-topic but i also speak spanish so if you need some translations i am pleased to do it smiling smiley

Hola. No not off topic here.

If You Spanish need each others' mail address to coordniate, send me a notice.

I know there there are 4 in this Forum.

Greetings from Germany to Mexiko

Posted by: ななし
Date: June 12, 2014 07:37AM

It appears that I cannot no longer add search engines, the default engines have disappeared, and I cannot set the URL bar to autocomplete URLs.

Using Windows XP SP2, and I tried these issues with a new profile (on a flash drive) and a new install (in "~\Documents and Settings\Program Files\K-Meleon Beta 4").

Nitpicking related to visual appearances: perhaps the Bookmarks Bar could be the same height as the tab bar and URL bar? The Menu Bar also seems to be just one pixel taller than the URL and tab bars.

Perhaps the "Attach Tab/Window Buttons to the tab bar" preference could be disabled because it is useless when the tab bar is shown as a bar. (The (not set) option in the drop-down list for "Display tab bar:" also seems rather useless)

It would also be nice if the "Add Search Engine" window indicates clearly that an engine was added, perhaps by refreshing the Search Engines tab behind it.

And one final thing, it appears I cannot make my text size smaller here (size=large works, but size=small|x-small does not?)

open image in new tab
Date: June 12, 2014 01:47PM

I leeched the code from the image tab plugin:

added the following lines to main.kmm:

imagetab{
opentab($ImageURL);
}

changed the following in browser\defaults\settings\menus.cfg

ImageView{
#&View Image=ID_VIEW_IMAGE
&View Image=macros(imagetab)
}

Posted by: thomase13
Date: June 12, 2014 02:29PM

Thank you for replying, guenter!
I have installed K-M 74 beta 4 now and have a folder on my portable drive with all personal settings. I could not understand how the "profile manager" could help me, as I only have one profile, and there is no way to neatly package up your personal settings from there, but I found this page from the wiki helpful, though it may be slightly out of date (last edited in 2003 — I tried to edit it slightly, but it kept telling me to log in even though I already was logged in, so I couldn't.)

This is my list of problems which I found in K-M 74 Beta 3 that still remain in Beta 4 (in general order of importance.) Items striken through are fixed.
  1. The interior border is still missing. I know Leah and others were also complaining about this annoying issue a while back, so I finally got around to submitting a bug report to Bugzilla, which is here if anyone is interested in following it. I hope somewhere at Mozilla will take it seriously, but unfortunately, it seems like their main goal at the moment is to try and make an exact replica of Google Chrome, but with Gecko. When did they go wrong?!? :mad:
    Anyway, if anyone sees something wrong with my report that would make them not pay attention to it, do let me know, as I've never written one before, so I don't really know what I'm doing.
    (For example do you think they might ignore it because my report is for FF 28 when the latest is 29? I don't want to upgrade to 29 because it is a Google Chrome replica, and I actually use Firefox occasionally, but I would if they insist the latest version [or even beta] is used.)
  2. YouTube comments do not work. I have explained this in detail in this post. This time, YouTube comments actually crashed, giving me Error 500 after attempting to comment a number of times!
    I believe Dorian said that is issue is also present in Gecko 24.0 ESR, though I cannot check these things for myself, as I don't know how to install two Firefoxes at the same time. The commenting works for me on Firefox 28!
  3. I am still having a problem with the Web search button.
    I had used it to search with Google from the address bar in K-M 1.5.4, but now it will only search Wikipedia no matter what I change my settings to.

1. These Web search settings still cannot be changed from the Preferences dialog, but I have changed my settings through about:config once again, so the Web search button will work.
    2. NEW: When I press “Enter” after typing something not resembling a proper address, beta 3 took me to a search of the terms with the default engine. The new version tells me “Invalid Address: The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded.” This is the same behaviour that older versions before the “Awesome Bar” would exhibit.
    3. I get this same error page when I type in <http://www. google.com> (as Zero3k has described.)
  4. Unrecognized words in text fields are underlined in red, but you can't add words to the dictionary or get spelling suggestions.
  5. All favicons are quite dark, whether in the Address bar, tab bar, or Favorites
    menu. The only icon not subject to this strange phenomenon is the default K-Meleon icon, i.e., when no actual favicon is available.
    It is not a simple issue of color depth (e.g. only supporting 16 colors) as I compared the favicon on my personal Web site to the one displayed in K-Meleon, and it is far darker in K-M.
  6. In the context menu for selected text, I think that the "Open as URL" and "Web search" buttons should open these functions in a new tab, or you should at least be given the option to do so!
  7. I would like my current tab to stay in the foreground when I Ctrl-click to open a link in a new tab. There is an option which looks like it should do that, but the checkbox is greyed out!
    [Preferences > Browsing > Window Diversion > Open diverted windows in background]

This seems to work for me the way it is, although I don’t see how to change it.
  8. I don't know if the favorites bar plugin ever had favicon support like the one in IE (I'm guessing it didn't), but it would be nice if it did! (feature request)
  9. Left-clicking the History toolbar button does nothing. It should open your history!
    As JamesD pointed out, for the History button to work, toolbars.cfg for the Klassic skin should be changed to:
    (line 106 or nearby.)

