Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Why I'm sticky on 1.1.6? // It was: Middle click scrolling acceleration
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 22, 2008 06:03PM

Well, after use it enough, I request to increase the distance between the middle click (wheel click, as you wish winking smiley ) and the steps of mouse movements that activate the acceleration for scrolling the page.

On 1.1.x the acceleration, or just only the start of the scrolling, is activated about 5px from the click point, this means that you can middle click here, but the page doesn't scrolls until you move the mouse 5px up, 5px down, 5px left or 5px right. The next steps for the acceleration is the same. You need to move the mouse 5px up, 5px down, 5px left or 5px right to increase the scrolling speed to a new level.

This, on 1.5.1, happens just moving the mouse 1px so the speed of the scrolling becomes uncontrollable.

I request to improve/fix this.

At the moment, I don't post it as a bug, as I did previously because I don't consider this a mandatory bug (even when also the speed scroll is still slightly lower in 1.5.1 than 1.1.x winking smiley ).

If it is possible to fix it for the next version, great, if not, I'll post as a bug.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 03:43PM by JohnHell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Middle click scrolling acceleration
Date: November 30, 2008 10:26PM

I know, I know what I said but this is driving me crazy, I'm going to send as a bug right now.

I'll use 1.1.6 or 1.5.0 before it is fixed confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 10:26PM by JohnHell.

Date: March 24, 2009 03:43PM

Well, and I reuse this topic and change the subject to: Why I'm sticky on 1.1.6?

Look, I thought to post this a "couple" of times, but I feel a lot of embarrassment because really, it looks that I have something against Dorian, or maybe against the 1.5.2 version, or just against mouse usage, but, what makes me feel bad to post this is that it looks that I'm the only one that doesn't like how the mouse works from 1.5 versions.

Dorian, just a simple a question, can't be reused the source code from 1.1.6 of how the mouse works in the 1.5.x future versions?

I started this "fight" because the scrolling speed was... er... changed (I don't know why), then the acceleration failed, I don't know why, then, now, what makes me to abandon 1.5.2, indeed I only used it one week, is that between the middle click and the scrolling function starting to work, pass a time of about 500ms and f*** again the functionality of the mouse.

I'm not going to request AGAIN a new fix. My current request is just simple: Can you, Dorian, port the old mouse scrolling functionality (middle button), from 1.1.x versions to 1.5.x versions? Is it really that hard!? I really don't want more fixes, just, use the code that works, nothing else.

Why this RANT? simple, I REALLY want to switch to 1.5.x versions, but what I only found it's... desperation.

Thanks if it's made something, if not, thanks for read my rant.

And if this is offensive, sorry, I'm more embarrassed than what you think posting this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 03:45PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 24, 2009 08:06PM

maybe there's something in your settings prefs causing that problem? cause i too used to share your resentment with 1.5.x scroll speed but it has improved significantly with 1.5.2.. in pre 1.5.2 it was really slow and suffered this jerkiness but it seems to be fixed with 1.5.2 and though -and i agree with you- it's not as smooth and fast as in 1.1.x versions; yet the difference is hardly noticeable(atleast on my pc).

i uploaded 2 videos so you can compare if it's the same speed or slower and check if it's not a bad setting

scroll with 1.1.4:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-81bd0c39.html

scroll with 1.5.2:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-c835f2c7.html

test page: (lots to scroll)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush

hope this helps

Date: March 25, 2009 01:41AM

The problem right now is not the speed is the speed or the time of reaction, if you wish, between click and have the possibility to scroll.

With 1.1.6 (or 1.1.x) you click, the mouse pointer automatically changes and automatically starts to work.

With 1.5.x (1.5.2 indeed) you click, the mouse pointer it's unchanged x milliseconds and then, after that time, starts to to work the scrolling.

Why I'm complaining?, because it becomes from "the browser you control" to "the browser you must wait for", in this case, scroll.

Just do the test: move the mouse screen down, middle click, while you do, and just see what happens. It lags to start to scroll, in other words, it lags to start working the feature for the middle click. Oh, and sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't and it's not a faulty mouse, my mouse work so good, at least with 1.1.x, but not with 1.5.2.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 25, 2009 02:06AM

JhonHell
With 1.5.x (1.5.2 indeed) you click, the mouse pointer it's unchanged x milliseconds and then, after that time, starts to to work the scrolling.

I note this mouse freeze in 1.5.x versions but I think this is due to big changes for tabs implementation. I think this can be fixed in next version when the main code will be revised, for example next change to 1.6 versions with Gecko 1.9.1.

