Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Can K-Meleon Do These Things?
Posted by: jessecarmack
Date: July 29, 2007 12:14AM

Hey,

I have to start by saying how much I am in love with K-Meleon. It was exactly what I was looking for. It has all the features I love, charish and require from Firefox coupled with unbriddled speed. It's definitely the fastest browser I've used; not to mention it's lightweight figure. I don't even have it installed! I'm looking to replace Firefox, and get it off my machine as soon as possible.

With that being said, there are some minor grieves I'd like to seddle, which are stopping that from happening. Though, they are relatively minor.

First, my biggest issue -- and this is really the only deal breaker. I used an extension in Firefox called SearchWords. This made it so in the address bar I was able to search many websites (which I chose) simply by using a prefix. For example, if I wanted to search for "banana cream pie" on Google, I would write "g banana cream pie." In that case I made "g" the shortcut for Google. As well I had IMDB as "im", Amazon as "ama", Wikipedia as "wiki", etc. This feature was the most valuable to me, as I used it all the time! Is there anything similar to this K? Anything that can get the same effect? I don't want to use a separate bar. I want my address bar to do all the work.

This next one is simple, but means a lot to me, and I think it can be resolved. Can I make it so when I middleclick a link it opens in a new BACKGROUND layer?

The following are really short, and they're just me being picky.

Can I combine the stop and reload buttons?

Can I permeantly hide the status bar? Every time I hide it, it only hides it for that layer. When I create a new layer, it's back again.

Can I change the image that is displayed (or completely hide the image all together) when I middle-click scroll?

Is there a spellchecking plug-in?

Can I make it so when I lock the toolbars the "pully things" disappear AND collapse. Right now when I lock, they just disappear but the empty space they once filled up is still there.

Is there an external app or ANYTHING to synchronize bookmarks between computers?

That's all I can think of right now, and I know it's a lot, but your help and patience is greatly appreciated, even if you answer just one of these. Thank you so much in advance.

-Jesse

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2007 03:30AM by jessecarmack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can K-Meleon Do These Things?
Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 29, 2007 07:05AM

jessecarmack
First, my biggest issue -- and this is really the only deal breaker. I used an extension in Firefox called SearchWords. This made it so in the address bar I was able to search many websites (which I chose) simply by using a prefix. For example, if I wanted to search for "banana cream pie" on Google, I would write "g banana cream pie."

Create a new bookmark.
Set "http://www.google.com/search?q=%s"; for the URL
Set "g" for the nick.

jessecarmack
This next one is simple, but means a lot to me, and I think it can be resolved. Can I make it so when I middleclick a link it opens in a new BACKGROUND layer?

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ#mouseaccels

jessecarmack
Can I permeantly hide the status bar? Every time I hide it, it only hides it for that layer. When I create a new layer, it's back again.

Look like a bug

jessecarmack
Is there a spellchecking plug-in?

No

jessecarmack
Can I make it so when I lock the toolbars the "pully things" disappear AND collapse. Right now when I lock, they just disappear but the empty space they once filled up is still there.

Bug fixed for next release.

Posted by: trocchi
Date: July 29, 2007 10:54AM

You're right jessecarmack, been trying to disable the status bar permanently for days now. I find the status bar totally useless & just takes up screen space

Posted by: jessecarmack
Date: July 30, 2007 03:10AM

Thank you so much, Dorian. K really does it all now. You solved my two biggest issues. Rock on.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.