Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
email client for KM Why not Ultrafunk Popcorn?
Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 19, 2008 05:36PM

FWIW, one of the very best (IMO) small email clients went deadware and open source back in May. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to see if it could be used with KM in some fashion if someone would be interested in playing with the source code.

FYI

--------------------------------------------------
Ultrafunk Popcorn e-mail client source code readme
--------------------------------------------------

Release information
-------------------
Release date : 26-May-2008
Version : Popcorn 1.87
Target platforms : Windows 9X/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista
Build environment: Visual C++ 2005 Express or higher (any Win32 C++ compiler should do).
Win32 Core SDK headers and libs + OpenSSL SDK headers and libs are also
required to compile the application.
Author : www.ultrafunk.com
Support : Popcorn is no longer actively supported, updated or developed
User guide : Andrew Smith & Ultrafunk (no longer updated)

Archive content
---------------
\PopcornSource_ReadMe.txt - (this file)
\source\ - all source, resource and workspace files needed to build the app.
\help\ - all files needed to build the WinHelp user guide .chm file

License and usage restrictions
------------------------------
All parts of the source code and any executable built with it is not governed by
any form of licensing and/or restrictions with the following exceptions:

1.) No commercial products that resembles the original Popcorn mail client may
be created and/or sold using this source code -- any similar applications
released based on this source code must be made available as unlimited
freeware applications only!

2.) Please give proper credit to the original source code and application if
you use any major part of it.

3.) Ultrafunk is in no way responsible for any damage done using the source code
and/or application(s) built using them (and so on and so forth...).

That's it -- hopefully it might be of some use to someone somewhere...

Kind regards,

The Ultrafunk Team
www.ultrafunk.com

--------------------------------------------

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 03:19PM by ndebord.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: email client for KM Why not Popcorn? :drool:
Posted by: foobarly
Date: December 21, 2008 09:19PM

I strongly agree.

Popcorn has been my favorite light and portable mail client for a while. I would especially be pleased if any integration can make use of a current KM installation to show message HTML or attachment... :cool:

Date: December 22, 2008 02:56PM

foolbarly,

Yes, those are two important aspects of email: html and attachments. I would also like to see the popcorn.ini set up as a portable app, so you don't need a complete path statement there.

I use Popcorn right now in KM (along with Foxmail as my regular, full-featured email client). As I have T-Mobile, I can't get Usenet, so I load popcorn up on KM's usenet icon instead and let it sit in my system tray as an email notifier. Works for me.

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 02:58AM by ndebord.

Date: December 27, 2008 01:51AM

Another enthusiastic "Yea!" for Popcorn.

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Date: January 02, 2009 01:39PM

Well, it seems we're not getting much buzz for Popcorn?

:-)

N

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 02, 2009 06:28PM

I think that Popcorn is a good election for mail client.
I think that could made a Popcorn extension for K-Meleon.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 02, 2009 10:25PM

i actually tried working with it through macros/autoit but problem is, it doesn't work with external command paramters which is making things painful to execute from context menu(send image url>link etc).. it's a good client but needs some working on its code before integrating fully into km.

will need additional devs to work on it. i vote yes too

Posted by: ultrafunk
Date: January 03, 2009 11:57AM

Hi All,

I'm the author of the Popcorn mail client, and I'm posting here by request from ndebord (Nick) who told me about this forum thread via e-mail.

It's always good to hear about people who use (or used) Popcorn. I still do some work on it now and then since it has always been and continue to be my primary mail client every day.

Since Popcorn is now open source, you are free to do with it as you wish, but before you start doing any development work, I think it's a good idea for me to tell you a bit about the state of things.

Popcorn is now well over 10 years old, and it was started as a project for me to learn Windows/Win32 C and later (to a limited extent) C++ development, and its overall architecture has never been very well thought out in any way. This has begun to manifest itself more and more as time has passed, and it is one of many reasons that I have stopped doing any regular/supported development work on it. The program concept is still suprisingly usable, but it really needs a ground-up rewrite, at least in my own humble opinion.

