Devs and All: Persistent File Open and Save issues
Posted by: kmbr4711
Date: March 21, 2004 01:48AM

This is intended to attract votes and hopefully Developers' comments so please contribute. (Please correct me if I'm wrong in stating they're unaddressed but alas, I haven't been able to verify that something has effectively happened to KM there.)

(1) File/Save puts very little information into the target filename so I almost always have to change it very much. Consider just this forum - saving a page you're reading constantly gets you "read.php" as the file name. While this may be "standard" behavior (presetting the filename with just the source file name tail), this doesn't necessarily suggest it's the best way to do it.

(1.1) Consider how much information there is in a forum page URL, such as: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=4&i=3750&t=3750 (not this thread).
Why not use some of it to generate a more unique target file name?
I'd like to suggest introduction of an "alternate" file save method that would try to get as much information from the URL across to the file name, or at least some amounts. For the above thread KM might produce a file name like
kmeleon.sourceforge.net!forum!3750.html (not meaning to imply too many intricacies for starters, but including the base URL would help lots for one thing.)

(1.2) As you can see from my above example, I hate the way filetype is always preset with the source file extension, instead of the true nature of the content. A .phpX file is almost inevitably a HTML filetype so it should be stored as such.

(2) File/Open has a BIG problem with Windows' File Open dialog. Most apps will allow you to look for a file by typing something like, say, a*.htm* into the filename entry if you know your file is something in that range. When I do that in KM, the File Open dialog closes immediately, loading either nothing or any file I don't want.

I've described these issues as seen from a rather userish angle here but I guess so they should be, being (as I see it) usability issues (and not one of the least tedious, for me at least.) I feel it would help a _lot_ if they could be addressed and resolved in the near future.

Needless to say I like KM very much so that's why I'm writing to do something about those few things that really come across as unnecessary glitches.

$0.02 and thanks everybody,
Chris

qlJDjABbvLzyWNt
Posted by: horny
Date: June 23, 2008 03:19AM

v26FGq df8v7ydfv83f61fvr58fdz

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.