Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Favorite - Bookmark Mass Move Improvement
Posted by: jopower
Date: February 26, 2015 07:05AM

I'm using K-Meleon 74 under Vista SP1, 1st time install. I have just imported my IE and FF favorites and bookmarks... all 1108 of them in 89 folders (and 194 subfolders). They all appeared in K-Meleon in an Imported Favorites folder. So far, so good. Now I'm moving them out of this folder into the main Bookmarks folder. I want to move all of them out at once. I have just found I can't use the common <SHIFT> key option to select a range of folders, as I can in IE and FF. I must move them one at a time (at least the subfolders move with the folders). Therefore I request K-Meleon improve by allowing the <SHIFT> option for moving mass Bookmarks and any other files to which it may apply in a similar manner. Thank you!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite - Bookmark Mass Move Improvement
Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 26, 2015 02:26PM

If you had IE Favorites, why would you need bookmarks? Just go to Edit - Preferences - K-Meleon Plugins - IE Favorites and check the box to enable.

Posted by: Jody Thornton
Date: May 05, 2015 08:26PM

I found using <Shift> in websites to make range selections (like multilple email messages) does not work either. I don't think this is actally a Favourties/Bookmarks issue, but a K-Meleon issue (or perhaps a keyboard mapping has been setup using <Shift> for another function perhaps?

Posted by: Jody Thornton
Date: May 06, 2015 12:39AM

Solved it in another thread - I think. I renamed the accel.cfg file in the "defaults" directory. It works now.

Date: May 12, 2015 03:46AM

Ummm, renamed to/from what? Please describe steps you used to make it work.

Date: May 12, 2015 04:03AM

JamesD
If you had IE Favorites, why would you need bookmarks? Just go to Edit - Preferences - K-Meleon Plugins - IE Favorites and check the box to enable.

And I did for both IE and FF (which were none at that time) before I came here... with the results that all IE imports ended up in an Imported Favorites folder under the Bookmarks menu (set by default ala FF) that will not allow multiple selects.

OH... I now see I have a Favorites menu to right of Bookmarks, so my IE faves have a separate menu. That's all good and thanks for making me look more carefully at my menus since I didn't see this. (All previous browsers import to one menu, so that's what I had expected.)

Hmmm, this brings up the point that KM has 2 different import options. One puts all in one menu, the other makes a separate menu. (And I may like having the other browsers' faves separated now that it's happened. We'll see...)

HOWEVER, this still does not resolve the inability to move more than one folder at a time, which is annoying.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 12, 2015 05:09AM

jopower
OH... I now see I have a Favorites menu to right of Bookmarks, so my IE faves have a separate menu. ... (All previous browsers import to one menu, so that's what I had expected.)

ATTENTION, that's a misunderstanding that could be fatal:
the IE "Favorites" are NOT imported into KM, when enabling the Favorites Plugin! Instead they are simply "shared" by showing the original Favorites folder. You can use them by both browsers at the same time. If you add one by IE, it will show up in KM too, also if you rename or delete one with KM, they will vanish in IE browser as well. This is just a folder with single little files, and the menu shows that folder - for KM it may take a bit until that menu gets refreshed though. Either by adding a new fav inside KM or by browser restart.
==> But if you use the (Netscape) BOOKMARKS function and explicitely click on "IMPORT" Favorites, THEN they are truly imported and copied into the bookmarks.html in the profile folder. Because "Bookmarks" is a whole different and separate plugin, completely independent whether you use the genuine "Favorites Plugin" too or not.

Tip: natively KM adds new IE-Favorites "silent", dumps them into the root folder or - if set by you in Options - the New-Items folder. To get a menu for renaming and choosing a folder while adding, an additional user Macro is necessary. Either my Favinia or James' FRA-combo (in extensions section of this forum)

If you click Favorites/EDIT your windows file explorer will popup and show that folder. There you can simply do mass actions like for any file on the computer, or search with several options.

As for accels.cfg - DON'T!
Disabling ALL general keyboard shortcuts will cause 10x more damage. Just open that file in notepad or another editor and look for the shortcuts for "SHIFT LButton". Disable only those 2 lines inside by adding a comment sign # at the beginning.
They actually are meant to affect how a single link is opened when clicking it together with Shift-key:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ#mouseaccels

Perhaps Dorian can (or has already?) separate those functions, no idea.
Check the newest KM version KM75_RC3 plus Update 1 (own thread in Announcements forum). If not, disabling those 2 lines yourself should work...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 05:27AM by siria.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 12, 2015 05:33AM

Just wondering if perhaps it would be better to have "Favorites" already enabled out of the box? Otherwise they are real hard to discover if one isn't already aware this function exists. But the danger is they assume that's just a copy and perhaps start deleting the "others"... So perhaps add a Confirmation box with info and warning when first enabling them? After fresh install and later each time when switching on the plugin?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.