Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Suggestion for Status Bar Messages
Posted by: foliator
Date: February 28, 2015 06:02PM

I use some custom accelerators for changing privacy settings on the fly, such as Alt J for enable/disable Javascript. Whenever I use them, I always glance at the status bar to make sure I'm not toggling to the reverse of what I want. All works well, except for Flashblock, which tells me "Flashblock is enabled" or "Flashblock is disabled". This is confusing, because what I want to know is whether Flash itself is enabled/disabled. Maybe the wording could be changed.

Another suggestion for the status bar: Since I don't use the privacy bar, but would like to have the status of the privacy settings visible at all times, an option would be nice for keeping those messages on the status bar -- abbreviated, if need be. For example, JS (or even just J) could appear on the bar when enabled, and greyed out when disabled. Maybe C for cookies, F for Flash, A for animation, or whatever. That wouldn't take up a lot of space, and the feature could be switched off for users who don't like it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestion for Status Bar Messages
Posted by: siria
Date: February 28, 2015 07:12PM

Statusbar needs heavy programming, probably out of reach.

Why not just use a tinier privbar?
Images can be as tiny as you wish if painting them yourself :cool:

Or if buttons may be a little bigger, try a text-based bar without any images needed.
How: if your skin has a traditional toolbars.cfg, disable in the PrivBar section ALL bmp-lines with #, and shorten the button names to 1 character.
Example:

&Privacy Bar(46,11){

C{
macros(pref_ToggleCookies)|&Privacy
Block Cookies
# privhot.bmp[2]
# privcold.bmp[2]
}

Date: February 28, 2015 07:21PM

To customize the wording for flashblock you can do this:

Open main.kmm in the macros folder with notepad or a better editor.
Make a backup copy of this line and add some comment for later info.

statusbar(sub("%s",getpref(BOOL,$KM_Flashblock)?$on:$off,_("Flashblock %s")));

Then change it to this:
statusbar(sub("%s",getpref(BOOL,$KM_Flashblock)?$off:$on,_("Flash %s")));

Date: February 28, 2015 09:23PM

That worked, siria; thanks for a perfect solution! :cool: I left the original line in the file, but have commented it out. I had already tried looking in Flashblock.kmm, so I guess I was close, just not close enough.

Regarding the other suggestion, here's what I've just done:
I've added &Privacy to the main menu, so bringing up that list is quicker than going through Tools/Privacy. Also, since it's now a main menu item, I can pop up that list by pressing its accelerator, Alt P, even though I've hidden the main menu to free up vertical space. I'm using the AuraAlpha(Compact) skin, and have modified the compact menu to show the full main menu through the same gear button, but in cascading form. It now looks a lot like the Personal Menu extension for Firefox.

Onward and upward! grinning smiley

Date: February 28, 2015 10:05PM

I see you're quite skilled already grinning smiley

foliator
I've added &Privacy to the main menu, so bringing up that list is quicker than going through Tools/Privacy. Also, since it's now a main menu item, I can pop up that list by pressing its accelerator,

Neat idea - it doesn't really matter how long the main menu is, since the right part can always be covered by other buttons to save space, but shortcuts are still working! Like it, so have just added it myself grinning smiley
Will not be needing it much though, have the priv-menu added to the cookies-button on right-click, which works great too. But just in case, it's handy too, thanx!

Date: February 28, 2015 10:54PM

siria
I see you're quite skilled already grinning smiley

I'm an inveterate tweaker, and tend to do things like this to all the apps I install. My text editor, AkelPad, no longer looks anything like what came out of the box. grinning smiley That's why I eventually switched to Firefox for its flexibility after my frustration with IE. K-Meleon seems every bit as customizable as FF, but without having to use all those bloatware extensions.

siria
... it doesn't really matter how long the main menu is, since the right part can always be covered by other buttons to save space.

True, in fact the entire compact menu can be dispensed with if the main menu is left visible as a toolbar and simply narrowed down to the size of a button. This produces the same effect as my cascading menu idea, except that instead of a toolbar button, one only sees » . Of course, the compact menu button is paired with the history button, so if the latter is needed, the configuration toolbar can be left in place with the compact menu button commented out in toolbars.cfg.

Whew! Guess it's time I started browsing the web instead of playing around with the browser. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 10:55PM by foliator.

Date: March 01, 2015 12:00AM

Hehe, sounds like this is your browser grinning smiley
Same for me!

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 01, 2015 08:30AM

siria
have the priv-menu added to the cookies-button on right-click, which works great too.

Same here. smiling smiley

Date: March 02, 2015 07:32PM

Just another little gimmicky accelerator I've added to accel.cfg with respect to that main menu:

ALT M = rebarmenu(Compact Menu)

What that does is pop up the same cascaded main menu I described earlier, although it will appear on the screen wherever the mouse cursor is.

I suppose the same thing could be accomplished by adding the compact menu to the right-click context menu, although it would have to be made accessible in all contexts.

That's what I've done in AkelPad: Wherever I am and whatever I'm doing in that editor, right-clicking will show me all the commands in AkelPad's entire menu system in cascading form. I added so many commands there that I had to work out a menu structure for placing them in submenus according to their categories. It took me quite some time to learn the proper syntax and stop all the error messages and occasional crashes. :s

But then, my knowledge of programming is limited to DOS, HTML and CSS. With the purchase of my first Windows machine in 1993 all the skill I had acquired writing little programs in BASIC went out the window -- or, it went out with Windows. grinning smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 07:32PM by foliator.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.