Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
K-MELEON NEEDS A FLASH COOKIE ERASER
Posted by: Guest
Date: September 05, 2009 06:09AM

Hi folks,
Flash cookies are really getting us down. No matter how many times we visit Adobe and tell their invasive snoop-device manager to NOT STORE FLASH COOKIES WHEN WE WATCH A VIDEO, the system still keeps storing flash cookies. We even changed the permissions on the directories to be READ ONLY, but the flash cookies are still appearing.

We've heard that C-Cleaner can block or remove flash cookies, but it would NOT recognize K-Meleon when we installed it and tried it.

Is there some way K-Meleon can install some add-on that will block flash cookies from being written to our hard drive?

If not, is there any hope that an update for K-M will one day have that capability?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-MELEON NEEDS A FLASH COOKIE ERASER
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 05, 2009 08:43AM

Flash cookies are AFAIK (checked on my system) stored in %apdata%/Macromedia/...

It is not K-Meleons job to clean the cookies of another app.
So my guess nothing is planed but only Dorian can decide.

CCleaner is an app that clean cookies of other apps
- set it to clean flash cookies there.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 05, 2009 11:02AM

Sometimes a FF extension can be altered to work in KM. I wonder if this one can? http://objection.mozdev.org/

Posted by: disrupted
Date: September 05, 2009 02:09PM

k-meleon or gecko browsers in general find the flash browser in 2 ways:
1- scanning the registry for the flash installation
2- checking the plugins folder for an swf plugin

method number 2 overrides method number 1

if a mozilla browser uses method number 2 to activate flash content, there will be no cookies and no settings saved regarding the site or flash content

in fact, you don't even need to 'install' flash player to have the browser work through method number 2, all you need is to extract the npswf32.dll from the flash installation binary and extract it into the browser's plugins folder... flash doesn't even know it's installed this way.

installing the flash player through the conventional methods is required for internet explorer but not for netscape=type browsers.

you can:
1= copy the npswf32.dll (normally in c:\windows\systems32\macromedia\flash) to k-meleon\plugins folder

2- if you want, after step 1l you can completely uninstall flash player (this will cripple flash content in internet explorer only)

3- check the km extensions page for 'flash switcher' and use it to toggle between flash versions.

following these steps, you will no longer have to worry about any flash cookies.

alternatively a very simple autoit script can remove all the cookies following günter's suggestion, finding the userdata\macromed folder and deleting subfolders there which normally contain all the cookies

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 06, 2009 02:39PM

disrupted,

<<2- checking the plugins folder for an swf plugin>>

Ever since you posted this solution to Flash, I've been using it along with Flashblock and that is a better solution than my previous choice which was to use the Privacy Bar's KillFlash button. Thanks.

N

Posted by: 888 (yes)
Date: October 10, 2009 10:25PM

that's a "feature" of Adobe's Flash (to spy on users), not K-Meleon's.
As noted by previous posters, currently Flash stores its cookies in %APPDATA%\Macromedia but it may change with any version of so-often updated Flash anytime... (notice it still uses old "Macromedia" folder, even though Adobe bought it from Macromedia quite some time ago). My point saying it, is that K-Meleon programmers would have to follow each and every plugin available to have it updated, whilst it is very simple to do on your own.

Write a simple "cleaner" batch script for yourself (that's what I have, I don't use CCleaner because I don't like few things it does).
Place a shortcut to this script in your Startup and every time you logon it will clean up all the garbage.

If you don't know how to write a simplest script:
Open notepad, type i.e.:
===========
@ECHO OFF

DEL C:\TEMP\* /F /S /Q
DEL C:\WINNT\Temp\* /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Application Data\Adobe\Flash Player\*" /F /S /Q
DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Application Data\Adobe\Shockwave Player 11\Shockwave Log" /F /S/Q
DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Application Data\Google\Local Search History\google%2Eweb.w" /F /S/Q
DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\*" /F /S /Q
DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer\ErrorLogs\*" /F /S /Q
DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer\History\*" /F /S /Q
DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer\Temp\*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Local Settings\Temp\*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\USERS\YOUR USER NAME HERE\K-MeleonCache\*" /F /S /Q
DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Temporary Internet Files\*" /F /S /Q

DEL C:\RECYCLER\* /F /S /Q
DEL D:\RECYCLER\* /F /S /Q

CLS
=========
This is just example, part of my own "cleaner script".
It wipes out K-MEleon's cache, IE's cache, all Windows temporary caches, Real Player, Flash, Shockwave cache logs temp files and cookies.
That's for Windows 2000. On XP or Vista or 7 substitute "C:\WINNT" with "C:\WINDOWS", and on Vista or 7 substitute "Documents and Settings" with "Users" IIRC.

Posted by: Matt
Date: February 17, 2010 08:00PM

There is one more quick way to erase flash cookies.
I stumled upon a tiny app called Flash Cookies Cleaner; 96,5 KB, stand-alone exe-file (no installation needed). You can use this small macro if you like and copy FlashCookiesCleaner.exe to K-Meleon\tools.
Access via menu Tools > Privacy > Delete Flash Cookies.

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# --------------------------- FlashCookiesCleaner -------------------------------
# Direct Download: http://www.hotcleaner.com/bin/FlashCookiesCleaner.exe
# Delete Flash Cookies aka Local Shared Objects (LSOs)

$_tool_path=getfolder(RootFolder)."\\Tools";

FlashCookiesCleaner{
exec($_tool_path."\\FlashCookiesCleaner.exe ");
}

FlashCookiesCleaner_BuildMenu{
setmenu("&Privacy",macro,"Delete Flash Cookies",FlashCookiesCleaner);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."FlashCookiesCleaner_BuildMenu;";
# ----------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."FlashCookiesCleaner;";

Infos & download

I hope you don't mind I unburied this thread ;-)

Posted by: Davep
Date: February 19, 2010 04:45AM

Thanks Matt! It works like a charm.

Posted by: Matt
Date: February 19, 2010 11:55AM

It's always important to change default settings in the Settings Manager. BTW, that's tricky: to configure software you have installed on your drive you have to do it online - not pretty :/

Remember, there is no need to install flash. You can completely unistall it and get rid of flash cookies. Only *.sol files (settings) are being stored. All you have to do is to copy NPSWF32.dll to K-Meleon\plugins.

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplug.htm

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,102921,103116

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 20, 2010 06:22AM

since there is demand for this, a simple autotit script to delete flash cookies and sol settings without gui using matt's macro

tools>privacy>clear data>clear flash cookies
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/clearflashcookies.7z

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.