Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Skins and missing toolbars.
Posted by: Raymond
Date: June 17, 2010 04:02AM

I'm a newbie and I love K-meleon.
I've tried many browsers over the years and I always come back to the little green pet!

I've recently been trying skins for the first time.
I'd like to make the program look as much like I.E.6 as possible - if for no other reason than that my boss and co-workers find that helpful since I.E.6 is what they're used to.
I found a couple of skins (Default Explorer and Exact something or other 5) which did nicely.
The only problem is that they don't have any buttons for mail.
This is a serious problem as we frequently send pages as links.
Does anyone know why some skins have more or fewer buttons than others and if there's a way for a simpleton to add mail buttons or toolbars to a skin?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skins and missing toolbars.
Posted by: siria
Date: June 17, 2010 07:12AM

Would be easy to add that button, but am in a hurry so just a quick tip:
Right-click on a page and "Send page as Link", or right-click on a link and "Send Link URL"!
There's a lot of additional functions on right-clicking things in KM, in a page, on a link, on selected text, on images, and there's even a special right-click menu on several buttons like "Home", "History", "Search", "Zoom", "Reload", "Back/Forward", and of course bookmarks etc. But it all depends on the skin author which functions he uses. But a user can always manually add more functions if he likes.

AFAIK the mail button really does nothing else than the normal mail button in the taskbar, it just starts the mail program. But I don't use it really, so not quite sure ;-)
Those skins you mentioned are a couple years old and were made for older versions of KM, so there are quite some functions missing. Although not all modern skins have all functions either, that depends on the author. By the way take a look at the privacy toolbar (View>Toolbars) in the default skin, that one is sadly omitted in quite a lot of skins.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 07:20AM by siria.

Posted by: Raymond
Date: June 17, 2010 03:41PM

Thanks for the tips.
I didn't know that K-meleon supported simply right clicking in the Web page area to send a link.

I'm surprised you don't use the mail buttons.
I use the send a link one all the time.

You're quite right about the default skin not having all the toolbar functions.
I installed the RMac skin and was surprised to find new functions on the main tool bar!
A ridiculous situation, I should think.

I hope you will find the time to tell me how to add appropriate buttons to the old, I.E.6-like skins.
I fooled around with it last night and got a modified version of such a skin to load, but the button icons were wrong and some were missing.
The modern scripts are rather different than the old ones so simply copying and pasting portions leads to unpredictable results.

Why, oh why, is K-meleon still stuck without a G.U.I. configuration procedure?!

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 17, 2010 05:23PM

As you have found, moving parts between skins is risky. Most skins have their button icons within a strip of icons saved as a single bmp file. The icons are numbered. If you use icons from a different skin, the number might have to be changed in order to match the icon's position within the bmp. Usually that is found in the file called toolbars.cfg which is a part of the skin. On my Klassic skin the mail icon is in the 14th position as seen from the part of toolbars.cfg.
%ifplugin macros

Mail/&News Buttons{

Mail{
	macros(Mail_ReadMail)|&Mail And News
	Read Mail. Right-click for more options.
	toolhot.bmp[13]
	toolcold.bmp[13]
	}

Can you tell if there is an icon for mail which is just not being displayed or if there is no icon at all for mail? Look at the bmp file(s) and look at the toolbars.cfg file for the skin. If there is code in toolbars.cfg for mail and that code has each line started with * then the lines are just commented out. Remove the * and save the file and restart KM.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 17, 2010 09:39PM

Many skins in a recent update. Feel free to ask for details.

Not all skins have all items. But You can add them easily.

Easiest is to add a button. Copy&paste code into toolbars.cfg. As suggested above.
And add a suitable bmp to the skin folder.

(You could in theory do installable buttons but that is much harder.)

Default size is 16 pix (no size info needed). Code in post above.

This is a code for a bar with 22 pix (red) buttons.
Individual buttons can be sized different (blue 20 pix info and where to place).

%ifplugin macros

Mail/&News Buttons(22,22){

Mail(20,20){
mailhot.bmp[0]
mailcold.bmp[0]
}
}
%endif

This used code is for a bmp that has mail at first position and two shading bmp.
Yes, they start to count at zero. You can use dedicated pics with skins.

The new Aura skins that come with 1.6 alpha have dedicated pics for mail buttons.
mailnewscold.bmp and mailnewshot.bmp. Extract from a skin that has them.
You can contact me if You cannot find or get hold of them.

The following is the 16 pix version of the code. The "#" hides an item.
I hid News. Else delete the lines that make a button.

