Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Plug-ins
Posted by: Jay
Date: December 24, 2001 02:57PM

I think perhaps one of the biggest obstacles I run into that keeps me from using either K-Meleon or Opera full time is difficulty in getting plug-ins to install and/or run properly. As far as performance, K-Meleon is a hands down winner over Opera or Netscape 4.x or 6.x, perhaps a bit faster than IE in my opinion except certain pages such as my financial institution, no matter how I set K-Meleon to be recognized will not accept K-Meleon browser as well. Now I can appreciate the benefit of Gecko and am leaving K-Meleon on my machine despite the couple of drawbacks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plug-ins
Posted by: Andres
Date: December 24, 2001 09:24PM

Which plugins do you have problems with? Out of the best-known plugins, only Real Player is a pain in the a..., others work quite satisfactorily. And installation is not such a problem after you have got some necessary basic points:

(1) try to make the plugin think that k-meleon is netscape;

(2) you may have to fake netscape.exe in your K-Meleon directory;

(3) some plugins install their files to directories like Program Files/Internet Explorer/Plugins or to your Netscape plugins directory. The plugin may actually get installed if you have those browsers: you just have to copy those files to K-Meleon/Plugins. Note that the names of K-Meleon/Netscape compatible plugin files start with np.... and have the extension *.dll (e.g. "npmod32.dll"). Sometimes you also have to copy a file named *.class or a zip file containing classes (e.g. "raclass.zip") which is in the same directory as the np*.dll file(s).

I have tested dozens of 3rd party plugins with K-Meleon and a real lot of them work just fine. I am planning to do some writing with exact instructions. When I'm ready, I'll let everybody know.

Posted by: Brian
Date: December 25, 2001 08:31AM

heh, it may seem simple to you, but to most users, having to copy seemingly random files around their hard drive is quite scary.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: December 25, 2001 09:54PM

Yeah, I remember what it was like... a few months ago. Maybe you should just put up a "plugins for newbies" info page?
One thing I like about K-M is that it provides some new learning experiences with a lot of incentive. On the other hand, a lot of folks aren't unemployed geniuses, but they deserve a great browser too.
As for Real Player, I wouldn't allow it in my doghouse, if I had one.
Seems to me the web is getting too full of these plastic playground toys anyhow. :]

Posted by: Andres
Date: December 26, 2001 05:59PM

Although I am not a K-Meleon developer, I am an admirer of it. As mentioned above, I am planning to complete some documentation with detailed test results and instructions about more plugins, and hopefully I am going to put those texts online somewhere soon. (I shall try to update that information as often as I can and therefore it would probably be good to upload it to my own webpage...) I hope these data will be of some help even though they reflect results only on Win98SE and only one configuration. I'll let you folks know when I am ready with that, and I'll also send all my results to K-Meleon developers.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 11, 2002 08:11PM

Yes Plug-ins are a big problem with K-Meleon at the moment,I have had no success
getting Windows Media Player,Real Player or any other Streaming Media Plug-in to work but that is the only isue that I would like to see resolved.It may be simple for a Computer expert to figure these things out but I don't have the time or knowledge so I forget about it and use K-Meleon just for plain browsing.I really like this Browser and I
am sure that in time they will fix the Plug-ins problem. If someone could give me a simple way to get either of the above mentioned Plug-ins to work I will be very happy.

Posted by: andres
Date: January 12, 2002 04:55PM

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.