Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
A couple of things...
Posted by: thingy
Date: July 27, 2008 01:46AM

I'm a new user and although I find K-Meleon a bit slower to use than I would like, overall it seems pretty good.

However I do have a couple of issues.

Firstly, I cannot immunise K-Meleon from Spybot. I realise this is probably down to the Spybot developers, but it's discouraging me from using K-Meleon for anything but very basic things. If there is something in the K-M code which could be tweaked to allow this rather fundamental security measure, it would inspire me with a lot more confidence to use the browser more extensively.

Secondly, although I didn't ask it to, K-Meleon became my default browser after installation. After resetting my default browser to IE, I find that all web shortcuts from Windows Explorer are still opening in K-Meleon. Is there something I can do about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A couple of things...
Posted by: desga2
Date: July 27, 2008 09:45AM

Hi thingy, and welcome to K-Meleon comunity;

1) What is "Spybot"? Can you post a link? Is it a Firefox extension or external tool?
K-Meleon not need of additional software because is safer browsers and totally confidence. K-Meleon in not IE, K-Meleon is Gecko as Firefox/Mozilla/Seamonkey.

2) K-Meleon install that you like install. If you during installation proccess not unchecked "Set K-Meleon as your default browser" option (cheked by default), your problem is that you don't read install options and you made an installation type "Accept->Next->Next->Install".

For remove K-Meleon of default browser go to: Edit -> Advanced Preferences ( or press F2 key) -> Select Browsing section -> Press "Set As Default Browser" button.
This open similar to installation proccess; Press Next and select your K-Meleon installation folder. Press Next and uncheck "Set K-Meleon as your default browser" and press Install.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 27, 2008 02:55PM

@thingy,
It is a Windows system problem if the system does not revert to another default application when You select it. (It is a symthom that Windows is damaged - it has nothing to do with K-Meleon, except that You found it while You experimented with K-Meleon).

You can try to right click on the shortcut (or give a file on hdd the extension .html,.shtml or whatever ) and then associate it with a program of Your choice for example IE as default handler. This manual process breaks less often and later in the lifetime of a Windows install. When the manual process breaks You need to set up a new Windows sad smiley

Date: July 27, 2008 05:52PM

Hello - thanks for the replies.

This is now the fourth time I've tried to post, as there seem to be some problems with your php database retaining content long enough to submit.

1 - Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html.

2 - IE. No problem reading instructions, thanks. I was very particular NOT to select K-M as my default browser. I'm picky that way, I like to make my own choices about what goes on my computer. In spite of manually resetting both at the Tools>>Options>>File Types menu and Open With>>Choose Program>>Always use this program etc. at individual file level, and being able to open in IE on request, I cannot now unassign K-M as the primary association for html and associated file types without it reverting back to default after a variable period of time.

In addition, I cannot change my icons back to IE ones (yes, I have deleted my icon cache, pressed F5, closed down, rebooted etc, etc, etc).

3 - Windows - Actually it's a brand new (less than a week old) install of XPSP2 which was running like a dream till I installed K-Meleon. There's a fair bit of software on there, each opening successfully with an application of my choice apart from web pages. The problem is only with K-Meleon.

So apologies, but I shall be uninstalling for the time being till I can be sure K-M is more stable. It's a pity, because I like the feel and simplicity of use, but it just isn't worth the extra hassle.

Thanks again.

Posted by: zelgon
Date: July 27, 2008 09:16PM

1 - Spyboot immunize
That's just cookie checker and, based on some rule(s), remover. I would not make a headeache from that. Looks like spyboot don't know (but perhaps here's an option) K-Meleon folder where are cookies stored.

2 - Maybe you have still running K-Meleon starter? Indeed, easiest is to remove K-Meleon and confirm yourself, everything should return back to normal. (If that is so, you may calmly install it once again, this time more carefully)

Date: July 28, 2008 04:59PM

It would not be possible to install K-Meleon any more carefully or calmly than I already did. Adding and removing programs is something I learned how to do many years ago while training to work in computer system support. I've been doing it long enough now to be able to tell the difference between a careless install and a software conflict.

K-Meleon is now completely removed from my system and registry, but the damage it has done to my icon cache continues.

Posted by: desga2
Date: July 28, 2008 09:44PM

Are you running Vista?

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.