%ifplugin macros
    History{
    macros(Places_History)|Histor&y
    View History.
    toolhot.bmp[12]
    toolcold.bmp[12]
    tooldead.bmp[12]
    }
    %endif

(If it hasn’t been already. I can’t check, as 74 beta 4 is released only in installer form so I cannot browse through the directories.)

NEWly Fixed in this version:
  • My Favorites menu comes straight down just like it used to! smiling smiley

NEW Problems!
  • When I installed this new version, the menu bar was disabled. I could enable it through preferences, but I think it should be enabled by default, as new users would most likely be confused and turned off by this, since they wouldn’t know that F2 can be pressed to change preferences.
  • I have tried to get the toolbars to work the way I like, and after a lot of messing around with dragging them around, locking and unlocking them, and restarting K-Meleon multiple times, I still have a misplaced divider which I cannot control:
I am wondering which file stores the configuration of toolbars, meaning not toolbars.cfg or menuicons.cfg, but a file storing the selection and placement of toolbars. It is troublesome to manually select and rearrange them in every new installation.
EDIT:
I have messed around some more with toolbars and gotten the divider line to go back where it should, but after restarting, it goes back to the left side next to the menu bar instead of the right by the throbber.

Thanks again for everyone's great work!
Good to see naruman here doing good work as well!
I wish I could be of more help, but I am just trying to avoid producing bug reports that are surreal.

P.S.
The stable version of Flash 14 is released. I know some here were eager to be on the cutting edge of Macromedia technology (mentioningnonames)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 04:20PM by thomase13.

Date: June 12, 2014 04:32PM

Dorian: I think that my issues can be fixed by upgrading the ESR that it uses to the latest version.

Date: June 12, 2014 05:29PM

thomase13
[*] YouTube comments do not work.

Just found the reason: third-party cookies are forbidden by default.

thomase13
[*] I am still having a problem with the Web search button.

For web search problem see my post in this thread

thomase13
[*] All favicons are quite dark, whether in the Address bar, tab bar, or Favorites
menu. The only icon not subject to this strange phenomenon is the default K-Meleon icon, i.e., when no actual favicon is available.

screenshot?

thomase13
[*] When I installed this new version, the menu bar was disabled. I could enable it through preferences, but I think it should be enabled by default, as new users would most likely be confused and turned off by this, since they wouldn’t know that F2 can be pressed to change preferences.

Or you can just click the tool button. This is similar to IE/Chrome.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 12, 2014 09:19PM

thomase13
I am wondering which file stores the configuration of toolbars, meaning not toolbars.cfg or menuicons.cfg, but a file storing the selection and placement of toolbars. It is troublesome to manually select and rearrange them in every new installation.
Those positions are stored in your profile in the file pref.js. Look for perfs with the name beginning with "kmeleon.toolband." I have written code to save and restore them. The thing is that I am away from home and do not have that code on my laptop. I will try to get it posted for you early next week.

netscape bookmark plugin bug
Date: June 13, 2014 12:36AM

Bug with the netscape bookmark plugin: middle-click and right-click on the bookmarks have no effect

Re: netscape bookmark plugin bug
Posted by: ななし
Date: June 13, 2014 05:58AM

@vincent Open Preferences and go to K-Meleon Plugins > Netscape Bookmarks. On the first tab there should be an area called "Open Netscape Bookmarks Using The
[↓] Mouse Button". Click on
[↓], choose Middle or Right, and configure teh radio buttons after choosing one.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: June 13, 2014 04:45PM

Dorian
Zero3K
Zero3K

same here. no crashes whatsoever with KM 74 beta 4 on a Dell Inspiron 620 desktop computer with Win7 SP1 64bit home premium edition, Intel HD Graphics 2000 (Sandy Bridge) - latest available graphics drivers installed, Intel i5 quad core CPU and recently using stable Flash Player 14. and no K-meleon "add-ons" (or FF extensions) installed.

hope KM 74 goes final before year 2014 ends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 04:46PM by 4td8s.

Date: June 13, 2014 05:37PM

Zero3K
Dorian: I think that my issues can be fixed by upgrading the ESR that it uses to the latest version.

If you think so ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 05:37PM by Dorian.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 13, 2014 07:06PM

Another issue with type as you find: when in a drop-down menu, using a key to quick "scroll" to the desired element, starts a search in the web page, so you can't use another key to jump to another element, as it is already searching in the page.

In previous versions [to KM74, I mean], this didn't happen.

Re: netscape bookmark plugin bug
Posted by: Vincent
Date: June 13, 2014 08:28PM

ななし
@vincent Open Preferences and go to K-Meleon Plugins > Netscape Bookmarks. On the first tab there should be an area called "Open Netscape Bookmarks Using The
[↓] Mouse Button". Click on
[↓], choose Middle or Right, and configure teh radio buttons after choosing one.

