Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Clear All privacy shortcut key combo ala Firefox
Posted by: Scrumpy
Date: October 06, 2009 07:34PM

I have recently installed K-Meleon 1.5.3 on an old, low spec PC and after many years since last using it, it's nice to see the progress that has been made.

On most PC's I use Firefox and frequently clear all privacy data in the course of browsing using it's CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE shortcut, which I prefer instead of using the menu option.

K-Meleon's default Privacy plugin has a 'Clear All' menu option but it's nestled in a sub, sub menu and with no shortcut key combo aka 'Accelerator' (in K-Meleon speak).

I read through the docs and figured out how to add such a shortcut by adding:
%ifplugin privacy
CTRL SHIFT VK_DELETE = macros(kPrivacy_ClearAll)
%endif
to accel.cfg in my Profile's directory (I like how this shortcut is now listed beside the menu option, as a reminder).

How about adding this as a default accelerator in future releases?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clear All privacy shortcut key combo ala Firefox
Posted by: siria
Date: October 06, 2009 07:49PM

Hey, I see your point, but personally I'd rather not have such a "dangerous" button on some hotkey by default. You may say, it's complicated enough. Perhaps. Hmm, now thinking about it, a safety-question "Are you really sure you want to delete all your history, cookies, etc.??" wouldn't be bad... Although, the people who actually use this, would probably prefer an instant button (as today) ;-)
Btw, have you switched on the Privacy Bar? There's this button too, am just not sure if it's hidden or shown by default. When playing around with this bar and testing stuff, I occasionally hit this thing accidentally, and oops -sh...t!! Now I leave it hidden, LOL!
Tastes are different, and sub-sub-menus certainly complicated, but all those buttons are right at my fingertips grinning smiley This bar should be enabled by default!

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 06, 2009 08:44PM

Copy user defined accel.cfg to next install. 1.5.x updates no action needed, if You reuse Profile.

p.s. Clear all ist sichtbar.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 08:46PM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 07, 2009 12:21AM

Scrumpy
I have recently installed K-Meleon 1.5.3 on an old, low spec PC and after many years since last using it, it's nice to see the progress that has been made.

On most PC's I use Firefox and frequently clear all privacy data in the course of browsing using it's CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE shortcut, which I prefer instead of using the menu option.

K-Meleon's default Privacy plugin has a 'Clear All' menu option but it's nestled in a sub, sub menu and with no shortcut key combo aka 'Accelerator' (in K-Meleon speak).

I read through the docs and figured out how to add such a shortcut by adding:
%ifplugin privacy
CTRL SHIFT VK_DELETE = macros(kPrivacy_ClearAll)
%endif
to accel.cfg in my Profile's directory (I like how this shortcut is now listed beside the menu option, as a reminder).

How about adding this as a default accelerator in future releases?

As they said, the Privacy Bar can be set up to delete all info... I personally found that too dangerous, so I set it up to clear automatically (on startup) the disk cache and address bar history (Tools/Privacy/Clear Data/Clear Automatically.

I also use Privacy Bar to toggle what I consider to be the dangerous settings: as in History (who knows how long I want to keep it). As for Passwords and Cookies, I don't want to just toggle them on or off, that is like a meat cleaver when you need a surgeon's scapel. I use the less than efficient, but workable Privacy Manager builtin to KM to handle passwords and depending upon my mood, I either use Cookie Monster or Cookie Culler to handle cookies.

My point is that your private data is complicated. You have tools in various browsers to handle it in different ways. This is just mine for KM.

N

Posted by: siria
Date: October 07, 2009 12:07PM

To sum it up: He wants a "boss hotkey", and this right out of the box eye rolling smiley
A "boss BUTTON" is there already in the privacy bar, but customizing hotkeys isn't so easy.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.