Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
image extension and performance improvement
Posted by: XND
Date: September 28, 2010 08:30PM

Hello!

I have two requests:
- I like the Flashblock extension , can something like that be done to images too
- can Kmeleon be made to run exclusively from RAM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: image extension and performance improvement
Posted by: siria
Date: September 28, 2010 08:58PM

Do you mean you want to block images? If yes, that exists since many years.
Look for image options in Edit > Preferences (F2) > Page Display -> images

You can block either all or none or define exceptions for single domains (domain not of webpage but of image source path).
Some of those settings are also accessible via
Tools > Privacy > Block Images, and
Tools > Privacy > Permissions > Images (for setting exceptions)

You can NOT just right-click an image and set exceptions sorry, perhaps there's a macro extension somewhere out there, no idea ;-)

Not sure what you mean exactly by that RAM thing, and I don't really know anything about it, but perhaps it has something to do with that thread about "RamDisk"...?
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,100600

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 08:59PM by siria.

Date: September 28, 2010 10:07PM

The Flashblock extension replaces flash objects with a button I can click to load them , so I was hoping images can be replaced with buttons the same way. In this way I can load and view only the images that I want and ignore the rest.

When I use kmeleon it constantly reads and writes something to my hard drive ( probably web pages, web addresses and other things ). It will work much faster if it will load everything in RAM and never read and write to my drive( maybe only once on start up and another time on exit ).

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 28, 2010 10:34PM

AFAIK there is no extension like flashblock for pictures.

F2 -> Cache -> Cache Settings.

Deactivate: Cache files on disk.
By default K-Meleon keeps a disk cache! That is why he writes on HDD or other location to which You located the Profiles.

Above it first item = Memory Cache.
And increase the Memory cache to a suitable value for Your PC.

BTW. These are the default settings e.g. for portable K-Meleon where it has has a slow disk (e.g. an USB device) )for the cache or when You do not want to leave data traces on the disk. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 10:39PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 28, 2010 11:14PM

XND
In this way I can load and view only the images that I want and ignore the rest.

If you're lucky and actually get to see an image placeholder or if you know which 'normal text' is actually a broken image (IF there's anything at all visible), then you can right-click on it and choose "reload image".

As for writing to disk, the caching is certainly by far the biggest chunk. Yep, there are options for this. I wonder if that "constant writing" may also concern the history... and the URL bar history (stored in prefs.js in profile folder)...

Date: September 28, 2010 11:51PM

thanks!

I did what guenter said and it works fine.
I checked pref.js file and it remains the way it is , nothing is written in it after I close Kmeleon.

siria
If you're lucky and actually get to see an image placeholder or if you know which 'normal text' is actually a broken image (IF there's anything at all visible), then you can right-click on it and choose "reload image".
yep it works

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.