Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Enaitz leaves the project.
Posted by: Enaitz
Date: August 19, 2011 12:34PM

Good morning.

It's hard to do that, specially after being around here since 2005 and having been so deeply involved with K-Meleon, but I'm starting to think that this project is going nowhere because of the lack of skilled developers with enough free time to work on it. After battling with the 1.5.4 version, using it as my only browser for more than a year, a pair of weeks ago I installed Firefox just to take a look and I found that it's light years beyond K-Meleon, at least for my purposes.

With K-Meleon I'm having trouble trying to load properly a lot of webpages that are badly shown (i.e. eBay lacks almost all their informative icons and Youtube is always saying that "there was an error while loading the video"), and, well, I really can't stand it anymore, specially when Firefox offers (out of the box and without having to mod it) the goods of K-Meleon without the bad parts and with lots of extras. Just as an example, Firefox 6 is updated about once a month (and their updates are always full of great improvements) and goes for a 97% on Acid 3, latest K-Meleon official (which now is 17 months old) goes (if I remember well) for a 51%, which is IMHO a catastrophic result.

I know it's not fair to compare a small browser maintained by just one or two developers with little to no free time to a big browser with zillions of developers and beta testers pushing each other into a competition to see who is better at coding, but, really, this is not about justice, I use my browser to do banking, booking airplane tickets, and buying things on the Web, and I wanna be sure that I'm seeing the webpages properly and that I'm not missing something that may be important.

Anyway, I was not being of much help here. I had my days on 2006 when there were almost nobody here and I had to improve my limited skills to help on the developing of GRE updates, translating (thanks God we had Desga2 to do the main part of the job) and cleaning the spamm floods we had on the phorum from time to time (working hand to hand with Guenter), but really, we don't have many spamm lately and Desga2 is perfectly able to manage on his own any translation it may be needed to accomplish, so I don't think my work as a phorum admin would be missed.

I must thank everybody for the knowledge I have been taking from this phorum all over the years, and the lots of things I have learnt (technical skills and human values). I would like to thank specially Guenter and Desga2, they have always been helpful and friendly, I can't say enough good things of these two guys.

So, with deep sorry, I have to say goodbye, wishing the best for the future for all the friends I leave at this phorum (and to our green little lizard too).

PS: I'm soon deleting my now obsolete webpage about K-Meleon. I think the only thing that may still be useful to keep for the project could be this banner in spanish:

I've uploaded it to the Icons Buttons & Banners section of the wiki.

PS 2: I've removed the sheriff star out of my chest (by myself).

Enaitz Jar

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 07:08PM by Enaitz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Enaitz leaves the project.
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 19, 2011 09:30PM

Fare well, my friend.

I agree. The current, old HTML engine of 1.5.4 is a draw back.

Maybe try with 1.6 beta2?
You know. You can get most menus in es-ES if You copy the ./locales folder to 1.6.b2.

For me K-Meleon's better shell/menus and easier search engines settings, mouse gestures and so on still weigh more than this draw back. I hope that K-Meleon's core will be ported to newer engines.

& that You will perhaps return then.

Greetings from Hannover

guenter

p.s. If it does not cost money maybe leave Your site for remaining users and historical purpose?

As a memorial of the best es-ES browser of that time.

Jan has also done this for the private Dutch 0.8.2 K-Meleon version he did with Dorian & co.

p.p.s. I will reset Your Admin status to User status if my rights permit.
But I will mail for You 4 help and change it back if we get spammed like in 2005. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 09:57PM by guenter.

Posted by: adodupan
Date: August 20, 2011 03:20AM

Sorry. I had to censor some of Your post. guenter

It's ok. adodupan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 01:21PM by adodupan.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 20, 2011 03:28PM

Very sorry to hear that, Enaitz sad smiley
Although I haven't really seen much of you since I arrived here, but an official farewell is somehow so 'final', and in the past you were a great contributor it seems :-/

By the way desga isn't really around anymore either. His last post was 3-4 months ago, makes me wonder... Anyone know anything??

