Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Browser.xpt Sucks Should Remove
Posted by: George
Date: January 11, 2006 01:21AM

browser.xpt should not be a part of an official release or any kmeleon release becuase it not a mozilla XPT composed of many mozilla xpt files. The separate XPT files should be a part of the release instead of browser.xpt. When mozilla improves those separate XPT, browser.xpt would not have any of those improvements. Some bugs could caused by conflicts between browser.xpt and other components such as XPTs and DLLs which are newer than browser.xpt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Browser.xpt Sucks Should Remove
Posted by: Fred
Date: January 16, 2006 11:09AM

browser.xpt can be rewritten every time the Gecko Running
Engine is updated, the function is the same as that of separate
xpt's, but some think that a comprehensive browser.xpt can
make the browser faster. It is anyhow not a bug.
Fred

Date: January 17, 2006 09:39PM

I do not think it will make it faster becuase the separate XPIs could conflict with the browser.xpi XPIs slowing the browser down by calling the same XPI more than once. Also, some people do not update the browser.xpi with new XPIs becuase I have seen browser.xpi with earlier date than separate XPIs. So browser.xpi is not updated with every new GRE. Some people only copy a old version into their build with updating with the latest GRE. Only using the separate xpis you would always know that you have the latest GRE for the XPIs and with browser.xpi you can not tell if it uses the latest GRE. And when building a build some people do not know what files are in browser.xpi so they can copy separate XPI into their build without knowing that they are already present in browser.xpi.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 19, 2006 12:24AM

@George: FF official devs think that it is faster that is from where the idea was imported from Jan ( IMHO it is so for startup 4 it = less overhead ).

I always updated the linked xpt for every new GRE that i used. They need to be updated after changes, but they are only specified interfaces, so i am not sure whether it is needed to renew each time - the unrenewd files worked?

I agree to the fact that it should be public which xpt the linked file contains.
You can have the info from me - i know for 0.9 what the joined xpt need to contain
afaik as minimum - I included both the joined file and the individual xpt files as archive in the last update of my theme (in case You have that).

Maybe we could pass on link_xpt.exe and the script together with unjoined xpt?
Some ppl like You and me seem to be interested in such things - but fear we r few.
greetings

Date: January 19, 2006 08:14PM

One Thing that those people are overlooking is that Mozilla doesn't have a browser.xpi and works fine. People assuming that browser.xpi makes kmeleon faster is a mistake because they did not test the browser speed with or without browser.xpi present. Their is an old saying "Never Assume Anything", They test and retest with and without browser.xpi to see if it speeds up Kmeleon. If Browser.xpi only slightly speeds up startup or doesn't speed up startup it is not worth the time to create browser.xpi . Also If startup is sped up slightly and browser.xpi does not speed up browsing and processing web pages or slows them is not worth the time of creating Browser.xpi.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 20, 2006 09:07AM

Why do you care ? In either case, it doesn't affect you at all, and it's not your time that is wasted.

Date: January 23, 2006 11:07AM

@George: make and browser only install of Mozilla or SeaMonkey and looksmiling smiley
btw - if You prepared the chrome of that, removed splash screen and made him use
Profile and emebd engine inside install directory like we have with k-m.
You would IMHO have the best and fastest Gecko browser next to k-m

Date: January 23, 2006 07:55PM

No Browser is the best in the World, becuase every browser has their own problems and bugs. Their will never be the best browser in the world becuase we are always finding new bugs and problems with every browser. Some browsers are better at some things than other browsers. That is why people try fix bugs, speed up, add compatibility with other browers, and add new features to their browsers. For example bookmarking works better with Netscape 4.80 - 8.04, Firefox, Mozilla, and Internet Explorer. The kmeleon Netscape bookmark plugin crash nearly all taskbars and toolbars when their are too many bookmarks in the bookmark file. Netscape, Firefox, and Mozilla do not have this problem with thier bookmarks files becuase they do not have a limit on the numbers bookmarks that can be stored in the bookmark file and the Kmeleon Bookmarks have this problem becuase the Kmeleon Netscape Bookmark has a predefined limit which the creator plugin believes should be enough for anyone. Which is simliar to When Bill Gates said, "640K ought to be enough for anybody" in 1981.

Date: January 23, 2006 09:48PM

@George - agreed but at the moment k-m S-M and the altered SeaMonkey that i tried to deescribe are top for me at my pc (and I am the only user that counts here ; )

btw: I have a NS4.78 installed (the last de version of ns4.) for some uses.

Posted by: kalieoskara
Date: May 13, 2008 04:24PM

I find Kmeleon to be very useful and infact use it almost everyday. Some of the minor things that I don't like are the lack of themes and the lack of powerful extensions. But for everyday browsing, I think that not many people need that anyways. My pc loves Kmeleon since it uses much less memory and RAM leaks are not a feature of Kmeleon winking smiley.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 14, 2008 02:10AM

Guenter,

<<@George - agreed but at the moment k-m S-M and the altered SeaMonkey that i tried to deescribe are top for me at my pc (and I am the only user that counts here ; )>>

You're not still using W9x as your test bed?

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.