Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Show the stored cache properly in an usable way
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: December 27, 2006 11:58AM

I sometimes like to take a look at the browser cache to extract some useful files (photos, swf files, etc). But it's some kind disgusting that this is AFAIK not possible with K-Meleon because it stores the cache in to a coded format with no extension on the files, so it's almost impossible to locate the one you're searching for.

Now that K-Meleon can handle almost any web page, the only reason for me to open IE is to do this "cache surfing".

Could it be possible to modify the way K-Meleon stores the cache to do it like IE does, or at least with the extension of the files stored?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Show the stored cache properly in an usable way
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: December 27, 2006 10:26PM

It's not a K-meleon feature, but a GRE feature, so it won't be possible to change it.

To do that, I use :

about:cache and then List cache entries from harddisk.

With F3, I search the things I want.

I agree it's not as easier than with IE, but it's the only way I know, and I refuse to use IE as I can do without it.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2006 10:27PM by JujuLand.

Date: December 27, 2006 10:46PM

I see, being a GRE feature it's impossible for us to touch it and make it last.

I already knew your method (I think that you told me about it long ago smiling smiley) but I prefer using IE todo it, it's really faster to find what I wanted and I don't hate Microsoft to that extreme (by now, but I may change my minf after seeing Windows Vista)

Date: December 27, 2006 10:46PM

This reminds that old joke about "It's a bug or a feature?"

Posted by: rmn
Date: December 28, 2006 03:46AM

Well, it's not impossible... someone with the knowledge can create a replacement for about:cache that is more useful, and then it can be shipped with K-Meleon (or even pushed upstream to Mozilla!). The problem is just how. :-)

There's one thing I don't really understand from what you said: you use IE to browse K-Meleon's cache? (If yes, what's the difference?)

Date: December 28, 2006 10:23AM

No, no, I've explained myself badly.

When I want to extract something from the cache I normally know from which page it is from. So if I want to extract an .swf file from let's say:

http://www.athletic-club.net/acc/home.asp?a=0&idi=1

I just close K-Meleon, open IE, and go there loading the page. Then I just have to take a look at the documents and settings folder. It may be possible to do that with K-Meleon by saving the full page to the hard disk. I haven't tried it but will do next time to see what happens.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.