Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
bat file to turn on/off javascript
Posted by: froggy
Date: May 12, 2011 09:34PM

I would like to have a bat file to turn on/off javascript.
F2 > javascript > enable javascript

I would like to be able to enable or diasble using a single mouse click without haing to go into the preferences which takes 4 mouse clicks to change.

If I knew what file is changed by this, i could easily do a bat file, but I dont know where its changed.

Please help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bat file to turn on/off javascript
Posted by: siria
Date: May 12, 2011 09:44PM

Click View > Toolbars > Privacy Bar :cool:

That shows a button to switch on/off javascript, and buttons for some other related stuff. If you want more buttons or hide some buttons in that toolbar, use
Edit > Configuration > Toolbars

Or toggle JS with keyboard: F7

The JS toggle is also in menu Tools > Privacy, that takes 1 click less then via F2 ;-)

Can someone please make that the privbar is shown automatically after first install, like all other toolbars too, so that this gem is not constantly overlooked :cool:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 09:48PM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 13, 2011 09:06AM

IMHO all toolbars execpt the ones usually included in other browsers should be hidden by default!

Only a minority is using the privacy bar and it currently can delete passwords and such on one unfortunate click of a unwary new user.

p.s. You can easily add a custom toolbars configuration to Your private K-Meleon profiles nsetup by copy/paste the toolbars values from ./profiles/prefs.js (or default location of profile) to ./defaults/pref/skin.js. Just replace the standard entries and cut away the user_ in front of the new values.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 09:13AM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 13, 2011 01:34PM

siria
Click View > Toolbars > Privacy Bar :cool:

That shows a button to switch on/off javascript, and buttons for some other related stuff. If you want more buttons or hide some buttons in that toolbar, use
Edit > Configuration > Toolbars

Or toggle JS with keyboard: F7

The JS toggle is also in menu Tools > Privacy, that takes 1 click less then via F2 ;-)

Can someone please make that the privbar is shown automatically after first install, like all other toolbars too, so that this gem is not constantly overlooked :cool:

Can't say how to make it a default to show up, but FWIW, I use the privacy bar, but I also have disabled some of its components because I think they are too dangerous. Currently I only have the following enabled:

Java / JavaScript / Popups / Cache / History / URLBar

I handle passwords through Edit Preferences and I handle Cookies through the CookieCuller extension. The rest I don't (personally) need to play with while browsing.

N

Posted by: MXB
Date: May 22, 2011 11:29PM

Excellent. I just customized the privacy bar to what I use. A tad annoying is that you have to edit the file and add/remove the comment symbol. Lotsa typing for a lazy guy like me. smiling smiley

--
P2 400 MHz, 128 MB, Win 98 SE

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 23, 2011 04:06AM

MXB
Excellent. I just customized the privacy bar to what I use. A tad annoying is that you have to edit the file and add/remove the comment symbol. Lotsa typing for a lazy guy like me. smiling smiley

MXB,

Yup, lots of typing... which is why I keep a few different versions around, zipped up... when I want to make a change that I already know about, I just unzip the right one. IF not, sigh, back to typing!

N

Date: May 25, 2011 06:27PM

ndebord
MXB

MXB,

Yup, lots of typing... which is why I keep a few different versions around, zipped up... when I want to make a change that I already know about, I just unzip the right one. IF not, sigh, back to typing!

Good idea! I always forget to keep alt versions because I started out with 180 KB floppies so disk space being at a premium is ingrained in me! :-)

Not that I'm still not running out of disk space even with a 40 GB hard disk! B-/

--

Posted by: siria
Date: May 25, 2011 07:01PM

The alternative files that I want to keep a while (old versions, or original versions, macro experiments etc.) I just copy and rename, so that the ending is disabled. E.g. "toolbars.cfg" renamed to "toolbars_cfg_110525" or such. This way KM doesn't read them at startup and they can stay inside the same folder, side by side with the "active" files smiling smiley

Uhm, space probs are not quite unfamiliar to me either :cool: grinning smiley

Date: May 28, 2011 04:17PM

siria
The alternative files that I want to keep a while (old versions, or original versions, macro experiments etc.) I just copy and rename, so that the ending is disabled. E.g. "toolbars.cfg" renamed to "toolbars_cfg_110525" or such. This way KM doesn't read them at startup and they can stay inside the same folder, side by side with the "active" files smiling smiley

Uhm, space probs are not quite unfamiliar to me either :cool: grinning smiley

Yep, that trick is in fact what I use when I experiment to find out what "junk" files a program actually needs. In Opera for example I renamed the turbo directory in the cache to find out if it would recreate it; it did so I could erase the 20 odd megs of cached stuff that it nevers clears. If on the other hand it crashes . . . well then I hurry and restore the old file(s)/dir(s). :-)

--

Posted by: Yogi
Date: June 04, 2011 05:30PM

@ froggy

Just letting you know. You can also drag the PrivacyBar to the AddressBar saving some space:

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.