Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Open new windows in tabbed mode
Posted by: Whistler DarkEye
Date: May 16, 2001 01:43PM

What about an option to open new windows in a tabbed mode? I found that rather usefull in galeon, why not adopt that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Open new windows in tabbed mode
Posted by: lomoian
Date: May 16, 2001 03:57PM

I absolutely second that. It is a MUCH neater way of organising multiple browsing sessions than having to wade through many running tasks. This is how Opera works (actually MDI, but same concept), and once you adapt to the new 'way' of browsing it is much faster. IE based GUI is far from optimal.......

ian

Posted by: Jeff
Date: May 16, 2001 05:24PM

If you like it so much, *you* write it. That's the idea behind open source. I personally hate the MDI interface/Tab interface, since it sucks up already precious screen space.

I'm not going to waste my time writing it, but I'll be more than happy to accept any code contributions that add this "feature"

-- Jeff

Posted by: Brian
Date: May 16, 2001 06:39PM

ditto, the people contributing to the code all hate MDI (tabbed windows), so unless someone that likes MDI starts contributing, there's little chance of it being added.

Posted by: scratch
Date: May 16, 2001 07:39PM

And if it does get added, make sure it's optional and doesn't use any additional memory if it's turned off.

Posted by: lomoian
Date: May 16, 2001 11:47PM

Does the tabbed window interface add more memory etc. than the resources of a whole new application window scratch? Surely less, not more resources are used as UI features are conserved only tabs are added, but with the same menu structure etc. Thats one of the reasons why Opera CAN run on a 486 with such a low memory footprint, no?

About screen estate, Opera in fullscreen allows easy switching between MDI windows using mouse gestures, with NO tabs or MDI stuff. Is that not the ideal?? Having no GUI interfering, the mouse gestures for navigation, and window switching without losing screen space. What is wrong with that????? Why is application per browsing session method better??? (Shame that fullscreen has a bug where vertical sliders sometimes disappear.) Will you be able to do that in K-meleon fullscreen??? Alt-Tab is still not the solution when you have other programs open.....

And I wish I COULD add to K-Meleon, its a VERY worth while project, but I can only program in Matlab!!!!! smiling smiley

Obviously we all want the 'ideal browser', it's just that 'ideality' is relative to each observer........ Through discussion we can at least achieve a pseudo-objectivity.

Posted by: scratch
Date: May 17, 2001 03:21AM

Maybe, I'm really not sure. Opera doesn't support as much, I'm sure that has something to do with it. But loading any kind of tab module would certainly take extra memory, and if I'm not using it and opening new windows anyway, that memory is being wasted.

Posted by: Jeff
Date: May 17, 2001 03:43AM

The amount of memory that a tabbed window module would us is almost negligible. On the other hand, the system resources saved by using such a module are also negligible. Each kmeleon window uses shared menus, toolbar bitmaps, etc...just like it would in "tabbed mode".

Fullscreen mode is not an issue, since it would function exactly the same using either method (after all, it's hiding the user interface, so it doesn't matter if the window buttons are on their own tab bar, or if they're on the taskbar)

If someone wants to code this, be my guest. I can assure the avid "separate window" fans that any "tabbed window" code will not affect performance, and will, of course, be optional.

-- Jeff

Posted by: Brian
Date: May 17, 2001 03:14PM

if you want to cycle through only browser windows, you can use F7 and Shift+F7 (in the default install). you can of course assign these keys to anything you want.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.