I had exactly the same problem as above with the search engines (reported in bugs forum). I found a bit of a fix by copying the search.xml from the main K-Melon folder into the documents and settings-K-Melon folder. Clearly in windows XP the program takes some of the settings from the 'documents and settings' rather than the program being self contained. I got back all the search engines but still cannot 'add' another one on the last tab of settings. Also, something is wrong with the 'change user agent' tab. It leads back to the acknowledgements page. Don't know if the two bugs are connected?
I use Windows XP and could not change my settings for the search engines in Preferences.
You can change these keys via about:config?
This is the only way I could get them to change.
I don't know what you mean by the user agent tab — I didn't see anything in Preferences, but I have changed mine with no problem by going to the Tools menu and User Agent.
Speaking of user agents, Outlook.com's K-Meleon user agent problem was really bothering me, as I hate to completely remove "K-Meleon/74.0" from the string, as I am a proud K-Meleon user and I want people to know it!
It would be a shame for all K-M users to be invisible Web surfers!
Fortunately, I have found a solution. Not completely ideal, but it works for Outlook.com.
I have changed my string to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:29.0
) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/29.0
Apparently they care about the Gecko version number but not the build date, as I haven't changed that.
I now use:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:25
) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/25
Apparently, Firefox 25 is high enough for both the latest Google and Hotmail interfaces. Just about everyone probably just ignores the K-Meleon part at the end, but hopefully some statistics people are knowing about the complexities of user agent strings.
The "pretending to be Firefox but not totally" idea is from here
In case you were wondering, the following strings do not work:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:29.0) Gecko/20140105 K-Meleon/74.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/29.0 K-Meleon/74.0
Works for Google, but not Hotmail:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.4) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.4 K-Meleon/74.0
If anyone was curious about why nearly all strings start with Mozilla 5.0, this
is the best explanation I've ever seen!
Mozilla/5.0 = Gecko (0.9 or 1)
I think it would be interesting if they changed it so that Mozilla 6.0 = Gecko 2.0, etc. If so, we'd be on Mozilla 33 by now! :)
I guess whichever way you do it it's kind of confusing - I can see why they just say Mozilla/5.0 = Gecko. Maintaining a separate version number for Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, and Gecko would be a bit silly, especially since Netscape no longer exists, and "Mozilla" ceased to have any meaning once Netscape 6.0 used "Mozilla 5.0", a.k.a. Gecko 0.9.
Anyway, I am just happy about finding this workaround that doesn't exclude the mention of K-M. If anyone finds a more elegant method of doing this, do let me know! :)
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 07:44PM by thomase13.