Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Linux version?
Posted by: pieman
Date: August 11, 2006 05:30PM

Can you guys make a Linux version? That be awsome!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Linux version?
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 11, 2006 05:46PM

No. K-Meleon uses windows native widgets. You can run 0.9 under wine well.
K-Meleon 1.0 does at the moemnt not run well with wine.

Posted by: mark
Date: November 25, 2006 08:38AM

how bout someone make a port of k-meleon using gtk? gtk is fast and a port would be easier with gtk as the replacement gui. plus gtk is fast.

Posted by: Fred
Date: November 25, 2006 09:08AM

See my answer concerning my K-Meleon variation made
especially to use in Linux together with the Wine emulator
in the other thread here

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,43955

Fred

Posted by: passerby
Date: December 07, 2006 12:44AM

gtk fast?
i think gtk or something with gtk is what makes linux desktops slow like a turtle on old computers.
gtk on windows is even worse! its like runing a java app! sorry that might upset some people hehe . any ways you get the idea. maybe FLTK2 is better? iv read Dillo browser is going to use that in the future .

Date: December 07, 2006 10:48AM

I do not know which Linux windows system is slow & why. But making K-meleon faster on Linux seems to have been talked about before, to quote an ex-contributor to the K-Meleon project about possibilies to run it better from on nix:

@ http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,9602,9615#msg-9615

MonkeeSage
I'm just an end user myself, .... a few points of interest...

While K-Meleon is officially designed for and supported on only MS Winows 32 bit operating systems, unofficially it can most likely be run on *nix using the WinE abstraction layer (i.e., run with wineexec), as KaZaA, UltraEdit and other native windows MFC apps can be run under WinE with no real problems. Also, once winelib has full MFC support, most likely a *nix ELF binary can be produced by linking to winelib at compile-time. Both of these methods would be unofficial and unsupported, to say the least. There is also a cross-platform GUI toolkit called WxWindows that supports almost all of the MFC functions and has an almost identical syntax; someone more talented than I may one day port K-M to WxWindows, and then it would be able to be compiled from source on any OS that supports WxWin (which is currently like every 32 bit OS).

If i recall correctly, I have had a look at the windows version of mfcembed.exe made with WxWindows & runs as well as the real mfc application. AFAIK mfcemebed is the ancestor of k-meleon with version higher than 3 or so. This project sometimes uses emfembed for testing. There is an embed project for Linux also.

Posted by: suggestion
Date: July 31, 2008 05:07PM

what about using a Qt gui? or wxwidgets?

Date: July 31, 2008 08:24PM

Ich kenne eine GTKembed und eine Wxwidgets Version (AFAIK beide vergleichbar der mfcemded.exe) über die Trollkit version ist mir nix weiter bekannt; Aber da müsste jemand von neuem beginnen und wir haben sowieso nicht genug Devs und können froh sein, dass das K-Meleon Projekt noch lebt bzw. dass sich Dorian und kko und die Übersetzer - für das Projekt Zeit nehmen.

mfG von guenter bei net.htp-tel.de an "Vorschlag bei qsc.de" grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2008 08:25PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.