Date: August 21, 2011 07:52PM

adodupan
Sorry. I had to censor some of Your post. guenter

It's ok. adodupan

I only changed that - what was not for minors. We have younger ppl here at times, so...

The rest was ok as opinion - why did You change it?

greetings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 07:52PM by guenter.

Posted by: mhf
Date: August 22, 2011 11:51AM

Well Enaitz, I didn't know you but sorry to see you go as I'm still very happy with KM and it's in part thanks to you ... :cool:

Posted by: adodupan
Date: August 22, 2011 07:31PM

Guenter,
enaitz has been involved in this project, i don't know what enaitz had expected, but it is obvious that the self-created pressure. In life it is necessary to enjoy every moment. When you get involved in some project, the motive should be fun, and it is not illegal to enjoy in other projects.
On the contrary, it is desirable.
The human nature is constantly striving to be better. That's good. When the man is always reaching for something that is difficult to retrieve, at one point he must succeed. After all, this 21 century is the result of such a nature.
FF has become a superior browser. Enaitz was disappointed, but i'm happy. I am glad that a lot of smart heads gathered in one project. This is true power. It does not matter whether they compete or not, such fusion has only one possible result. Good for all.
On this forum there are a lot of wishes to adapt the ff extensions for km. This should be the direction for the developers. FF is popular, thanks to the large number of extensions. So.. it is easier to adjust km and enable ease of use ff extensions. Finally, km and ff are one family. Good stuff and a lot of smart heads, should not be ignored, should accept them.
Macrolanguage is the soul of km and km without it would certainly lose its identity. Also, km need new, modern and attractive, but the distinctive look.
Opinion that the km light years behind the ff, is definitely wrong. This project need just a small step, but a step in the right direction.
If this or a similar step can not happen soon, it does not matter. Happens sometimes.
I suggest:

[Inappropriate Content]

Enjoy!

Hey guenter, i'm just joking with you.. Please, pay your bill smiling smiley

Enaitz, i hope you find your happiness.

Forgive me for grammatical errors, i hope you can understand my message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 01:15PM by adodupan.

Posted by: panzer
Date: August 24, 2011 08:03AM

The T-shirt with a name Enaitz is as of now retired and will be placed for all to see in K-meleon's Hall of Fame.

Live long and prosper, Enaitz. And come back sometimes to visit us ...

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 16, 2011 01:18PM

Hi to everyone! smiling smiley

A lot of thanks to Enaitz for his work and help to the K-Meleon project during all this hard years. I'm sure that all contributors appreciated your contributions to this project along these years.

I also hope to release a new K-Meleon version at the end of the year, but I don't know if this can be similar in quality to Firefox or Chrome current versions. It's very difficult to develop without time and resources.

Enaitz remember that you are ever welcome to this project.

P.D.; Who corrected my bad english now? grinning smiley

For the forum people:
Sorry if I'm offline of the forum some time, I'm very busy currently in my job and in my personal life. No free time for K-Meleon for now.
If someone need something can located me in my mail.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 08:58PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 05, 2011 01:28PM

desga2
Hi to everyone! smiling smiley

A lot of thanks to Enaitz for his work and help to the K-Meleon project during all this hard years. I'm sure that all contributors appreciated your contributions to this project along these years.

I also hope to release a new K-Meleon version at the end of the year, but I don't know if this can be similar in quality to Firefox or Chrome current versions. It's very difficult to develop without time and resources.

Enaitz remember that you are ever welcome to this project.

P.D.; Who corrected my bad english now? grinning smiley

For the forum people:
Sorry if I'm offline of the forum some time, I'm very busy currently in my job and in my personal life. No free time for K-Meleon for now.
If someone need something can located me in my mail.

desga2,

Is there any advertising that you think could help? I ask as that biz is where I worked for many years here in the States, doing copy writing, among other things.

