Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Mouseless browsing
Posted by: drummond
Date: December 12, 2009 10:22AM

Hello. I love this browser for its simplicity. And I love the fact that I can use the keyboard so easily to set my preferences. I prefer to work without a mouse, and I would like to find some way of browsing without it (it's a bit long-winded to keep hitting the Tab key). Opera has a nice feature (ctrl+ movement keys) although I don't like Opera, and Firefox has the Mouseless Browsing add-on which looks like it can't be added to K-Meleon; perhaps because it's rather slow and awkward. But it's undeniably useful. It would be great to incorporate something similar - or something very different - into K-Meleon. Of course I can use MouseKeys but it feels like admitting defeat.
Thanks.
Regards,
Drummond.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mouseless browsing
Posted by: desga2
Date: December 12, 2009 12:18PM

You can set accelerators/shortcuts, read the documentation about it.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 13, 2009 01:25PM

Thanks. The procedures you draw my attention to are a little over my head. But my unfamiliarity with direct commands is something I'd like to deal with, and I'm tempted to get to know how to use Lynx properly. I think this may turn out to be the most cooperative browser of all.
For now, I'm going to go back to Opera. I know I said I didn't like it - and I like the simple appearance of K-Meleon - but I can almost disable tabbed browsing in Opera. With K-Meleon I've noticed a cluster of something like tabs at the bottom of the screen, even if I chose the option of opening everything in a new window. That means the software seems to have inherited an unhelpful quality from Firefox. Firefox now will simply not allow me to disable tabbed browsing. I like one window, one page at a time and I know that's not an unusual preference. But thanks for letting me post these gripes.
Regards,
DB.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 13, 2009 03:12PM

?? Not sure I'm getting something wrong here, but what if you simply disable tabs completely in the settings, if that's the only prob...?

Date: December 13, 2009 04:45PM

I agree with siria, if your problem is you like browsing in windows without tabs, you can disable tab browsing in Preferences (F2) -> Browsing -> Tabbed Browsing -> uncheck the "Enable Tabbed Browsing" option and restart K-Meleon.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 14, 2009 09:47AM

Thanks. I think I did this, but I got the impression that windows remain open after I'd left them. What I mean is: at the bottom of the page on the taskbar/notification area, web pages seem to accumulate. This might be because I was following links, but it looked as if pages were staying open by default. I know K-Meleon offers to disable tabs where Firefox doesn't, but I felt I was being left with tabs by any other name. Pardon me for not knowing all the technical terms here.
Regards,
DB.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 14, 2009 10:42AM

Hm, But you said yourself that you've deliberately set to "open links in new windows". That means you don't want them to open in the same window, but have two,to sum them up!

Date: December 14, 2009 11:20AM

You must setting now all options to open "in the current tab".

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 14, 2009 11:26AM

drummond
What I mean is: at the bottom of the page on the taskbar/notification area, web pages seem to accumulate.

The default is that a link meant to open in a new window really opens in a new window. What you are seeing at the bottom of the screen are new windows. You can change that by using EDIT - PREFERENCES - BROWSING - WINDOW DIVERSION. For "Links meant to open in a new window" choose "Open in the current tab".

Date: December 14, 2009 02:41PM

Thank you all so much for bothering to reply to my gripes. I'm extremely fussy about these small details. I've followed exactly what you said and made the adjustments you recommend. I don't think I knew what 'window diversion' meant.

I'm going to try to stop complaining about K-Meleon now.

Thanks again.
drummond.

Date: December 14, 2009 02:44PM

Thanks. I was wilfully confusing windows with tabs.
Regards,
DB.

Date: December 14, 2009 02:45PM

Done it. Thanks.
Regards,
DB.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 14, 2009 06:50PM

Glad to help. I know everything is not readily appearent. I have been using KM for years and even write macro for it, and I still find new, to me, functions and settings all the time.

Date: December 14, 2009 07:24PM

You took the words right out of my mouth. Just moments before I found your post, I accidentally discovered the mouseless browsing (or something very close to it) that I felt was originally lacking. I hit a letter key by mistake and found it took me to a link containing that letter. I was quite impressed by Opera's combination of Ctrl+up/down keys, but I find using letters much more natural. I didn't quite understand the advice I got about assigning accelerators, because it uses terms that are a bit beyond my present experience - although I think it would be well worth learning. But I suspect the function I stumbled on is one simple example of this. Perhaps all browsers do this, but I haven't heard them boast of it, and I suspect it's one of K-Meleon's rather nice features.
All the best.
drummond.

Posted by: fly797
Date: July 16, 2022 08:52AM

drummond
Hello. I love this browser for its simplicity. And I love the fact that I can use the keyboard so easily to set my preferences. I prefer to work without a mouse, and I would like to find some way of browsing without it (it's a bit long-winded to keep hitting the Tab key). Opera has a nice feature (ctrl+ movement keys) although I don't like Opera, and Firefox has the Mouseless Browsing add-on which looks like it can't be added to K-Meleon; perhaps because it's rather slow and awkward. But it's undeniably useful. It would be great to incorporate something similar - or something very different - into K-Meleon. Of course I can use MouseKeys but it feels like admitting defeat.
Thanks.
Regards,
Drummond.
I have the same question, I need extensions just like Vimium or Vimium C in Firefox. KM can't install their xpi files. Would anybody help?

Thanks a lot.

Posted by: RJJIII
Date: July 18, 2022 03:45AM

fly797
drummond
Thanks.
Regards,
Drummond.
I have the same question, I need extensions just like Vimium or Vimium C in Firefox. KM can't install their xpi files. Would anybody help?

Thanks a lot.
You can alter the install.rdf within an xpi to force the extension to install on K-Meleon, but I don't think it will help with Vimium. Vimium looks like it overlays many small tooltips over the browser window/page. That interface would need to be completely rewritten for KM

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.