Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
small cosmetic details
Posted by: WDF
Date: November 20, 2001 03:22PM

First of all, much kudos to all the people working on this project. It's damn good stuff.

A tiny request about certain cosmetic details: can we fix the scrollbar sizes? In every release (including 0.6) I've tried the right scrollbar and bottom scrollbar seem to appear at a preset size and doesn't follow Windows' preferences (I'm on Win 95). They are way too big.

Also: Is it possible to change the secure/not secure icon at the bottom righthand corner (the open/closed padlock) to one with transparency so it can adapt to Windows' color preferences?

I know the two items shouldn't rate much on the development priority scale but they would be nice. In lieu of code changes, is it possible to manually change either of the two above?

Thanks very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: small cosmetic details
Posted by: Jeff
Date: November 20, 2001 06:38PM

The scrollbar is handled by the mozilla chrome. If you want to play with the jar files in your chrome directory (they're really just .zip files renamed to .jar), you can probably change something in there to modify the scrollbar size.

I'm pretty sure the security icons could be transparent, I'll have a look at it sometime, but as you said, it's doesn't rate very high on my development list smiling smiley

-- Jeff

Posted by: po
Date: November 21, 2001 12:25AM

any way the padlock images could be replaced with a call to an external resource, like with the throbber? then people could use whatever they wanted. the open vs. closed padlock distinction as implemented now is pretty subtle... i used ResHacker to fix mine.

i'm going to play with the scrollbar stuff... bound to mess something up. =)

--- po

Date: November 21, 2001 03:08AM

good news (for me, anyway, being more pixel than code oriented):

i was able to make the scrollbar narrow by simply cropping the little up, down, left, and right arrow gifs in the above mentioned embed.jar file... there are three versions of each, 'hover', 'disabled' and normal. i changed them all to 9x9 instead of 11x11, with a more dramatic result than i was expecting. i like it.

viva.

--- po

Date: November 21, 2001 03:02PM

Thanks for the reply, Jeff!

Oy! Great going, po! -- I myself am of a like orientation (ie: pixel, not code). So this is great news! I'm fixing my copy right now, and will most likely be using the little lizard more often.
A truckload of thanks!

-- (w)

Date: November 21, 2001 03:05PM

... while we're on the little (possibly trivial) cosmetic details. I've just managed an AVI of the Mozilla throbber and am using it now. Looks neat. Anyone want it?

-- (w)

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 21, 2001 04:32PM

Send it to lele to post on the resource section.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/

Andrew

Posted by: DJ
Date: November 27, 2001 08:34AM

could someone like send the scrollbar thing to like resources so people who don't know how to do that could just use that file to make it that way

Date: November 27, 2001 08:49AM

well... it ain't quite that easy.

if you want the scrollbar to exactly match your windows settings, you hafta play around with the gif files a little bit... there are many possible scrollbar widths.

but maybe i'll send my current embed.jar file to lele... it has scrollbars about two-thirds the width of the defaults, and no background image. would that suit you (or anybody else, for that matter)?

--- po

Posted by: Jeff
Date: November 27, 2001 10:16AM

This really isn't an area I want to get involved with, so this is just a suggestion. If this were to become a popular practice (skinning the mozilla components inside of kmeleon), rather than distributing your entire .jar file, it would probably make more sense to create a quick script that would decompress the existing embed.jar, copy the modified files into it, and then zip it back up...

-- Jeff

Date: November 27, 2001 10:28AM

that sounds like good idea, considering the size of the embed.jar file... i suppose you were getting involved just up to, but short of, the point of volunteering? if anyone wants to do the scripting, i'll provide some files... otherwise, someone point me to a source of information on the subject, and i'll add it to my list of Things to Learn Today... grumble grumble...

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 27, 2001 04:54PM

you can probably hack nsis into doing this fairly easily (and probably with no programming required).

Date: November 27, 2001 08:24PM

that's kinda what i was picturing... thing is, i don't really LIKE installers... maybe they're less threatening from the other end... like shotguns or something. =)

and hey, i guess i'm already indebted to AOL/TW in some weird, indirect way just by virtue of using a gecko browser... strange world. i blame nullsoft.

in the meantime, maybe i'll post the files in a zip with path information... most people can probably handle using winzip to 'Add(and replace)'...

Date: November 27, 2001 09:28PM

Supposedly there was a Mozilla pref. that allowed you to use native scrollbars but I've had no luck finding it.

Andrew

Date: November 27, 2001 10:24PM

it's like a whole new mythology... or something.

holy grails... crusaders... wheeeee.

if you DO discover any such thing, don't keep it a secret, ya hear? =)

Date: November 27, 2001 11:03PM

Po,

Try this:

// gfx widgets
pref("nglayout.widget.mode", 2);
pref("nglayout.widget.gfxscrollbars", false);

I don't think it works but let me know if you notice any difference.

Andrew

Date: November 28, 2001 12:09AM

re:
pref("nglayout.widget.mode", 2);
pref("nglayout.widget.gfxscrollbars", false);

the first one doesn't seem to survive an open/close cycle in preferences... the second one is still there. in any case, no visible change in behavior. looks like it's The Hard Way or Nuthin' at this point.

viva.

Date: November 28, 2001 12:59AM

Po,

Stick them in a user.js file so they don't get zapped. They are coming from the all.js file.

Andrew

Date: November 28, 2001 03:38AM

seems to amount to the same thing either way... upon opening k-meleon and checking the prefs, the one is there, and the other isn't.

is pref("nglayout.widget.mode", 2); a default setting, maybe? i notice those usually don't bother sticking around (a space-saving measure? seems a little confusing to me... at least for de-bug purposes).

viva.

Date: November 28, 2001 03:54AM

answering my own question, after a little investigation:

yes, pref("nglayout.widget.mode", 2); is a default setting, and doesn't need to be specified. giving it a value of 1 or 0 caused it to show up in 'prefs'... and wiped out most widgets. for the record.

Date: November 28, 2001 05:38AM

Po,

Just heard back from a Moz developer. We can't disable the Moz scrollbars so unless we use your workaround, we're stuck.
sad smiley

Andrew

Date: November 28, 2001 06:06AM

so... back to the 'who wants to customize superpimp for k-meleon skins?' question... anyone? i'd have a lot of studyin' up to do before i was comfortable writing scripts for other people to modify their installations with.

--- po

Date: November 28, 2001 08:24AM

...so, in the meantime, if anyone wants to grab a modified copy of embed.jar, they can do so here for the moment:

http://www.photo.net/users/pobelly/embed.jar

do so at your own risk, not supported, etc...

the only thing it SHOULD change are the scrollbars - they will be less wide, and without the weird background texture. DO backup your own copy of embed.jar before overwriting... i hereby declare myself (and everyone else but you) not responsible for fixing anything that get wrong, so don't do anything that doesn't make sense to you.

i'll go read the nsis docs now.

--- po

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.