N

Posted by: jtbo
Date: November 27, 2011 04:32AM

It is always sad to see skilled people go, but it is also always true that every thing in life has it's time.

I'm just mere k-Meleon user, but I think this would be good place to post why I am K-Meleon user.

For me, every other browser seem to be Google Chrome copy, user interface are something I dislike very much, but with K-Meleon I find user interface being very good. Why K-Meleon then? There is no other, I have searched, I have tried, but all others have gone to this 'modern' fashion bandwagon with no buttons, no menus, everything you have to dig and most have no telling how page is loading, with K-Meleon there is at least bit of hint at statusbar.

Surely K-Meleon could use some more work, but I would like to rise one point here, would you like to develop yet another browser for masses or would you like to develop browser for power users, the original geeks that don't care eye candy, but more of efficiency?
As far as I know, K-Meleon's points are efficiency and speed at the moment.

What I as user would like to see is that at least one browser would be aimed for not easiest to use, but most efficient where less mouse movement and less clicks achieve functions that in other browsers need more digging because their 'easy to use when more stuff is hidden' approach.

It is of course then up to what developers like to make that what K-meleon will become, but I think that there might be good slice of developers out there that might like from project that has bit different goals than most, but this is just my view, which is not absolute truth, it can be even wrong view, but it is how one of your users thinks.

I am currently mainly using FF3.6 (sadly so, but maybe I can get moved to K-meleon fully), I will not upgrade to newer FF because their UI has gone what it is, I have lot of addons and monkey scripts to convert browser more usable and to control what is my web experience, most important to me are blocksite, greasemonkey, img like opera, extended statusbar, script block, flashblock, redirect cleaner, adblock plus and element hiding helper for adblock, those might give you idea about what I as user seek from browser.
Treelike tabs is my latest add on which makes life bit easier too.

At 1995 I was already advanced user and maybe because of that I find new directions that browsers and many software have taken bit 'stupid', I don't think that I'm completely alone, there really have to be many of us old users out there, so in that sense I think such direction of development might be worthwhile, but then I'm limited to my perspective. However now you at least have peek to my perspective and know that K-Meleon is someway best of all browsers for some users or at least for one user.

Thank you to Enaitz for being part of project and making sure by doing his share on this browser to browser to be be what it is today, also thanks to rest of developers for same, without generous people like you world would be much poorer place smiling smiley

Posted by: K-Meleon now
Date: December 02, 2011 01:33PM

Always sad when someone leaves any open source project but that's what happens.
As a K-Meleon fan and user I have to admit 1.5.4 didn't do the trick anymore, even facebook didn't work properly anymore. At that moment I switched to Iron (Safey Chrome browser). Everything worked but I wasn't happy at all, missing my K-Meleon. I searched and tried a lot of alternative browsers but none made me happy. Today I installed the 1.6 version and even it is beta it rocks like it always did. Every site works the way it should, also FB.

What I do notice is a very long time to release a new final version. 1.6 beta 1, 1.6 beta 2 and now 1.7 alpha was released and then I ask why? Why not work on 1.6 final, release it and go on to the 1.7 alpha version?
When you look now at the release dates and the activity on the forum you can see people lose their interest in the project. That should be very sad since you have gold in your hands but you just don't seem to realize it.

Just make sure K-Meleon keeps on devloping the way it should with a frequent update if the web asks for it. Don't make the mistake to get a heavy browser like what happened after FF 2.* K-Meleon is good but it just needs to stay current, that's it. Like before K-Meleon is again my primary browser and it feels good.
Take care Enaitz and thanks for what you did, without guys like you open source would die!

To the current developers I would like to say, keep on going the way you are and take my little advice with you to keep on growing!
Compliments to all! smiling smiley

Date: December 06, 2011 03:33PM

Enaitz asked to close this topic.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.