Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Memory Leaks
Posted by: Refai
Date: December 22, 2009 01:27PM

Today I was observing the memory consumption of kmeleon and other browsers with respect to video streaming. I opened a youtube video and I saw the memory consumption going up as the video is played, which is normal. (I was happy that memory usage in KMeleon was much less than the others), Now when I close the particular tab. My memors didnot come back to initial level. Lets say Initiall it was 35MB. When meadia was playing It went up to 60 MB, When I close the video, It went down to 37 MB. there was a residue 2 MB leaking. Then I again opened the video and closed the tab this time it was 39 MB. When I did this for some 10/15 videos I was running at 60 MB which was as big as the memory when I was playing the video.
Please check this issue.

Br,
Refai

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Memory Leaks
Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 22, 2009 02:08PM

actually you've just confirmed that there was no memory leaks(i know some browsers devs would kill for a performance like that) but yes, you have a point..that after 2 many "heavy" tabs were opened, the memory did not revert to its exact setting..that's very normal and that's how windows the operating system allocates memory..kmeleon in that case did not ask for them but windows decided this application is running heavy things so i will leave an extra ram for it to see where it's going..now you can do 2 things so you are rest assured:

same steps you did in your last test and after..wait a little and watch the memory usage going down(this will be slow and will require patience) this will be windows deciding..oh ok, that guy has settled down..let's take back those allocated memory..he obviously no longer needs them

or you can simply minimise kmeleon and the memory will revert instantly to its default setting..restore the window and continue browsing

p.s. if you're concerned with memory usage etc, there's an extension to monitor kmeleon's usage in real time there:
http://kmext.sf.net
(i think it's under enhancements or web development..i'm not sure)

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 24, 2009 06:52AM

Leaks is when memory is lost completely during the windows (!) session.

p.s.

The good news:
Win memory management is constantly improving.
The bad news:
It couldn't get worse grinning smiley

Merry xms.

Posted by: caktus
Date: December 28, 2009 10:43PM

guenter
Leaks is when memory is lost completely during the windows (!) session.

p.s.

The good news:
Win memory management is constantly improving.
The bad news:
It couldn't get worse grinning smiley

Actually, I figure it is one of the very few things Windows does best - er. uh, better.grinning smileygrinning smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Jack Aprile
Date: May 12, 2012 04:09PM

OK, I was having the same problem and I downloaded the memory manager and it appears to be working for now. Great. That's the good news. The baad news is that now I only have one option in my tools menu, which is privacy, but I only have the options "Permissions" "View Data" and "Clear Data". I can no longer disable javascript or do any of the other numerous things I could once do in the tools menu, which is one thing I always thought made this browser infinitely better than any other, an "on the fly" disable option that can be toggled on and off easily. Now it's gone.

K-Meleon has really taken in a nose dive in this last week, but it's probably my own fault. When I extracted the Memory Manager to my K-Meleon folder I must have messed something up. Are there any files I can download to restory my Tools Menu back to the way it was? Or am I going to have to uninstall and re-install the program again?

Posted by: Jack Aprile
Date: May 12, 2012 04:30PM

I'm sorry, nevermind. I had disabled my Macros in an effort to try and track down where the leak might have been coming from. When I enabled it and restarted the browser the options came back to me.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.