Are you tried if this problem still in some version with the new Gecko 1.9.x or some 1.6 UNOFFICIAL preview builds?
(Hao's CCF ME versions or Fred's SM2 versions.)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2009 02:07AM by desga2.

Date: March 25, 2009 02:44AM

No, I haven't tested 1.6, no, but I'm not requesting anything, is just a RANT, I'm not requesting a fix (oh god, another fix, no!) just use the code it works.

There is a maxim with computer: if it works, don't touch it.

Do you really think it is because tabs, sorry, I don't think so, even when I NEVER used tabs. The problem persists without tabs enabled? Come on... let's be serious...

Again, I'm not requesting a fix, there is nothing to be fixed, but corrected. I'm happy with 1.1.6: zero crashes, full stability, only plugins crash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2009 03:00AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 25, 2009 08:00PM

JohnHell
(...)
Again, I'm not requesting a fix, there is nothing to be fixed, but corrected. I'm happy with 1.1.6: zero crashes, full stability, only plugins crash.

Apply you the computer maxim, If you are "happy with 1.1.6", "if it works, don't touch it", What is your problem? Why are you so upset about this problem in 1.5.X? Why do you want desperately to corrected/solved or fix it?

"...only plugins crash" What plugins? When crash it? Are you reported it?

Sorry but I don't understand your attitude and your little cooperation to solve "your problems".
I think that we aren't magicians, we aren't any wand to solve the problems of the people.
We tried to help but you do not help us with your little cooperation.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 25, 2009 10:22PM

i think what desga meant by tabs implementation is the binary has changed and the code was rewritten in many aspects.. so it doesn't necessarily have to be related whether tabs are enabled or not.. the files are different, the exe is very different (remember 1.1.x used same binary for 9x and nt) and perhap.rs what code was used for the mouse scroll in 1.1.x can't be utilised the same way in 1.5.x.. dorian should know

Posted by: Dorian
Date: March 26, 2009 09:31AM

JohnHell
The problem right now is not the speed is the speed or the time of reaction, if you wish, between click and have the possibility to scroll.

I don't see any delay. Or maybe you need a slow computer.
Before in 1.1, mouse clicks were processed directly, and it was impossible to know what was clicked without a very bad hack which was creating various problems with gecko.

1.5 let gecko see the mouse clicks and process them afterwards. Which is why there could be a delay, but there isn't much I can't do about it except yelling at mozilla against their message processing (which is probably the slowest one in the world).

JohnHell

If everything was that easy ...

Date: March 26, 2009 03:27PM

To Dorian,

Ok, Mozilla the guilt again. So the problem comes from them.... How I hate new implementations, really, they suck. I had to "accept" the automatically feature of the zoom when you are viewing a single image (click it to zoom it in/out), now this, what will be next?

Sorry for this rant, Dorian, wasn't strictly for you, and less now you say Mozilla changed again something... :s

Oh, was funny that about I need a slow computer... maybe to stop feeling that lag? LOL. Awesome. I'll remove the dust from my 200Mhz and I'll start to use it winking smiley

desga2
JohnHell
(...)

Apply you the computer maxim, If you are "happy with 1.1.6", "if it works, don't touch it", What is your problem? Why are you so upset about this problem in 1.5.X? Why do you want desperately to corrected/solved or fix it?

Don't you care about performance? I do. That lag has an impact in my browsing. Is not important for you? For me it is.

In the other hand, why should I keep without updating it?. Ok, 1.1.6 (and its GRE) hasn't a critical bug. I never had problems on that, but, why should I keep without updating?

desga2
"...only plugins crash" What plugins? When crash it? Are you reported it?

What do I have to report? I already reported spellcheck crashes and they are accepted. Other thing I have to accept.

Flash, now is quite stable, but is not about k-meleon, should I report here at this forum? :-? Are you going to fix Adobe/Macromedia plugin? I didn't know. Next time I'll report here if you feel better.

desga2
Sorry but I don't understand your attitude and your little cooperation to solve "your problems".
I think that we aren't magicians, we aren't any wand to solve the problems of the people.
We tried to help but you do not help us with your little cooperation.

What kind of cooperation are you talking about? What have you requested I didn't answer to?

Posted by: Dorian
Date: March 26, 2009 04:04PM

JohnHell
Oh, was funny that about I need a slow computer... maybe to stop feeling that lag? LOL. Awesome. I'll remove the dust from my 200Mhz and I'll start to use it winking smiley

Sorry for the bad joke :p
You know, there are other lag issues in kmeleon, some make me want to ditch kmeleon too. If it was possible for me to fix them, I would have done it long ago..

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.