Some of the key features missing that I have never started working on because of the aging architecture is:

* Multiple sockets (being able to send and receive at the same time, checking multiple accounts at the same time etc.)
* UNICODE charset support
* Language encoding for sent messages
* More than one instance of the mail editor at the same time
* and much more...

That said, replacing or enhancing functionality in Popcorn is relatively simple because of its loosely coupled modules implementation method, ie. each logical bit is isolated as a single (more or less standalone) C++ object wherever possible.

A few things I would like to answer/clarify from earlier in this thread:

Yes, those are two important aspects of email: html and attachments. I would also like to see the popcorn.ini set up as a portable app, so you don't need a complete path statement there.

Attachments: The latest release of Popcorn has built-in support for both sending (encoding) and receiving (decoding) attachments, it's not perfect by any standard, but it's reasonably functional.

HTML: Popcorn only supports showing HTML content as plain (tag-stripped) text, so there is much room for improvement here. I'm personally against showing HTML content in any mail-client, so this type of feature would never be implemented by me.

Portable: Popcorn fully supports being a portable app, with or without SSL support, even running from read-only media. All paths used in Popcorn are relative, so I'm not quite sure what you mean?

it doesn't work with external command paramters which is making things painful to execute from context menu(send image url>link etc)

Popcorn has limited support for working with external commands (cmd line parameters) and it also supports the mailto: protocol, but there is much room for improvement.

If you have any more questions or you need any more information, please let me know.

Kind regards,

ultrafunk

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 02:15PM by ultrafunk.

Date: January 06, 2009 03:17AM

Apprecaite your stopping by and for all the info on the potential and limitations of Popcorn. Time will tell if your very nice little email client can become a part of the K-Meleon community.

Much Thanks,

N

Date: January 09, 2009 07:12PM

Arual,

Hmmm. Any ideas on how best to use Popcorn with KM? I'm pretty sure now that if we run into difficulties we can ask the "expert" for assistence if we screw the pooch!

<VBG>

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2009 07:12PM by ndebord.

Date: January 10, 2009 01:03AM

Popcorn is good but need work over his sources to integrate it with K-Meleon. (command line parameters implementation is needed)
Someone tried this mail client: CrunzhMail?
Is very simple but is light size, have command line parameters and is OpenSource.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 01:10AM by desga2.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 10, 2009 04:59PM

When we say to integrate a mail pkg with KM, just what functions are required? Am I right to assume that it is more than what is available from the mail icon on the current toolbar? That now opens my Outlook Express.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 10, 2009 08:35PM

it's like seamonkey suite o r relation between ie and oe.. like sending images, forwarding whole pages via email etc.. i personally like using oe and prefer km as browser alone, but this may be useful with people who fdon't have an email client and looking for a browser+email program etc

Date: January 11, 2009 04:25AM

disrupted,

<<it's like seamonkey suite o r relation between ie and oe.. like sending images, forwarding whole pages via email etc.. i personally like using oe and prefer km as browser alone, but this may be useful with people who fdon't have an email client and looking for a browser+email program etc>>

Well said. I too like KM as a standalone browser, but over the years I've run into good programs that could be used with it. GUL is one that I've used for years now with KM and Popcorn too (as an email notifier on a hotkey in KM). When Popcorn went deadware and open source, I thought it worthwhile to mention it here as I know how much tinkering is done by KM enthusiasts and how others could find ways to enhance how Popcorn works with KM.

<g>

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2009 04:25AM by ndebord.

Date: January 11, 2009 05:40PM

As email notifier you can try with You've Got Mail.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: topor8
Date: January 23, 2011 10:37PM

desga2
As email notifier you can try with You've Got Mail.

I used Popcorn for some years and then found nPopUK, which offers several versions, including one with Unicode support. It's as small as Popcorn, as easy to use, and functions as both a mail checker and a modest mail client. I'm not a programmer and have no idea whether it could be integrated into K-Meleon, but I believe it's certainly worth a look.

http://npopuk.org.uk/2.14/

Date: January 30, 2011 02:16PM

Yes, it's, seem nPOPuk can be integrated with K-Meleon. To do it the feature required is that the mail client can be used from command line:
http://npopuk.org.uk/2.14/cmdline.htm

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.