Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
"Add a keyword for this search"
Posted by: bmoskover83
Date: April 28, 2010 05:27PM

Fire Fox has a very useful option that allows you to bookmark searches. You can get to it when you right click a search box, like in eBay or in Google, and scroll down to "add a keyword for this search".

Is there any way to have the same thing in KM?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Add a keyword for this search"
Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 29, 2010 12:08AM

I am looking into your request. I do not know if it is possible or not. While I do that, you may want to check out "SearchH" macro in the Macrolibrary. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmSearchH

Using SearchH a new menu item, Search History, is added to history which can provide a list of previous searchs.

It may take me some time to research because the "search.kmm" file is complicated.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 29, 2010 03:06AM

JamesD
I am looking into your request. I do not know if it is possible or not. While I do that, you may want to check out "SearchH" macro in the Macrolibrary. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmSearchH

Using SearchH a new menu item, Search History, is added to history which can provide a list of previous searchs.

It may take me some time to research because the "search.kmm" file is complicated.

The request is actually separate from the macro search function in KM. The feature detects the search URL of the search input box of a page and then prompts the user to save it to bookmarks with a keyword(a.k.a Nick in KM). So it would be a different macro module. The tricky part (at least for me) is detecting the search URL of the input box in a page. I don't know if there's an easy way to do that or if JS is required. Once the detection is figured out, in addition to bmoskover83's request, we could also easily add searches to KM's search list in prefs, but adding it to search.xml so it can work well with configuration in Preferences is not as straight forward.

I don't believe the request refers to search history. I provided an alternative version of search history in Search+.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 03:14AM by jsnj.

Date: April 29, 2010 03:09AM

This feature is a must have; while K-Meleon is impressive when it comes to speed, it lacks navigational tools which in turn hinders the speed of the browser experience. The feature "add a keyword for this search" will totally make this browser better.

Date: April 29, 2010 08:23PM

any luck?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 29, 2010 11:20PM

None so far. I think I am confused. It is not the search results that you want to name, but rather a search box on some web page. Have I understood it now?

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 29, 2010 11:54PM

bmoskover83
Fire Fox has a very useful option that allows you to bookmark searches. You can get to it when you right click a search box, like in eBay or in Google, and scroll down to "add a keyword for this search".

Is there any way to have the same thing in KM?

1.) It is based on a data bank. sqlite?
Unless You implement sqlite/databank - You cannot have that technically.

2.) No, hopefully.

You have to buy negatives (run data bank and save data, uses resources) to get the feature

- I hope K-Meleon project postpones that FF feature until PCs are faster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 11:58PM by guenter.

Date: April 30, 2010 12:42AM

JamesD
None so far. I think I am confused. It is not the search results that you want to name, but rather a search box on some web page. Have I understood it now?

Just to be able to type a keyword followed by your search, in contrast to the way KM is now, where you have to go to Google.com for example.... type in your search and get the results... but with this feature enabled you can type "G" followed by your search all inside the address URL. The browser will go directly to the Google results without passing through the home page.

This feature alone makes fire fox the best to me and if by any chance KM can adopt this feature I'm sure it will become the best browser. You can also put keywords for eBay, Wiki, Craigslist or really any search you wish.

Date: April 30, 2010 01:47AM

bmoskover83
JamesD

Just to be able to type a keyword followed by your search, in contrast to the way KM is now, where you have to go to Google.com for example.... type in your search and get the results... but with this feature enabled you can type "G" followed by your search all inside the address URL. The browser will go directly to the Google results without passing through the home page.

This feature alone makes fire fox the best to me and if by any chance KM can adopt this feature I'm sure it will become the best browser. You can also put keywords for eBay, Wiki, Craigslist or really any search you wish.

We already have this feature. See this link. I thought you knew that. What we don't have is the ability to add them easily to bookmarks by right-clicking the input box. You have to manually add them. But most of the search URLs are already located in Preferences - Finding Websites - Search Engines. You can copy the search engine urls from there to bookmarks and give it a nickname a.k.a keyword and you'll have what you want. Or if you don't mind using ALT + ENTER instead of just ENTER, you can use Search+ for the same function. That way you don't have to copy them over to bookmarks. Just add all the searches you plan on using in the Web Search tab and then assign keywords from Search Options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 02:01AM by jsnj.

Date: April 30, 2010 03:38AM

Ok after following your instructions without using Search+.... Ive come to another issue.... I copy the URL from the "Search Engines" tab to the bookmarks... I used Google.... I give it a "G" for a nickname..... Tried it out...... Typing "G" brings me to the Google home page which is good..... but typing "G" followed by my search brings up

"The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded"

Date: April 30, 2010 03:47AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVvEPcugvkg
this will better explain what I mean

Date: April 30, 2010 04:06AM

bmoskover83
Ok after following your instructions without using Search+.... Ive come to another issue.... I copy the URL from the "Search Engines" tab to the bookmarks... I used Google.... I give it a "G" for a nickname..... Tried it out...... Typing "G" brings me to the Google home page which is good..... but typing "G" followed by my search brings up

"The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded"

You probably forgot to add the %s at the end of the URL. Did you check out the QuikNick page I posted in my last message? It has examples. Firefox uses the same %s formula. They just do it for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 04:11AM by jsnj.

Date: April 30, 2010 04:18AM

got it! yay!!

thank you. now I am a search machine........

but wait..... what if I want to bookmark a search that is not on the "Search Engines" list???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 04:25AM by bmoskover83.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: April 30, 2010 08:23AM

Hi,

I'm using IE Favorites.

If I do a search with any search engine, I get a page with results, no matter if I typed the engines address, followed a link there, used a configured nick ... doesn't matter.

Now if I drag&drop the tab or the URL address to my Favorites folder (or a link to the folder in my QuickLaunchBar), that search becomes a named Internet Shortcut.

Just tried it, typed linkification in www.metager.de

The search URL gets to be very long (I intentionally the word-wrapped, just a part from the center of the URL:`)
on&QuickTips=beschleuniger&synonyme=on&linkTest=no&check_time=3&dmoz=
on&exalead=on&suchclip=on&wikipedia=on&yacy=on&witch=on&overture=
on&fastbot=on&metarss=on&Nachrichten=on&mrwong=on&netzsuchende=

The Shortcuts title: "MetaGer, Suche nach_ linkifikation" - all the info needed.
If I wanted, I could add more, renaming it to, say, "srch MG for linkification. day after we got the new bike", or whatever.

Any time I dbleClick that link in its folder, the same search is executed again, provided K-M is my default browser.

Don't know if you can do something like this with bookmarks (no drag&drop, AFAIK),
and I'm not really sure if this adresses any of the issues here,
because I can't see a problem concerning "Saving a Search as a Bookmark"...

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 08:31AM by SoerenB.

Date: April 30, 2010 01:30PM

or you can use firefox... find the box you would like to make the keyword for..... right click.... go down to "add a keyword for this search".... the URL is displayed.... after that you can paste the URL into your KM bookmarks and add a nickname.

Id like to thank everybody that helped. Youve made this my number one favorite browser for years to come.

Posted by: bugmenot
Date: May 07, 2010 12:21AM

bmoskover83
but wait..... what if I want to bookmark a search that is not on the "Search Engines" list???

All you need to do is perform the search with an easy to see term like MYSEARCHTERM. Then - bookmark the results page, edit the bookmark, change MYSEARCHTERM to %s, and set whatever nick(keyword) you want.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.