bookmark system
Posted by: J Pruitt
Date: December 30, 2000 08:33PM

I like kmeleon. I've been using it off and on since the first build came out, and I look forward to seeing it evolve in the near future. Having access to a galeon-like bloatless-Mozilla is great!

My only complaint is that it uses the IE bookmarking system. This assumes that you have IE installed in the first place! Maybe I'm a hardliner, but I always take the time to make sure that none of my Windows systems ever have IE installed (through measures such as 98 lite, etc.), with the exception of one (for what little web development I engage in).

It would be nice to have a working bookmark system in kmeleon without having IE installed at all. I dislike the **dependency** of having IE installed for all of kmeleon's features to work (in that case, why not just give up and use IE?...)

Just my $0.02

-Josh

RE: bookmark system
Posted by: brian
Date: January 02, 2001 09:18AM

agreed, i have always hated the IE bookmarking system, I thought the Netscape system was sexier.

Posted by: Xiadix
Date: January 03, 2001 04:57AM

I prefer IE's way better. That is one of the reasons I switched.

Xiadix

Posted by: Chris
Date: January 12, 2001 09:25PM

I use skipstone (an even more lightweight version of galeon basically) under linux and k-meleon under windows as much as I can, and I don't have IE installed on my system either, however I don't find it any problem at all to use k-meleon with the favourites folder without IE, and in fact prefer this way. I feel it is easier to edit by hand under windows, and easier to access under a range of browsers (some people would certainly like to have multiple browsers on their computer and sharing is easier under this system, I feel). So I think stick to the favourites folder, it works fine without IE and it's easily accessible/transferable to/from NS if necassary.

Chris

Posted by: Chris
Date: January 12, 2001 09:30PM

I use skipstone (an even more lightweight version of galeon basically) under linux and k-meleon under windows as much as I can, and I don't have IE installed on my system either, however I don't find it any problem at all to use k-meleon with the favourites folder without IE, and in fact prefer this way. I feel it is easier to edit by hand under windows, and easier to access under a range of browsers (some people would certainly like to have multiple browsers on their computer and sharing is easier under this system, I feel). So I think stick to the favourites folder, it works fine without IE and it's easily accessible/transferable to/from NS if necassary.

Chris

Posted by: Justin
Date: February 16, 2001 05:50AM

Well,

I've just been looking at K-Meleon as of tonight, and I like what I see.

People above have mentioned different opinions to what type of bookmark system to use. Personally I like the IE style since I've been using IE, and have all my favorites located there. It was a nice surprise to have them all in K-Meleon without me having to do anything.

Since there are many different opinions on this issue, it would just make since to make it to where many different browsers' favorites can work with K-Meleon.

It would be nice if K-Meleon supported atleast IE and Netscape/Mozilla favorites transparently(as an option in Edit->Preferences). If users would like more control of their favorites, or the current handling is not how someone would like it, K-Meleon could also have it's own way of handling favorites.

I really like the idea of the favorites working transparently with other browsers. This way it makes it just that much easier for Joe User to switch easily.

Posted by: Sebastian Späth
Date: February 17, 2001 08:59AM

Guys, all your problems are our problems! We want to be K-Meleon be as flexible as possible without being bloated, so here is what are we going to do:
K-Meleon includes a plugin system which is similar to the Winampw 2 plugins. The IE bookmarks are actually handled by that plugin and binaryC our coding god is working on an NS bookmark plugin as well. Once the plugin API stabilizes we expect you to right new handy plugin systems yourself!
So more to come here...

Posted by: Ola
Date: February 19, 2001 10:37PM

Very good thats what I am waiting for since I dont have any "My Favorits" and no IE on my system either.

Posted by: Quarkness
Date: March 04, 2001 05:08PM

Nobody is saying WHY they prefer one system over the other. I prefer netscape's. I've got all important bookmarks in folders in the personal toolbar. If you press the folder, you get a dropdown and you can click the bookmark.
You can do the same in IE (with the links folder) but the links don't open in the window you used to access the favourites but in a random(?) window. Another thing I hate is that is sorts the bookmarks in these folders, I want to use my own order!

Posted by: KINJIRU
Date: March 18, 2001 07:20AM

PLEASE GET RID OF THE I.E. WAY OF HANDLING
BOOKMARKS!! IT WASTES SPACE AND IS *FAR* FROM
EFFICIENT!

That's the ONLY thing that had me use Netscape over IE to this
day: The bookmarks. Netscape had it right by making 1 file with
*ALL* your bookmarks in it. Microsnot is so used to bloating
everything they make that even their method of saving bookmarks
and favorites is all boinked up to heck with stupidity. :<

Dr. B. KINJIRU