%ifplugin macros

Mail/&News Buttons{

Mail{
mailnewshot.bmp[0]
mailnewscold.bmp[0]
}

# News{
# macros(Mail_ReadNews)
# Read News
# mailnewshot.bmp[1]
# mailnewscold.bmp[1]
# }

RSS{
macros(RSS)
Read RSS Feeds
mailnewshot.bmp[2]
mailnewscold.bmp[2]
}

}

%endif

Hope this helps a little.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 09:48PM by guenter.

Date: June 17, 2010 10:12PM

Yep grinning smiley
Thanks Guenter, must admit I'm somehow way too tired today to type much :-/
Just those individual button sizes, that doesn't seem to work, even if it's written in the default cfg... All buttons inside the same toolbar must have the same size, but jsnj can tell for sure ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 10:36AM by siria.

Date: June 18, 2010 10:36AM

Ah now I remember: The "raw" buttons will always have the same size, as defined after the toolbar name. Just the size of the icon image on it can vary, but the only effect is that either it has more transparent area around it (if the icon is smaller), or the image is cropped (if the icon is bigger). So not very much use...
Had found this last year when trying to get a narrow little arrow button integrated into the privbar, for flipping up a menu, but the new button was just as large as the others, despite the tiny image on it, just lots of transparency left and right ;-)

Raymond
You're quite right about the default skin not having all the toolbar functions.
I installed the RMac skin and was surprised to find new functions on the main tool bar!
A ridiculous situation, I should think.

Oops - no, there's a little misunderstanding. Actually I meant the *default* skins have usually more buttons, and the latest commands on them.
Take a look at this List:

--> http://two.xthost.info/kmeleon/lizard/commands.html

This is a list of the native commands in KM, along with some explanations and macro stuff. Quite a list, huh? All of those ID... and macros()-commands can have their own toolbar buttons, but would you really want them all in a default skin?? That would get way too large and confusing, so one must decide for a selection, one way or the other. Of course a skin author, as well as every single user, can still add more buttons, out of that list and out of the optional extensions they have installed. But rarely a skin author adds more buttons than in the default skin, most omit a few. The reason is that for every button they must also create an icon, which should match the "look" of the other buttons.

Raymond
I fooled around with it last night and got a modified version of such a skin to load, but the button icons were wrong and some were missing.
The modern scripts are rather different than the old ones so simply copying and pasting portions leads to unpredictable results.

No not really, in fact newer KM versions just offer *more* button commands, which didn't exist yet in older version, while the already existing commands keep their names (hardly any exceptions, and only in macros()-commands).
What's confusing you is just that the name and position of the images are completely free! So copying and pasting really works fine for the commands, you only must change the name and position of the image you want, and even this only if you copied over the image-bmp from another skin as the button lines in toolbars.cfg.
If you look into the skin folder, there are lots of .bmp images, most a series of several icons on them. Just choose an icon you like, then use the name of its .bmp and count the position of that specific icon, to type that into the toolbars.cfg

Mail{
mailnewshot.bmp[0]
mailnewscold.bmp[0]

}

- - - - - - -

One thing to know is that inside the same toolbar ("Mail And News" in this case) there must be the same number of image lines on each button. One can define just a single one, or two (hot/cold), or max 3 lines for slightly different icons:
image Hot = Active/Hovering mouse
image Cold = Normal state
image Dead = Function doesn't work

I really like the complete freedom of this, everyone can change what they like smiling smiley smiling smiley
For example this line
just means: A left click starts the function "macros(Mail_ReadMail)", found in the list above, and a right-click opens the menu "Mail And News". On my personal skin I've added lots of right-click menus that I liked and which aren't there by default, nearly on all buttons.
And this
is just that little tooltip that pops up after a moment when the mouse hovers over a button. I've changed quite a bit of those too smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 11:00AM by siria.

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 18, 2010 08:48PM

Default Klassic skin (similar to IE 6) have a Mail button, how guenter and siria explained above. You can found "Send Page As Link..." option also in Mail buttom right click menu. If you can change the default behaviour by this function you can modify toolbars.cfg file in Edit -> Configuration -> Toolbars, go to Mail button code:

Mail{
	toolhot.bmp[13]
	toolcold.bmp[13]
	}

And change the bold line:
	Mail{
	macros(Mail_SendPageURL)|&Mail And News
	Send Page As Link. Right-click for more options.
	toolhot.bmp[13]
	toolcold.bmp[13]
	}

You can read more about in Config files documentation and other Documentation.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 08:51PM by desga2.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 18, 2010 10:31PM

Make sure You always use the skin version that belongs to the K-Meleon version.

The codes used in the skins were developed also.
E.g. 1.5 skins are for K-Meleon 1.5.0 - 1.5.4 (plus 1.6).
That is why I posted the link to 150 or so skins updated to 1.5.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.