Bookmark-Toolbar with drag & drop
Posted by: spacepilot
Date: April 20, 2011 03:33AM

Hi there,

K-Meleon is an awesome browser and already pretty much developed. Therefore I post only the most urgent weaknesses, I experienced so far:

1) Toolbar needs drag 'n drop
-------------------------------
I often use the bookmark-toolbar to quickly store webpage-findings that I'm going to use within the next time until I move them to the other bookmarks.

All browsers but K-Meleon allow drag 'n drop from address-bar to the toolbar. I really miss that feature. In fact I often switch back to firefox because of this. It's just a detail, but it disturbs my surfing-habbits. So please change this.

2) Bookmarks in general
--------------------------
This is more a tip than a wish: All present browsers have abad bookmark-feature. Increasing this would make k-meleon a lot more attractive in comparison to others. What should be different? Easier access. The abandoned tool Active Caption was the perfect (and only appropriate) bookmark-management. Try Google and give it a try. Unfortunately it doesn't work with modern browsers anymore. The Bookmarks are stored in an overlay-window. They are small, in a tree-structure and allow moving/editing etc. in place. This never got adopted in any browser.

3) Speed!
-------
Start-up time is too high. Maybe you know it already since you included the windows-autorun-loader to shotren startup time. That's not a clean solution, moving the performance-problem to the system (as background-loader). Since adobe, java, real-player, winamp and many others do the same, my system is pretty busy when idle. That's the reason I removed them all - K-Meleon included.

4) Search-Query-Box
---------------------
This great feature deserves getting polished: At least with a drop-down-button and icons in front of search-engine-titles.

5) Themeing:
--------------
Some themes (dis)allow some features. That's irritating. I can't switch the skin without changing browser-functions as well. Not good. I really don't like my current theme anymore but I'm afraid to switch it since important functions (like clear-cache-button) could get lost.

Unlike most others in this forum, I think slimmer is better. Please continue ignoring wishes like "include dictionary" or "include form input/password memory" so that k-meleon will be an independent browser with it's own set of features also in future. It doesn't need to look and work like the others.

Re: Bookmark-Toolbar with drag & drop
Posted by: guenter
Date: April 20, 2011 02:30PM

spacepilot

3) Speed!
-------
Start-up time is too high. Maybe you know it already since you included the windows-autorun-loader to shotren startup time. That's not a clean solution, moving the performance-problem to the system (as background-loader). Since adobe, java, real-player, winamp and many others do the same, my system is pretty busy when idle. That's the reason I removed them all - K-Meleon included.

4) Search-Query-Box
---------------------
This great feature deserves getting polished: At least with a drop-down-button and icons in front of search-engine-titles.

5) Themeing:
--------------
Some themes (dis)allow some features. That's irritating. I can't switch the skin without changing browser-functions as well. Not good. I really don't like my current theme anymore but I'm afraid to switch it since important functions (like clear-cache-button) could get lost.

Unlike most others in this forum, I think slimmer is better. Please continue ignoring wishes like "include dictionary" or "include form input/password memory" so that k-meleon will be an independent browser with it's own set of features also in future. It doesn't need to look and work like the others.

3.) Nothings squandered here anymore. The loader has been decapacited a while ago and offers merely an icon in the startup Windows bar now. If You want to see the raw speed of a real preloader use that of K-Meleon 0.7 - 0.9. :O

Kastriert worden. Keine Verschwendung mehr. Nimm nen Alten, wenn du sehen willst, wie ein K-Meleon startet, wenn Teile vorgeladen sind = ohne jede Wartezeit. Ãœbrigens IE wird noch so voregladen wie die alten K-Meleon Loader es konnetn.

4.) Somewhat changed for 1.6.beat2.

Muste mal gucken. 1.6beta2 kriegste überwiegend de-DE, wenn du den ./locales Ordner von 1.5.4 rüber kopierst.

5.) Only the 3 default themes that come on install are done by the K-Meleon developers.

All other theming is a private individual offer of the PPL that created the themes.
K-Meleon project has no influence what PPL include. Some include more some less.

Clear Cache is a component that is part of all skins with a Privacy Bar. IMHO More than 100 skins have that feature. http://dhost.info/kmeleonskins/K-Meleon%201.5.3%20Skin%20Extension%20(2.0).7z = 1.5.4 skins.

Themen sind privat erstellt. Bis auf die, welche mit der Installation kommen.

Einige enthalten weniger als die Offiziellen, du findest aber auch solche die mehr Funktionen haben als die Offiziellen. Eigentlich haben die Leute die Themen mal für sich selbst gemacht.

Von diesem Thread findest du Archive mit ca. 150 Skins von den geschätze 100 einen Clear Cache Button als Teil haben:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,112251,115676#msg-115676

Für K-Meleon 1.5.4de-DE kannst du IMHO Skin Version 1.5 und 1.6 nutzen.

