Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
How to get PDF, DOC etc to snap in
Posted by: Stuart
Date: June 10, 2001 02:31PM

Personally, I've never previously had much respect for browsers other than IE, and to a lesser extent Opera. But version .4 of the browser is very nice.

There are a few annoyances though. One is that when entering in a box like this, the | thing over laps the last letter a bit. Which is kinda icky.

Either way, I had a cool idea. Well, you know how IE can 'contain' programs like Adobe Acroabat or Word when reading files of that type? KMeleon could pickup these special documents, and then KMeleon could invisibly sideline the gecko engine, and use call the IEEngine, which can be loaded into other products. The IE engine will automatically uses the PDF plugin, and will show it within the KMeleon window. Clever, eh?

On leaving the page, KMeleon could unload the IE engine, and revert to the Gecko one, all invisibly to the user.

And of, course this feature would be optional.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to get PDF, DOC etc to snap in
Posted by: scratch
Date: June 11, 2001 03:05AM

Not necessary. There are Netscape versions of all of those plugins, and those are compatible with Gecko, and therefore should be compatible with K-Meleon. I've never tried it though. Also, with your method, K-Meleon wouldn't work on 98lite systems...

Posted by: John Styles
Date: June 11, 2001 09:26AM

What about spawning EXEs rather than running plug ins? How do you do this?

Posted by: Stuart
Date: June 12, 2001 08:21PM

"Not necessary. There are Netscape versions of all of those plugins, and those are compatible with Gecko, and therefore should be compatible with K-Meleon. I've never tried it though."

Yeah, but the ones for Microsoft Office stuff aren't nearly as good.

"Also, with your method, K-Meleon wouldn't work on 98lite systems..."

It's optional, not necessary.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.