Can I get the icon in cornflower blue?
Posted by: Carlos
Date: February 08, 2010 07:51PM

Cheers if you got the reference.

On the other hand, this request is purely graphical, and doesn't add real improvement.

I think the start up icon for k-meleon is, well, ahm...

unnatractive. I really prefer the icon used in the webpage menu bar, it looks better, more "icon-like" the cartoonish chameleon doesn't do it for me.

If you could make an icon based on the webpage chameleon I would be grateful.

Re: Can I get the icon in cornflower blue?
Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 08, 2010 10:41PM

i believe 1.6 will have a new default icon mostly based on the official logo
the cartoonish kmeleon is mozilla's own icon(gecko) and not kmeleon's

Posted by: Yogi
Date: February 09, 2010 11:31AM

@Carlos

If you don't want to wait till 1.6 gets released you can download from here an icon that fits the homepage logo. Mine looks so.
However it's not cornflower blue (the official logo isn't either) but you can edit the icon and change the color as you like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 11:36AM by Yogi.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 09, 2010 12:52PM

There is an icon in the exe. 1.6 will have a new one.

The icon shown is called main.ico. It is in the used skin. If no file called main.ico is present in the skin the shown ico defaults to that of the exe.

You can create or find a blue ico You like and drop it into used skin.
The answers imply that You know this.

Posted by: siria
Date: February 09, 2010 01:14PM

Boah, that "new" one on the left side here is so ugly *shudder*, it would actually make me check out resourcehacker trying to change it in the startup icon too (and probably explorer windows?) Cute old Mozzi instead is so lovely :-))
Good thing that at least the icons on the windows and tabs can be changed so easily, in the skin tongue sticking out smiley

But yet again it seems that tastes are very wide apart regarding those two icons. Wouldn't it be possible to include a choice for that in the settings, like in irfanview??

Some older threads for this subject, with interesting stuff:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,98923
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,96504

Someone posted an alternative icon there with just a big "K" on it, perhaps that might just make a good compromise? It's just not transparent on my win98, which makes it look a bit weird, but then again, it is claimed that KM1.6 will not support win98 anymore at all (Pity seeing that even Firefox3.x still supports it, officially or not, except for printing).
At any rate a user option for that icon would be by far the best, seeing how far apart opinions on the two existing ones are!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 01:52PM by siria.

Date: February 09, 2010 05:24PM

disrupted
i believe 1.6 will have a new default icon mostly based on the official logo
the cartoonish kmeleon is mozilla's own icon(gecko) and not kmeleon's
Huh!, I didn't know that.

I think I'll wait for the new version.

Date: February 09, 2010 06:49PM

IMHO there already exists an icon fitting perfectly whith the official logo and the browser's name. Also important, it still looks fine at 16pixels. It is the Gecko icon made by Joseph Connors.
However that's just my personal opinion and whatever the choice will be I can't be bothered about it since changing an icon is a matter of 1 minute work :cool:

siria
Someone posted an alternative icon there with just a big "K" on it, perhaps that might just make a good compromise? It's just not transparent on my win98, which makes it look a bit weird, ...

I've played around a little with the icon you mentioned. I can't test it with your system but the transparency might be ok for you now. In case it isn't, sorry smiling smiley
It's the K-icon containing 3 frames (16px, 24px, 32px)
main.zip
(You will have to enable Cookies and JavaScript in order to download)

Posted by: siria
Date: February 09, 2010 08:05PM

Yes, now the transparency works smiling smiley

It just gets a bit dark in 16px, not much contrast between red and green...

Changing in 1 minute, well sure if one knows how to. But I've spent a decade with computers now and still have no clue how, and reading about resourcehacker that might well work, but getting a new program and checking it out and learning how it works still isn't such a peanut ;-)

Well, since I'm just at it, for casual readers, those are the icons we're talking about, in 16px:

(That lizard thing really looks like a fish head ;-P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 08:34PM by siria.

Date: February 09, 2010 11:09PM

siria
Well, since I'm just at it, for casual readers, those are the icons we're talking about, in 16px

I'm afraid you've forgot one with 16px, namely the one I was talking about tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 11:10PM by Yogi.

Date: February 10, 2010 10:48PM

siria

Just for fun I've uploaded a tinkered .exe K-Meleon v1.5.3 with the mod lizard. It probably will look better on your system than it looks in the image you've posted. It's mainly for testing.
The zip file also contains some lizard icons fitting the official logo (16, 24, 32 and 48px).
Basically they are all slightly modified icons of the original one made by Joseph Connors.

Anybody of you is welcome to try, modify or trash the icons.

download
You will have to enable JavaScript and Cookies in order to download.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 20, 2010 04:06PM

siria
Yes, now the transparency works smiling smiley

It just gets a bit dark in 16px, not much contrast between red and green...

Changing in 1 minute, well sure if one knows how to. But I've spent a decade with computers now and still have no clue how, and reading about resourcehacker that might well work, but getting a new program and checking it out and learning how it works still isn't such a peanut ;-)

Well, since I'm just at it, for casual readers, those are the icons we're talking about, in 16px:

However, if you really want the origins of Gecko, you have to look at Mosaic which was the precursor to Netscape, which begat Mozilla and later K-Meleon. Here is Moasic's original logo in EPS format.

http://gladiator.ncsa.illinois.edu/Images/press-images/mosaiclogo.gif

Having been around awhile, I still like the original, admittedly goofy green lizard.

P.S. Of course, as I've said before, the best theme from my perspective is the original one used by Mozilla which they dumped during development. Early Blue!

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 04:15PM by ndebord.

Date: February 20, 2010 04:28PM

That icon with the red K looks like a big rejecting X.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 20, 2010 08:52PM

Its one of my favorites smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.