Falls du den Code in einer Haut nachrüsten willst.
Das fett Geschriebene muß an realle Bilder aus deiner Skin angepaßt werden.

(24,24) gibt die Größe des Bildes in Pixel an.
Bilder in einem *.BMP zählen 0,1,2...

Der Kode:

Als Knopf in einer Leiste:

%ifplugin privacy

Clear Cache(24,24){
privacy(ClearCache)
Clear Cache
privhot.bmp[8]
privcold.bmp[8]

}
%ifplugin privacy

Als eigene Leiste, die als Letzte hinter alle anderen in der benutzten toolbars.cfg geschrieben würde! :

Clear Cache(24,24){
%ifplugin privacy

Clear Cache{
privacy(ClearCache)
Clear Cache
privhot.bmp[8]
privcold.bmp[8]

}
%ifplugin privacy
}

p.s. If You do not understand all ask and do not use anonymiser pages located in Germany.

Adding some features is almost free and does not squander many resources.

For example add dictionary and spelling.

Drag and drop for the mouse has a 500 kb bigger mouse gestures plugin as starter and IMHO needs several more code changes when used together with bookmarks.

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2011 02:43PM by guenter.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 20, 2011 03:29PM

spacepilot
4) Search-Query-Box
---------------------

A right-click or a slightly longer left-click of the button displays the search engine list. For more features, check out Search+.

Date: April 21, 2011 05:15AM

Hey man your german is worse than your english and this is not because of your slang.
Answer 3b you copy 'n pasted wrong. The answer begins in the middle of a sentence. Answer 4 has
nothing to do with my post anyway. Rest of the text is wrongly translated from english to german. ("Skin" is not "Haut" in german, but also skin).

Regarding to theming: Thank you so much! That's what I really wanted. I didn't want
bugless themes - I actually wanna write them myself!

Well and the loader...don't think I need to tell you that IE is no reference. According to
the website, firefox 4 did increase speed again. Don't know if this also means Startup-time.
Propably not, since the browser is slow as well. As a comparative new browser, K-Meleon can be
faster than others. No need to give this rank to opera and chrome. I don't believe
that speed can't get increased with cleaning up some code.

Thanks for the mouse-gesture-tip. :-)

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 21, 2011 09:00AM

spacepilot
Hey man your german is worse than your english and this is not because ...

Posters von anonymizer.blutmagie.de usw. sind bei mir jetzt unter der sprichwörtlichen Brücke, wo sie nicht weiter gefüttert werden sollen.

Final: Hallo Alter Ur English is worse than Ur German & nicht nur weil Du dich im Ton vergriffen hast.

Ich kann die Sachen im Denglisch auch einfach als Haut translaten und muss nicht den en-US Begriff nehmen.

Und mit dem Verb beginnen, wenn der Zusamenhang klar ist, kann ich auf jeden Fall.

spacepilot
firefox 4...

B s. Natürlich ist z.B. die Ausführungsgeschwindigkeit von JavaScript bei Firefox 4 höher.

K-Meleon hat nur weniger XUL Code & Schnickschnack zu schleppen - deshalb ist er schneller, wenn die Mittel begrenzt sind (alte Hardware oder viele Progis am Laufen).

& Plonk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 10:21AM by guenter.

Date: April 22, 2011 03:24AM

Well... the context ain't clear. K-Meleon is an awesome browser and hardly known. During my testing within the last two years, I found the listed "problems" most annoying. Not sure if everybody posting here relies on such an experience when making a suggestion. Mine can be of use for you or cannot.

Regarding to your language-problem: I speak five languages and three of them in everydaylife. Sorry when you don't like my "tone".

Posted by: siria
Date: April 23, 2011 08:50AM

I don't like your aggressive and useless offenses either, and in other forums where I participate people with such (non-)manners would get banned either immediately or after one warning at most. Unfortunately over here no one cares, so you can happily continue offending other members. It can only happen that you get less answers.

By the way you're wrong about the age of KM. It's even older than Firefox, roughly ten years old, more exactly it can be found on wikipedia or waybackmachine.

Some things of your list run contrary to the core structure of KM, like destroying the absolute freedom for every user to customize his own skin buttons in every detail, in a rather simple config-sheet (and if needed with bit help from the forum, see above).
That's your personal preference, mine happens to like more freedom, and it's just a matter of different tastes. It's clear that the great majority of people shares your preference, so they can and DO use the majority browsers, but the special features of this browser are what makes it perfect for some other users, which happen to prefer the KM way. Not all browsers are for everyone.
Others of your wishes certainly are useful, and don't appear here the first time, but require a lot of dev time, which is extremely rare currently, so perhaps they can be finished in a few years.
Anyway, since you want KM to work exactly like the big main browsers, and detest the extremely free but slightly more complicated configuration via config sheets, it would make sense for you to just use one of those other browsers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 08:55AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.