Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
searching in bookmarks
Posted by: mhf
Date: October 09, 2011 05:24PM

I've done a search here about this and there are a few posts going from 2 or 3 years back to 8 years old.

I know you can just open bookmarks > edit and start typing but that only works once - I would really like a search window in the bookmarks editor... smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: searching in bookmarks
Posted by: Kleon
Date: October 09, 2011 10:47PM

I would also like a favicons editor, similar to the Firefox extension. One of my bookmarks lost its favicon, and in order to get it back I had to re-bookmark the page.

Posted by: mookbark
Date: October 10, 2011 03:20PM

mhf, as you type in the bookmarks editor you can see the word forming in the title bar, the backspace key works normally here. If you type "k-mel" it jumps to the first link with k-meleon in the title, you can then press F3 or TAB to move forward (but not backward as far as I know) through other links with k-mel in the title, or you can keep typing. No url search unfortunately.

This has nothing to do with editing but you can also bookmark the bookmarks.html in your profile folder (it's just a webpage), load it in the browser and use Find (Ctrl-F) to search by titles but not by url. Refresh the page after adding or editing bookmarks. This could be handy for browsing your bookmarks, with highlighting and all. No url search unfortunately.

You could also download NirSoft FavoritesView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/faview.html

Set it to open the K-Meleon bookmarks.html then create a menu or button macro to launch it. When launched you can click the binoculars icon to search through your bookmarks by title OR url (yes, url, tell your friends). You can sort the main listing by any criteria (title, url, dates, folder, etc.). You cannot edit or delete bookmarks but you can open them in the web browser. You can find duplicates, and more. It's probably worth having in the toolbox, someone should probably write an extension to launch it.

Date: October 10, 2011 09:13PM

mookbark
mhf, as you type in the bookmarks editor you can see the word forming in the title bar, the backspace key works normally here. If you type "k-mel" it jumps to the first link with k-meleon in the title, you can then press F3 or TAB to move forward (but not backward as far as I know) through other links with k-mel in the title, or you can keep typing. No url search unfortunately.

This has nothing to do with editing but you can also bookmark the bookmarks.html in your profile folder (it's just a webpage), load it in the browser and use Find (Ctrl-F) to search by titles but not by url. Refresh the page after adding or editing bookmarks. This could be handy for browsing your bookmarks, with highlighting and all. No url search unfortunately.

You could also download NirSoft FavoritesView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/faview.html

Set it to open the K-Meleon bookmarks.html then create a menu or button macro to launch it. When launched you can click the binoculars icon to search through your bookmarks by title OR url (yes, url, tell your friends). You can sort the main listing by any criteria (title, url, dates, folder, etc.). You cannot edit or delete bookmarks but you can open them in the web browser. You can find duplicates, and more. It's probably worth having in the toolbox, someone should probably write an extension to launch it.

Thanks mookbark, I'll try that.

Posted by: mookbark
Date: October 11, 2011 06:52AM

DIY macro for NirSoft faview.exe:

Click Edit > Configuration > Menus
to open menus.cfg for the current profile,
then paste the following three lines of code into it:

!&Bookmarks{
NirSoft Bookmarks=macros(NirSoftBook)|3
} 

Explanation:
"!&Bookmarks" adds an entry into the existing bookmarks menu (!=append).
"NirSoft Bookmarks" is the text as seen on the menu, it can be changed to anything you like.
"(NirSoftBook)" calls the macro by name, which is defined in the next step.
The "|3" at the end determines where the text fits into the menu based on index numbers counting up from zero, thus it's the fourth item down, just after Options in KM 1.5.x

Next open Notepad and paste the following three lines of code into it, then save it as "NirSoft.kmm" (or any other name) in K-Meleon \ Macros folder:

NirSoftBook{
exec("C:\\foldernamehere\\NirSoft\\faview.exe");
}

No other code is necessary for the macro to function. I keep a single .kmm file like this one for collecting all similar mini macros. When K-Meleon is restarted it should be loaded, although you could make sure it's enabled in the macro preferences if necessary. Note that this simple example can be copied and modified to add any external program to any menu.
Explanation: "NirSoftBook" names the macro and the path name after "exec" (execute) defines the location of the .exe on the hard drive.

Date: October 16, 2011 10:52AM

mookbark - thanks, that's cool.
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but I was away.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.