Sorry, that doesn't work for me
The bug exists for the bookmark button, not the menu item.

Thanks

Posted by: thomase13
Date: June 13, 2014 08:43PM

Dorian
thomase13
  • YouTube comments do not work.

Just found the reason: third-party cookies are forbidden by default.

Is there a simple option for me to change this myself, or should I just wait for it to be changed in the next release?

Dorian
thomase13
  • I am still having a problem with the Web search button.

For web search problem see my post in this thread

Thanks, but the whole issue sounds a bit to complicated for me to wrap my little head around.
My only remaining issues are that
  1. The Address bar no longer has "Awesome Bar" functionality of automatically searching anything that is not a URL. This is really not a big issue because the Web search button works fine!
  2. Search engines cannot be selected from the Preferences dialog, as it doesn't do anything. I have changed them from about:config, so not a problem for me personally, but this is more important issue IMHO. I can just wait for this to be fixed in a future release.
Dorian
thomase13
  • All favicons are quite dark, whether in the Address bar, tab bar, or Favorites

screenshot?

I have explained this with a screenshot in this post.

EDIT:
If that is not clear enough, compare the default K-Meleon Mozzie icon to the favicon on DMOZ:

This is a direct comparison of exactly the same Web pages open (from my Links bar) in K-Meleon and Internet Explorer tabs. It is easier to tell the difference side-by-side, and strange how some are more affected than others (i.e. the Wikipedia one), and others don't show up at all and are replaced with the K-Meleon default! You should also see the stark difference of the favicons in the Address bar. I have found that monochrome favicons seem unaffected.

Since I had all of these tabs open with exactly the same pages, I thought I'd take the opportunity to compare memory usage:

One process of 454,172 kB for K-M versus seven processes of 698,976 kB for IE.
That's a pretty nice 244,804 kB (239 Mcool smiley difference for doing exactly the same thing!

Dorian
thomase13
  • When I installed this new version, the menu bar was disabled. I could enable it through preferences, but I think it should be enabled by default, as new users would most likely be confused and turned off by this, since they wouldn’t know that F2 can be pressed to change preferences.

Or you can just click the tool button. This is similar to IE/Chrome.

This is true. I use the Klassic theme, but I know the default has a tool button.
I suppose I'm just describing how I think a Web browser should look, but your idea is more in keeping with the look of the modarn browsers, so I guess the good thing is it would probably be more appealing to a wider audience?
I know most people seem to like shinier skins and such, and though I'm a Klassic fan, I am glad that we have switched our default from Phoenicity to AuraAlpha! So much nicer in my opinion!
As long as K-Meleon is always customizable, I suppose it doesn't matter too much what the defaults are, as everyone can change it to suit their own tastes and peculiar needs — which is why K-Meleon is always the Best!

JamesD
thomase13
Those positions are stored in your profile in the file pref.js. Look for perfs with the name beginning with "kmeleon.toolband." I have written code to save and restore them. The thing is that I am away from home and do not have that code on my laptop. I will try to get it posted for you early next week.

Thank you James!
I have found those preferences in prefs.js, but I assume it wouldn't be wise to copy over the entire prefs.js file for a new installation.

Dorian
Zero3K

If you think so ...

Dorian: would you recommend that everyone update to this version?

Thanks!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 04:11AM by thomase13.

Date: June 14, 2014 04:21AM

Dorian
Zero3K

If you think so ...

So far it hasn't crashed on me. The only issue I see so far is that the contents of a random tab don't show up/get replaced with another page and the graphics, etc. in a random tab don't show up every so often.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: June 14, 2014 02:48PM

Dorian
Zero3K

If you think so ...

The Pasword Manager is ths version does not have password autocomplete.

So you have to signin by entering user name and password everytime which defeats the purpose of strong passwords and having a password manager.

Date: June 14, 2014 02:50PM

ななし
It appears that I cannot no longer add search engines, the default engines have disappeared, and I cannot set the URL bar to autocomplete URLs.

Sat Jun 14 2014 16:47:23
Error: NS_ERROR_FAILURE: 'Failure' when calling method: [nsIBrowserSearchService::getEngines]
Source file: chrome://kmprefs/content/pref-webfind.xul
Line: 21

Service seems broken. Probably a chrome thing.

No good search.xml in browser defaults. It has very few items.

After I reinstalled with no improvement, I changed language to French and then to German. After "Finding Websites" -> tab "Search Engines" had started to work with one language it started to work for all.

The installer did not write a search.xml to ./browser/defaults/profile

But the one in the first profile has 17 kb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 07:22PM by guenter.

Date: June 14, 2014 03:50PM

Zero3K
Dorian
Zero3K

If you think so ...

So far it hasn't crashed on me. The only issue I see so far is that the contents of a random tab don't show up/get replaced with another page and the graphics, etc. in a random tab don't show up every so often.

Actually, it does crash but I can't see the reason why because it just closes randomly without any error being recorded in the Event Viewer.

Pages: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.